I want to leave my beauty job. Is this crazy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
Ok so I work in a job in the beauty industry and I've not been there a long long long term time but I've been there a respectable enough amount of time to show that I've got to know the job and given a lot of time and energy to it (hope that makes sense!)

I don't want to go into specifics here because I prefer to use salongeek anon so that I can ask these sort of questions but basically I'm so unhappy at where I work that I can't stand another day there. I've always maintained that for minimum wage, if something makes you that unhappy on a general basis when you're not even in work then frankly, that's when it's time to throw in the towel. As I say, I'm not gonna go into it but the extent to which I'm unhappy there is such that leaving my job seems like the only option. I guess you could say I'm desperate (sorry!)...it affects my train of thought wayyyy too much yannow?!

Ideally I would like to have secured a new job ready for when I leave but I'm aware that if I can't do that, I still want to leave my current job anyway. But I'm asking myself if I hate it that much that I'm willing to risk not being able to afford to run my car? For what it's worth I live with my parents so I'm not responsible for paying all the bills and I have no children. So in the worst case scenario I wouldn't have the wolf at the door with no income but at the same time I would kick myself for leaving my job if I was still without an income months later as a result of this.

For what it's worth, I'm not fussy about what work I do in beauty, part time, full time, moving to a different location...as long as they pay me via PAYE I'll be happy (I don't want to be self employed ideally) so I see myself as someone who has a level of flexibility that gives me a chance...even if paid minimum wage I'd be willing to consider a job that cost 2 hours worth of wages to travel to on a daily basis if it seemed like a worthwhile opportunity.

In the worst case scenario, I would do any job I could...I would much rather be in the beauty industry but regretably, I would search for non beauty work if needed to keep things ticking over.

But I'm asking myself if maybe I should try growing a pair and sticking at my current job for a bit longer? Try to resolve some issues I'm not happy with? I don't know though because I have good enough reason to believe that this could make things worse.

Hope this all makes sense and to get some helpful answers. What would you do? I could really do with some advice on this, particularly from salon geek because I know you guys will understand how important it feels to have a job in the beauty industry whilst being aware of the pitfalls that can come with that if you're working at a place that you really aren't happy at.

Help!

Edit: I love beauty and I love doing treatments so I definately know that it is the place of work that is making me unhappy rather than the industry itself. Things that I value are having a good cv and experience in the industry.

Last edited:
sooo think from reading what you said you should first of all try to sort things out at work see if you can make it any better and in the meantime look for another beauty job - looks good to already be in employment rather than out of work

and ultimately if its making you really unhappy and theres no change then just leave lifes too short to be unhappy at work

Whereabouts in Birmingham are you? How far would you be prepared to travel? I'm just asking because I am after a full time beauty therapist to start asap :D

It's hard to advise you when you're not giving much away about why you are unhappy where you are. Some things are easily fixed, some things not so much. I also use this site anonymously and keep my location that was because it's a small town and I would easily be recognised but perhaps a slight insight might help us advise you better.

If you honestly feel that the situation cannot be reversed or changed to a point when you are happy then I think maybe it's time to at least think about moving on more seriously and applying for jobs within a chosen radius. This is meant to be one of the "happiest" work sectors and if you are not finding that it is it's time to change.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
This is true when you say that this is meant to be a happy sector of work...in that respect, i guess its important not to lose sight of why i want to be in this industry....i sure didnt do all that training and career changing to be miserable.

Without wanting to go into much more detail, im not happy with how things are being run both in terms of the actual running of things and the politics surrounding that...its making me feel uncomfortable to be there. On the one hand i think it would be commendable to myself to stay there because that would take strength and longetivity is good for the cv but on the other hand i dont think there would be any shame in choosing to remove myself from a job where i think i am treated in a way that is less than well. Im not asking for the red carpet treatment, just simple stuff.

What would you geeks do? I dont want to struggle for money in terms of finding another job and i dont want to look like someone who cant stay in a job on my cv but i dont want to be unhappy either.

Im guessing with some beauty jobs, people dont last long if theyre not treated well? Like im thinking this isnt too unusual?

If it's upsetting you to this degree then it's a problem, no matter what anyone else thinks. You say you still love the beauty sector so the problem clearly lies in the salon you are working in. If you are not being treated with respect and you dread going in to the point where you would give up your beauty career then clearly you will need to get out of that salon. Why would you give up a career you worked hard at??? If you want to remain in the beauty sector then you will need to make choices. You either try to get into another salon or you work for yourself. Maybe you would need too much equipment to be self employed in which case you may need to take a different job to save up and get yourself what you need to start up and remember to start slowly. Choose a treatment you know you are good at and go with that for a while and then gradually build on that. This problem is unlikely to go away. Sounds to me like it has been building up in you for a long time and you have now come here for advice. In my opinion change will need to happen.

Personally I think you're over complicating things. If you're not happy in your current employment and you have given it long enough to know that the things that you can change, or try to change havent or wont, then its time to move on. I know theyre words that people throw around lightly but life really IS too short to be that unhappy for such a large portion of your life. I am so unhappy at work I feel sick going in, I would just jack it in but I ahve bills, a husband who has been made redundant and a child so right now isnt the time to leave and go self employed.

To me, if you like beauty but dislike your job, then its a no-brainer, start looking for work in another salon. If you have a good cv and are confident in your treatments then I am sure you'll find something else particularly if you are willing to travel. Hopefully you will find something before you have to leave your current place of work but if it really is making you that unhappy, start your job search now and if you have to leave and work part time in a pub or something to get by, then fine.

You are in a pretty lucky place in that you have the world at your feet, so make the most of it and do what you want to do. No one is going to give you a pat on the back of sticking it out. As long as youre not job jumping all the time, then I dont see the problem really. Good luck, I hope you find something great!!!

The pragmatic think to do would be to start looking for a new beauty job and also sending speclutative cv's out in the hope of getting another job.

Once you have something you give your notice and move on.

If you've been unhappy for a while its something you could have been doing for a while

Good luck

Thanks everyone...im anxious that i wont be able to find another job but i need to be positive because i cant stay there anymore, was crying last night so for the sake of min wage its getting ridiculous. im sure weve all been through this sort of thing and got through it in the end.

You will come through this. Eventually it may even prove to be the making of you.

You have to find the self belief and inner strenght within yourself to move on and get out the situation with your sanity intact.

Its not easy when we're depressed but trust me we all have the survival instinct to operate in this messed up world.

Maybe you should work on your self confidence before tackling the job situation.

You'll feelso much better just sorting your cv and getting your head into a new phase of life mind.

Best of luck

Latest posts

Back