I want an NVQ!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teena_B

Reaction score
Hi people!:)
Can you give me advice on how to get me the NVQ unit 19 qualification? As I am currently doing a course in gel & fibre glass which finishes at the end of the week, I don't want to have to do a complete course again. Is there a way I can do it by distance learning, or somewhere I can go that I don't have to travel to regularly that's a long way form where I live (Norwich)? I have asked around the local colleges and no-one seems to be doing it. I really want to get this as I want to be the best I possibly can.
Thanks!
Teena

ask chocolate she can help, I've just finished my nvq with her.

I did mine thru local adult ed centre, but i beleive she does arrange home lean, and u just c her to sit exams, and i beleive, u can also arrange 1-on-1 tuition thru certain aspects if ure having ne probs. she's great really helpful, and really puts u at ease when ure scared of failing assesments, she's also a laugh, u'll love her.:)

Either post a thread for her attention, PM her, or go to her site, www.netnails.net

if u decide to do nvq good luck hun!:green:

Yes - I'm doing my NVQ with Chocolate at K-Sa-Ra and I would definitely recommend them. Go for it!

NailNovice2 said:
Yes - I'm doing my NVQ with Chocolate at K-Sa-Ra and I would definitely recommend them. Go for it!
Hi Chris: how long does it take doing it with Chocolate and what is the end qualification?

You have 1 yr to do it in and you get an NVQ at the end of it...Just started mine with Rachel....!
Carole Lindsay said:
Hi Chris: how long does it take doing it with Chocolate and what is the end qualification?

vicky said:
You have 1 yr to do it in and you get an NVQ at the end of it...Just started mine with Rachel....!

How often do you go to classes? What does it entail? Excuse ignorance but is the NVQ the new one that is coming in which is level 3?

the nvq she runs is level 3. i beleive there are all different ways u can do it, if u want u can just complete the portfolio and take the assesments, if u are already trained in all 3 system and just want the qualification. U can also go to a course, loadsa different people run them, such as adult education centres,.

I beleive tho the nvq has just been up-dated and it is made up of modules, like with gnvq's, u have sum compulsory units and sum optional, apparently, nail art, photography, and pedi's are now in it! I think it might b more expensive now, but i wud defo say much better.

Pm chocolate and ask her if she runs ne in ure area and how it all works if u do it thru post.

hope this helps

I don't think the new NVQ has started yet but I'm doing the Unit 19 NVQ which I started in February and have 1 year to complete. You can do it class-based or one-to-one which is dearer and I am sure Rachel would accommodate you some way if there wasn't a tutor near you and you didn't want to travel to Kent, although you would have to go there for the assessments.

Everything that I cover in my current NVQ will get me exemptions from the new one. The new one also covers things like photography, nail art, etc. There are full details on the K-Sa-Ra website or give Rachel a call and I am sure she'll fill you in. It is a hard slog but I am sure you would breeze through it easier than me.

You guys are really helpful! Thanks for your replies, I'm gonna be getting in touch with Chocolate! I just wish my college would do this course, it's a 15 minute drive, and 'cos I already studied there for a year I know people & places there. I'm gonna have words, see if I can't get them to offer this next year. By the looks of things it would be really popular!

From Teena B

hi chocolate told me she should be starting the new nvq in september she should be finding out in august i think xx

Can anyone tell me why they're doing the NVQ unit 19? What does it mean if we don't have this under our belts?

I realise that this unit 19 has been talked about a lot but I'm still confused as to why we need it, whether its compulsory or what it means if we don't do it, or what it gives us if we do do it for that matter?

Can anyone help?:o

Mani-fique! said:
Can anyone tell me why they're doing the NVQ unit 19? What does it mean if we don't have this under our belts?

I realise that this unit 19 has been talked about a lot but I'm still confused as to why we need it, whether its compulsory or what it means if we don't do it, or what it gives us if we do do it for that matter?

Can anyone help?:o
I'm just so glad you asked that question coz i'm getting more and more confused as to what is necessary to practice! Hope somebody comes to our rescue with an answer! :)

For a long time some powers that be have said there will be legislation in the UK that says in order to get a licence we need to have the NVQ - in reality I think the only places who have done this are a couple of boroughs in London.

Don't get me wrong - I am all for some form of legislation but until there is standardisation of procedures I dont ever see it happening - example - some companys teach etch the natural nail with a 100 grit file where some say remove shine with a 240 - quite a difference. Some companys teach to apply product over wet primer where others teach that the natural nail needs to be very dry.

At the moment there is a new NVQ which will come into effect this Summer (I think) which is a stand alone qualification rather than a single unit of a beauty qual - this seems to be a better option for those about to start doing the NVQ if that is the route they want to go.

The only advantage I would have gained from doing the NVQ in the past is that my insurance would have been cheaper which does gall me a little - I have been a tech for 4 years and have regularly done training up to CND Master level but someone with a college NVQ who may not even know how to do a rebalance would get cheaper insurance than I would - sorry to digress.

Even with the NVQ the level of teaching and assessment seems to vary - if I did it then I would look to one of the ANT satallite centres rather than college (dependent on the college tutor - some are exceptional but unfortuantely the exception rather than the rule).

I would much rather see a "Board" made up of industry experts and we had to do an assessment regularly to remain a "member".

Hope this clears up a bit.

