I want to start my own salon...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ms.Matrix

Tweetacular Geek!
Reaction score
And I need to know what steps do I take?? I know first things first I need to get my manicurist licensing, but after that how do I get things moving along...I've been to Entreprenurial training and all of that, but what are the pitfalls of opening a "nails only" salon? Is it viable in this day or would I need to offer more, such as facials and massages.

I want it to be a ver posh and upscale place, I want my clients to come in and feel relaxed, I want CUSTOMER SERVICE to be at it's peak, so again aside from the licensing are there any seasoned professionals out there willing to share some pearls of wisdom...not only for me, but for other salon owner hopefuls out there??

Woooooww, no ideas, responses...nothing? Yoooohooo anybody there? :rolleyes:

Dont do it ! ................
no seriously its best to check out the area as they all say "Location, location, location" that is the key. Check out the competition. Contact your local council for any regulations and stipulations, tax office and fire agencies etc etc... and do lots of publicity once the salon gets up and going. Always offer a quality service and if your employing staff make sure you contact ACAS to find out all employment laws etc.... Hope this helps.

PS. Good luck. let me know how you get on. X

Yolanda whatever you do I hope you are extremely happy and extremely successful
xxxx:green: :hug:

I have read the article..which is wonderful!!! :hug: but I just also wanted to hear some of the other geeks opinions and views :)

hi yolanda, i went to LA last year and i did see alot of nail only salons, the couple that caught my eye had about four couches in a row and two nail techs working on each client so they were having a manicure and a pedicure at the same time, they were pretty speedy but the clients all looked really relaxed, my sister in law says she goes regularly, the only extra treatment they offered aside form nails was indian head massage, having those three treatments at the same time....bliss! good luck with it all, let us know how you get on xx

Yolanda, if it is what you really want to do then go for it, BUT I would certainly wait a while until you have had your gastric bypass which will be approved this time I hope.

Yolanda, if it is what you really want to do then go for it, BUT I would certainly wait a while until you have had your gastric bypass which will be approved this time I hope.
...Yeah, that and my nail license! :) I intend on going back to school after the bypass then....LOOK OUT WORLD!!!! :lol:

Hi Yolanda

I would start with a business plan - I know it sounds boring but think of it as your start up manual. A good business plan will focus your mind, refine your idea, define your market, help you formulate a 'to do' list, order your tasks, show you your weaknesses and of course show you your strengths.

The business plan will tell you what you need to do, then you can post questions on here for each section - MUCH easier to answer!! LOL:)

Do a google search on business plan templates- there are millions of free ones on the web - try and go for a banks own version, they give them away free and are usually written with experience and expertise.

If you are struggling I can give you a few links.

Good luck
x

Hi Yolanda

I would start with a business plan - I know it sounds boring but think of it as your start up manual. A good business plan will focus your mind, refine your idea, define your market, help you formulate a 'to do' list, order your tasks, show you your weaknesses and of course show you your strengths.

The business plan will tell you what you need to do, then you can post questions on here for each section - MUCH easier to answer!! LOL:)

Do a google search on business plan templates- there are millions of free ones on the web - try and go for a banks own version, they give them away free and are usually written with experience and expertise.

If you are struggling I can give you a few links.

Good luck
x
Thanks for the tip hun! :hug: I had to do a business plan for my last business...boring, but necessary aren't they? :rolleyes:

I have a lot of ideas in mind though!

Latest posts

Back