I want red hair... if i dont like it, can i go back brown????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g5m_sh

Reaction score
Hiya geeks!

I am thinking of going red... if i don't like it, can i just go back brown?

Never been red before, but have been blonde. When i have gone back brown, i have always died it red 1st then brown so it should work... but thought i would ask some pro's 1st!

xxx

Hi. :)
Why don't you try a semi-permanent red first to see how you like it? Sometimes I wish I'd never gone down the road of permanent colours and just stuck with the semi's, I liked being able to change colours whenever I wanted and being able to be a bit BOLD sometimes and then a month or two later something a lot more subtle.
Just an idea :D

Don't know if this is any help, but I am a natural red head, and sometimes get fed up with the colour. Anyway, a few years ago I had a load of blonde highlights in, and after having had them for a while, I decided to go back to red.

Instead of doing the sensible thing and getting my very good hairdresser sister to sort it out, I bought a L'oreal colour and did it myself - OMG total disaster!!!! The colour on the box looked like my natural colour, but when I'd done it, I looked like a very patchy traffic light - not quite what I wanted!!! :eek:

I called sis in a panic, and then she evened out the colour, and then I went brown for a while (the colour I had used was a permanent). It was fine.

Moral of this story - yes you could go brown if you didn't like it, and don't do what I did!!!! (Oh yeh, also red fades easy, but your hairdresser will tell you that)

Good luck xxx

With me been dark would i have to get my hair lightened 1st?

If i just get a red over my brown, then later want it a brighter red can i get it lightened with the red already on??

That sounds confusing doesn't it?

Hope you's know what i mean!

Im a mousey brown crap colour naturally & dyed red, I love the colour, i even went a brighter red a few weeks ago, Go for it I say!! I also use Aveda madder root conditioner which makes the colour last really well too!!

Not advice really which is what you are after, but more of a go for it cheer!!!!

What colour did you do it?? xx

my real hair color is dark brown i think
i have ben dyeing my hair since i was 13
for the past 6 years i hair has ben flaming fire red
and in light i have pink strips with red

Hi Gemma.

Did you want red lowlights (foils) or an all over on the scalp red?

It is possible to do it without bleaching it, you would need a high lift red tint.

Also it really depends on what colour brown you are now, and is it your natural colour?, as to what red it will become.

You will need your hairdresser to do it though. Magma by wella do a nice high lift red, which can be use on either coloured or natural hair, and will lift it to the desired colour. Also L'oreal majirouge /majicontrast are really nice as well. Magenta is a colour i use a lot of for red lowlights for my clients in the loreal majicontrast range.

However if you wanted to go back from red to blond this could be a problem because red is the hardest colour to lift and you may well end up with a pinky colour, plus it would have to be bleached and then the condition of your hair would suffer. No guarantee the blonde would completely lift out all the red!!

My advise is to have a full head of red lowlights done with foil at a salon. If you really like the colour, and want to stick with it then next time go for the full head all over the scalp colour.

The lowlights would mingle with the brown , and because they are bright , they will look stunning.

If they are done properly you will love it. Make sure you use a shampoo for red coloured hair to keep them looking brighter for longer.

I have a client who has this color all over, and she loves it. Her hair is short and funky.

Remember if you go for the all over option you will have a regrowth when it starts growing and will need touching up every 3 -4 weeks.

Red lowlights - my opinion. Go for it.:hug::hug:

Elaine xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug:

I used to have really bright red hair, I wanted to go lighter but my hairdresser said its really difficult to lighten red hair as red's one of those colours you can never get rid of.

He put a brown on it to get it back to my natural colour and now I'm waiting for it to grow out (won't take too long - I have short hair) and then I can have it lightened.

The brown over the red took fine though so I would have thought it would be okay.

