I want to train as a Beautician

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SexyLegs

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Don't know if I am in the right place, but I am interested in training as a Beautician.

Little bit about me, I currently work in IT but am taking voluntary redundancy at end of June when I will relocate to Newbury area.

Can anyone recommend the best course or courses and where to do these. I was thinking of doing the NVQ2, I have the study book which I have started reading through. My plan is to do an intensive course and get the qualification, Is this the best way to do it.

I would then like to get a job in a Salon to gain experience with long term plan of becomming mobile.

The areas of beauty I would be interested in are

Nails - Manicure, Acrylics etc etc.
Facials
Head Massage
Makeup

Not sure about the Waxing and Eyebrow stuff.

I am 43 so will age be a problem. Is it better to do short course in each area and become expert in one field rather than trying to be an master in all. NVQ v Short courses. What is best way to get a job without experience.

Sorry for all the questions and hope you can give me some advice.

Thanks

Hi there,

I'm in exactly the same position in you and was wondering are you any further forward with your decision.
Like you I'm looking at the NVQ L2 or a C&G Diploma L2 via an intensive Short Course or Home Study...

Where are you looking at Studying/Training?

I was 38/39 (i think) lol when i started out...

I completed my CND foundation & Brisa.

CND Spa Mani & Pedi

Then went on to complete Tanning with Couture.

I went to Pinks Academy to wax.

I then rented a room for a year, then moved into my own salon which is now in its second year & doing very well, I havent looked back.

There are plenty of more courses I would love to do but I stuck to the basics to begin with and this has enabled me to work on few skills at a time and master those before i move on.

I did each one as i could afford to do them, I wasnt working at the time either, i saved what i earned from the nails to pay for the other courses, it was difficult but i worked my a** off to get there.

Age is not a barrier in fact my age and life experience has helped me, my salon is like a drop in centre for the over 25's ... jsut the way I like it lol

Good luck, it can be done with blood sweat & tears x

Hi there,

I'm in exactly the same position in you and was wondering are you any further forward with your decision.
Like you I'm looking at the NVQ L2 or a C&G Diploma L2 via an intensive Short Course or Home Study...

Where are you looking at Studying/Training?

Hi I am in the envestigation stage, and want to make sure I invest in the right courses/training.

I am currently based in Harrow MIddlesex but will relocate to Newbury at end of June.

I am thinking that maybe short courses in chosen areas maybe the way to go, so long as they provide the certificate and health and safety aspect, but I could be wrong.

My local college was doing an evening course, but I though it was just to vague to be any good and there was no certificates etc. so I'd rather spend my money on the right type of thing.

I also plan to setup my conservatory as a room that people could visit me at my house. I guess its getting the experience as well though.

I'll post on here things that I find out.

I was 38/39 (i think) lol when i started out...

I completed my CND foundation & Brisa.

CND Spa Mani & Pedi

Then went on to complete Tanning with Couture.

I went to Pinks Academy to wax.

I then rented a room for a year, then moved into my own salon which is now in its second year & doing very well, I havent looked back.

There are plenty of more courses I would love to do but I stuck to the basics to begin with and this has enabled me to work on few skills at a time and master those before i move on.

I did each one as i could afford to do them, I wasnt working at the time either, i saved what i earned from the nails to pay for the other courses, it was difficult but i worked my a** off to get there.

Age is not a barrier in fact my age and life experience has helped me, my salon is like a drop in centre for the over 25's ... jsut the way I like it lol

Good luck, it can be done with blood sweat & tears x

Thanks for all your advise, I really have a lot of homework and investigating to do with the way to go about this.

I am thinking of setting up my conseratory as a treatment room as I have parking for 2-3 cars so that might work quite well once I had done the training.

How did you build up your experience, did you practice on friends and family give special offers etc.

I have also thought of one avenue of business of going to these sheltered housing places and give facials, manicures acrylic nails etc or is that a no brainer.

cheers again for your advise, its so good to hear from those that have already done it and how they managed to get there.

D

sheltered housing might be good for basic manicure, I used to work in a nursing/residential home and the residents used to love having their fortnightly manicures.

Oh and age is no problem, I started last Sept at my local college in beauty level 2 and am planning on doing level 3 too and I am 42. If you can get on with younger people then you will be ok - or you can find evening courses but these usually take longer. Dont know your area so cant advise on any private training providers to try out.

I would say - try a general beauty course, that way you can try out all the treatments, you never know you might not like doing manicure and acrylics and find your a natural at waxing etc.:green:
A beauty course wont cover Indian Head massage tho, not a level 2 course anyway. But you can take this as a separate course.

Good luck in whatever way you decide to go - im sure you will love it!

Latest posts

Back