Firstly, I did the NVQ19 in a college and can honestly say...I know how to do a rebalance!! You wouldn't pass the assesments if you couldn't!
If you already have been a nail tech for years, there is usually just a 'conversion' you can do for the NVQ without having to do some of the paperwork. I got some of my previous work accredited.
For the unit 19, You wouldn't have to have any more tuition...just prove to them you can do nails! Just take the assesments.( a lot cheaper too!)
I agree that product training is just as good but it is nice to have a standard too. I understand what you say about varying standards but aren't NVQ assesors monitored externally too anyway? ( I know mine was).I know you have to be NVQ trained to work in certain Boroughs of London and maybe this will catch on in other places. To be honest, I hope we do start having some sort of licencing system as there are so many dodgy salons etc out there!But I do also agree that product training can be better than NVQ.For me, the NVQ i s better as if I move to the States - (may do). They recognise NVQ over there but wouldn't licence me with my other product related courses.(In Alabama that is).
I think NVQ is a national standard and it is maybe more difficult to regulate product training...mm dunno if that's the right word - make sure everything is of the same standard.
I think there has been quite a few posts on NVQ unit 19 in the past.
You should do a search to read the other ones.

Sam XX

naturalnails said:
For a long time some powers that be have said there will be legislation in the UK that says in order to get a licence we need to have the NVQ - in reality I think the only places who have done this are a couple of boroughs in London.
So does 'get a licence' mean for those who are salon based and does this mean that for the humble homebased or mobile nail technician that even if legislation dictates that it wouldn't apply to them?

I trained with CND (homebased/mobile) so if I wasn't to do it would it matter? I have read the other posts regarding this unit 19 but the more I read the more I get confused as one point ends up in another.

As I've heard so many doing the NVQ who are Creative trained I wasn't sure whether it was something that was necessary.

If a licence was introduced, then I would assume it would be for everyone, mobile, home based or in a salon - like in some states in America.
I think your best bet is to ask geek, chocolate or geeg - They know a hell of a lot more about this whole thing than I do!
I wouldn't want to tell you the wrong things and I have learnt a lot from their previous posts on this subject.

Sam XX

Mani-fique! said:
So does 'get a licence' mean for those who are salon based and does this mean that for the humble homebased or mobile nail technician that even if legislation dictates that it wouldn't apply to them?

I trained with CND (homebased/mobile) so if I wasn't to do it would it matter? I have read the other posts regarding this unit 19 but the more I read the more I get confused as one point ends up in another.

As I've heard so many doing the NVQ who are Creative trained I wasn't sure whether it was something that was necessary.

There is no licensing in the UK - except for the couple of boroughs in London.

There has been so much publicity over the years about this and some salons may ask you to have the NVQ to get a job there but there is no reason why - legally (except in London)

If and when Legislation comes in to the whole of the UK (OMG did you see that pig fly by LOL) then it should be compulsory for all wherever you are based but then there will be people who are not obvious in say a salon that may keep their heads down (naughty!) They will never have the manpower to enforce this, and that is why I think it will never work - we need to enforce it from within rather than look to outside agencies to do it.

I think there are a few people who will do their NVQ because they want to get into educating and more power to their elbow - if they are highly trained through top end companys then this will help to improve the quality of the NVQ training.

To answer your question Tamm, I personally dont see it as worth your while unless you are wanting a job in a salon and it will look good on your CV, or you want to go into educating. It is a lot of paperwork and I think your current education - as long as you maintain it, will be better quality!

Picture the scene - Tony Blair in the Houses of Parliament weighing up the pros and cons of nail legislation compared with his election campaign, war on wherever - no contest - nails would win hands down LOL!

Fiona - Please stop putting down the NVQ qualification. I am working towards my Unit 19 as well as Creative Masters and I don't find one easier than the other. It is really disheartening to everyone who has an NVQ or is working towards one to hear time and time again negative comments from other nail technicians - it is even worse when they are experience nail technicians! Go and get your NVQ and you will find out through experience the standard demanded. I know nail technicians who have done a Creative foundation class never to do any subsequent classes so you can imagine how limited their knowlege is. What we need is encouragement not constant criticism. What chance does the NVQ have of being recognised when nail technicians are constantly being negative about it. Please don't be a Creative snob. It is a great achievement for you to get your Masters which I hope to achieve eventually, but please ...

NailNovice2 said:
Fiona - Please stop putting down the NVQ qualification. I am working towards my Unit 19 as well as Creative Masters and I don't find one easier than the other. It is really disheartening to everyone who has an NVQ or is working towards one to hear time and time again negative comments from other nail technicians - it is even worse when they are experience nail technicians! Go and get your NVQ and you will find out through experience the standard demanded. I know nail technicians who have done a Creative foundation class never to do any subsequent classes so you can imagine how limited their knowlege is. What we need is encouragement not constant criticism. What chance does the NVQ have of being recognised when nail technicians are constantly being negative about it. Please don't be a Creative snob. It is a great achievement for you to get your Masters which I hope to achieve eventually, but please ...

I apologise Chris and anyone else who thinks I am a Creative snob and constantly putting down the NVQ. Out of interest why did you feel the need to do both?

I have every respect for people who do intensive training and like you I don't agree with technicians who have only done their foundation class or 2 day courses with whoever and then NEVER DO ANYTHING ELSE.

I am speaking from my experience of starting the NVQ at my local college - the tutor asked me if I did acrylic nails - I said I did and she asked me to do one on her - I came with my kit and started to prep her nail and when I went to apply a tip she stopped me and said she wanted an acrylic nail - was I wrong to have no faith in that tutor? What she wanted was a sculptured L&P nail.

I am not a Creative snob - I trained with them 3-4 years ago and then went off to do other training and use other products and I only came back to them last year when I proved to myself that it was the best for me and my business.

At the end of the day the NVQ (and other courses) unfortunately is only as good as the tutor and if you get a good tutor then you will work hard and get a qualification to be proud of. I am glad that you are working towards this and I wish you the best of luck with it.

I hardly had any paperwork for my NVQ unit 19. I don't understand why you think there is so much?
It was easy. I did it just to get the piece of paper though as it is recognised everywhere. I'm glad I got it too!

Latest posts

Back