I'm having copper chunks put in tomorrow Gemma, so we may clash if we go out! LOL

hi
agree with everything thats been said really. as you can c on my pic im red, well was till today!! i used to be bleached blonde, then when dark the red. i have gone a brown colour today. depending on the redness of your hair there may still be a hint of warmth in the brown but that can be pulled out if you want it it be..

I am normally chocolate brown but over the years I have tried almost everything. My last blast of red was a chocolate/nr black bob cut to the jaw line and then another bob underneath bright red. Was cool a the time.

Anyway Wella magma was used, this lifted the colour so I did not have to pre lighten. The results was pillow box red, a dramatic effect which I wanted.

The only down point was wella magma did not seal the colour in and rubbed on anything white, pillowcases, shirts ect. The colour never faded though.

Hi Gemma.

Did you want red lowlights (foils) or an all over on the scalp red?

all over red

It is possible to do it without bleaching it, you would need a high lift red tint.

Also it really depends on what colour brown you are now, and is it your natural colour?, as to what red it will become.

Dark brown - natural colour

You will need your hairdresser to do it though. Magma by wella do a nice high lift red, which can be use on either coloured or natural hair, and will lift it to the desired colour. Also L'oreal majirouge /majicontrast are really nice as well. Magenta is a colour i use a lot of for red lowlights for my clients in the loreal majicontrast range.

However if you wanted to go back from red to blond this could be a problem because red is the hardest colour to lift and you may well end up with a pinky colour, plus it would have to be bleached and then the condition of your hair would suffer. No guarantee the blonde would completely lift out all the red!!

My advise is to have a full head of red lowlights done with foil at a salon. If you really like the colour, and want to stick with it then next time go for the full head all over the scalp colour.

The lowlights would mingle with the brown , and because they are bright , they will look stunning.

EEEk... i only want it one colour

If they are done properly you will love it. Make sure you use a shampoo for red coloured hair to keep them looking brighter for longer.

I have a client who has this color all over, and she loves it. Her hair is short and funky.

I am gonna cop mine off so its like my pic (its below my chin at the min)

Remember if you go for the all over option you will have a regrowth when it starts growing and will need touching up every 3 -4 weeks.

Red lowlights - my opinion. Go for it.:hug::hug:

Elaine xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug:

Thanks elaine....

I am hopefully at the hairdressers tomorrow to get it chopped off, so i will get her to look at it then.
xx

my real hair color is dark brown i think
i have ben dyeing my hair since i was 13
for the past 6 years i hair has ben flaming fire red
and in light i have pink strips with red

do you have to bleach it to get it flaming fire red???

I'm having copper chunks put in tomorrow Gemma, so we may clash if we go out! LOL

Hahaha... cant wait to see your new hair...

hi
agree with everything thats been said really. as you can c on my pic im red, well was till today!! i used to be bleached blonde, then when dark the red. i have gone a brown colour today. depending on the redness of your hair there may still be a hint of warmth in the brown but that can be pulled out if you want it it be..

I like your colour... do you think i could go this colour but then go brighter later on?? nor would this not work???

I am normally chocolate brown but over the years I have tried almost everything. My last blast of red was a chocolate/nr black bob cut to the jaw line and then another bob underneath bright red. Was cool a the time.

Anyway Wella magma was used, this lifted the colour so I did not have to pre lighten. The results was pillow box red, a dramatic effect which I wanted.

The only down point was wella magma did not seal the colour in and rubbed on anything white, pillowcases, shirts ect. The colour never faded though.

Dont want that to happen....

So..... if i go red (any shade) and dont like it... its fine to just colour over with a brown??????

I used to have really bright red hair, I wanted to go lighter but my hairdresser said its really difficult to lighten red hair as red's one of those colours you can never get rid of.

He put a brown on it to get it back to my natural colour and now I'm waiting for it to grow out (won't take too long - I have short hair) and then I can have it lightened.

The brown over the red took fine though so I would have thought it would be okay.

sorry didnt see you post saying it was fine to die it brown!!! xxx

Latest posts

Back