I want to be a nail tech, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmerswife

Reaction score
Hi all, please do shout at me if I've gone about this in the wrong way as I'm newly registered on this site.
Basically I currently work in a gift shop three days a week but would desperately love a job I can do from home, to work around my children and family life as my husband is a farmer and never home. I'm limited as to childcare options for my 3 year old and also evenings from the time my older daughters are home from school.
I absolutely LOVE my Gelish nails & have started looking into & consulting with a friend who has her own beauty business, the possibility of learning the art of gel nails and undertaking some training courses.

My problem is I don't know which course to choose! I don't know if I should pick a college course-which offers a Diploma, or do a Shellac/Gelish course with one of those brands, or to go to a different company which just offeres non-specific nail training courses.

I was so surprised to learn that most courses are only two days!..one to learn basic manicure skills & one to learn Gel Nail application.
Also, prices to tend to vary hugely?
Does anyone have a strong preference for Gelish or Shallac?

I've come up against a few nasty comments in my quest for further info, I'm merely a young mum looking to do work I enjoy, to earn a living to support my family & be at home as much as possible..I hope my comments don't sound nieve or patronising to you pro nail techs out there..please be gentle with me, everyone has to start somewhere xxxx

hi , firstly i would recommend college , and do a basic manicure , pedicure NVQ. Then you can do a course with sweetsquared for shellac (the training is great). I like both shellac and gelish and could not really pick between the 2.

Hi there, I'm sorry you've come across some negativity in the past but overall we're a decent bunch here :)

Speaking only from personal experience, I'd highly recommend the CND courses. I believe they're undergoing a period of revamping but their CND Naturally course covered mani and pedi, polish application, colour theory and also Shellac. Not forgetting all the theory, product chemistry, health & safety, anatomy etc. Price also included a ginormous kit with all you need to get going :)

Give Sweet Squared a call and they'll help you with all you need to know and put you in touch with your nearest educator. Sorry I'm on the hop so don't have their number to hand.

I see you love your Gelish and I'm sure one of the Gelish geeks can advise on similar Nail Harmony courses :)

Hope that helps xx

Welcome - you have come to the right place for advice!!

I would definitely choose a product based learning course, either Shellac with CND or Gelish with Nail Harmony.

Check out Courses and
Nail Harmony UK | Education

xx

Ooh, how exciting, I remember when I was first starting up. So many decisions to make.
Personally I would say to do an NVQ in nails, maybe even Beauty Therapy, which would include nails as you may find once you've started that you want to branch out.
It's addictive, I'll never stop doing new courses and updating.
Once you have your basic mani and pedi qualification then choose a brand you like, I'm a Shellac girl and you find a lot of clients ask for it by name but as you're mastering the basics you'll find a brand that's right for you in the meantime.
Good luck.
Xx

I am in Canada and I'm not able to offer you advice WHERE to take a course but I would definitely consider starting with a CND Shellac course or Harmony Gelish Course. As mentioned already, CND offers a very extensive education on everything having to do with manicures and product... and the product is fantastic! I hear Gelish is awesome too.
I'm very sorry that you got some negativity elsewhere. You won't here, everyone is awesome, willing to help and give advice if you ask.
A certified course is only just the beginning of your learning and the sky is the limit to product and services. You will find lots of ideas and resources on this forum alone so stay with us and visit often!
Best of luck to you!

Gelish are fab to train with, can't recommend them more!

Also just FYI it's hard starting up a business from home but persevere, you really have to have your advertising head on and push your way through because in a salon you get walk ins but in your home you won't.

Good luck and I hope you find all the info you need xx

Thank you all for your fantastic advice!!! So some people think college course, some think a course with a brand..I guess I couldn't go wrong with either as opinions are quite even. I agree about wanting to do more, it's quite exciting thinking about it all & I hope I make a good nail tech/therapist!!
Thanks again!
Kirsty xxx

Latest posts

Back