I want to leave the industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donzai

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I could really use your support on here, so here I go.
I have been a therapist for 15 years and lecturing for 2 years and I must say, even though teaching can be stressful I do enjoy it. I have been going through a lot this year that has made me want to leave because I feel like we are not appreciated or we'll paid enough and would like to stop performing treatments all together at this point. One of my main reasons are clients, I temp quite alot when I'm not teaching so I do work at different salons quite a bit. I feel the complain culture has gotten so out of hand it is actually affecting my mental health, I question myself, my confidence is knocked and I don't want to touch anyone anymore. Of course clients are lovely but some people will complain about the littlest thing it's shocking. I have been searching for a job role that is behind the scenes but have not been successful thus far. Does anyone else feel like this?

Hello I am sorry you feel like this- I haven’t experienced this much at all- I have worked in the same salon for 9 years so see a lot of the same clients which I think probably makes a huge difference- you say you are in different salons maybe not having that really regular relationship with clients can make a difference as you get to know clients better when you see them regularly- a lot of the time i find the clients that start of abit difficult end up the ones you get in really we with and you just learn that it’s there personality and the way they are rather than taking things personally and being offended by them. If it is affecting your mental health then maybe you should leave the industry as your health is most important- if you are not happy in the job anymore and probably lost your passion for beauty then find something else maybe even something completely different- you can always come back into the industry anyway so you don’t have much to loose by Leaving as you are not happy how things are so make a change! I’m sorry you feel like this though I love beauty and am really lucky to have nice clients as this is a really important part of the job so I can see if you have clients that just complain all the time it can really grate on you and make u feel down.

Thanks for your response.
When I had my home business I had great relationships with my clients and didn't experience all this negativity. I am struggling to zone in what career switch I should take. Only time will tell.

It's sad that you feel like ths but reading your post makes me think that you have answered your own question really.
Why not go back to being self employed? continue with your teaching , but perhaps reduce those hours so that the home salon working becomes attractive again.

Self employed as you will know brings on different stresses all of its own , but you may be able to manage the not such nice moaners a lot better.
Don't give your skills up, there is a niche for you to have older clients maybe. Those that like a well educated therapist with loads of experience of the job and life.

I am lucky to have some very loyal clients, laughed and cried a lot over the years with the stresses of life, but just generally nice. Not all , but your people skills will be able to manage the odd one or two.
My work collegue got head hunted to work at our college offering VTCT in Beauty therapy, she did it for around 15 years and gave up her clients which was sad. Is she happier than me ?? Who can quantify happiness betwen individuals ....it's your main goal , just to be happy !
I have a good work /life balance ...getting time off more and more as I get older. However my 37 years as a therapist proves I won't be changing my career anytime soon.LOL.

I hope I can convince you to think about home again...I love it .
Rosie

Thanks for the lovely message and response. I think I am at a point in my life where I need a change. I studied level 4 and have not yet secured a permanent position in this field as most places want experience!!! Sometimes I think its the universe telling me to leave it alone!

Thanks for the lovely message and response. I think I am at a point in my life where I need a change. I studied level 4 and have not yet secured a permanent position in this field as most places want experience!!! Sometimes I think its the universe telling me to leave it alone!

I disagree , it is the universe telling you to start on your own and let your skills and experience grow gradually. Don't throw it all away.
I have considered other careers and I cannot think that there is another job that will make me happier.
I am sure that beauty therapy is possibly the top or near the top for job satisfaction and happiness. Give it a fresh try , will take a while to build clients up. Then change your career if you really can't stand it.

Best of luck
Rosie

Maybe consider booking an appointment with a careers counsellor?
Also, you could try some of the free online careers quizzes where you answer lots of questions about your skills, experience and interests and it will flag up potential career options that match some of your answers. You can find them just by googling.

I think it’s not uncommon to swap careers 2 or 3 times during your working lifetime so you’re definitely not alone in feeling burnt out.

I feel like this too and I have another skill which is completely different to beauty therapy.
If I could get a job tomorrow I would seriously consider selling my salon as I am bored. For me the beauty industry isn’t what it use to be when I studied 20 years ago. I loved it back then but not now.
x

Latest posts

Back