I want to train in Shellac, where do I start?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHNOR

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to offer shellac, i'm a holistic therapist by trade & don't know much about nails/beauty from a professional point of view.

The plan is to do a mani & pedi course that somewhere local to me is offering, then contact CND and do the one day shellac brings them back course with them, is this the correct route?

I've looked at the website and noticed it said you must bring your own shellac kit, lamp & manicure products. Any idea what this will cost me (the course plus VAT and the shellac and mani kit) I need to budget & possibly save first, times are hard at the minute. Also, what other products do I need to offer this service? Nail table, lots of different colour shellac etc..? Thing is, I need to make sure I can invest financially first and if it's worth it?

Also, that's as far as I want to go with regards to nail training, don't want to learn nail enhancements etc.. Is shellac more of a treatment for natural nails? Could I also shellac somebody if they came with acrylic nails on?

Thank you in advance xx

We aren't allowed to discuss prices on this forum. There are several starter kits that you can purchase for Shellac, your best bet would be to contact s2 and find out the prices etc and they may be able to point you in the right direction for manicure and pedicure courses too.

You can call s2 on 0845 2106060

Xx

Thank you for your reply, wasn't aware we couldn't discuss prices, so apologies!

Can i just ask is this more of a treatment for natural nails, and it won't be a problem if i don't offer any other nail services?

Also, would i need to purchase a lot of equipment to offer this treatment mobile? Or would it just be a nail table & obviously my mani, pedi & shellac eqpt?

Thank you.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to offer shellac, i'm a holistic therapist by trade & don't know much about nails/beauty from a professional point of view.

The plan is to do a mani & pedi course that somewhere local to me is offering, then contact CND and do the one day shellac brings them back course with them, is this the correct route?

I've looked at the website and noticed it said you must bring your own shellac kit, lamp & manicure products. Any idea what this will cost me (the course plus VAT and the shellac and mani kit) I need to budget & possibly save first, times are hard at the minute. Also, what other products do I need to offer this service? Nail table, lots of different colour shellac etc..? Thing is, I need to make sure I can invest financially first and if it's worth it?

Also, that's as far as I want to go with regards to nail training, don't want to learn nail enhancements etc.. Is shellac more of a treatment for natural nails? Could I also shellac somebody if they came with acrylic nails on?

Thank you in advance xx

Shellac was made primarily for the natural nail market and for woman who love their nails and who want a manicure that lasts beautifully for more than just a few days.

Shellac can also be used to provide long lasting colour over enhancements, but a good professional polish will also do that job very adequately over enhanced nails.

If you want to be successful with Shellac, it is really paramount that you know how to apply polish to a professional standard; if you don't, then you will have to learn ... I hope you choose a manicure course that concentrates on polishing skill because every problem that some people encounter with Shellac is because they are not skilled at applying polish. Experienced nail technicians never have problems with Shellac (because they already are skilled at applying polish before they buy into it) . Simply relying only on a manicure class is probably not going to give you that skill.

Perhaps arrange first to do some 121 training with the CND Shellac Education Ambassador re polishing before taking the Shellac class.

As to furthering your nail skills ... Many have said exactly what you have said, "That is as far as I want to go with nail training." :biggrin: Just wait until you start turning business away because you can't extend or repair a client's broken nail/s when they ask you to! You might just change your mind on that one (as many others are doing). You will want to add Brisa Lite removable Smoothing gel to your range for those who need more than a power polish, and eventually Brisa Lite removable Sculpting gel for those who need enhancements ... It's a logical progression and if you are successful, you are going to want to go along that route. Whatever you think right now ... You just are not aware of the possibilities that await you. :hug:

Ring Sweet Squared on 08452106060 and enquire about the Shellac Kit, equipment and the location of your nearest genuine CND Shellac Education Ambassador. Good luck

Shellac was made primarily for the natural nail market and for woman who love their nails and who want a manicure that lasts beautifully for more than just a few days.

Shellac can also be used to provide long lasting colour over enhancements, but a good professional polish will also do that job very adequately over enhanced nails.

If you want to be successful with Shellac, it is really paramount that you know how to apply polish to a professional standard; if you don't, then you will have to learn ... I hope you choose a manicure course that concentrates on polishing skill because every problem that some people encounter with Shellac is because they are not skilled at applying polish. Experienced nail technicians never have problems with Shellac (because they already are skilled at applying polish before they buy into it) . Simply relying only on a manicure class is probably not going to give you that skill.

Perhaps arrange first to do some 121 training with the CND Shellac Education Ambassador re polishing before taking the Shellac class.

As to furthering your nail skills ... Many have said exactly what you have said, "That is as far as I want to go with nail training." :biggrin: Just wait until you start turning business away because you can't extend or repair a client's broken nail/s when they ask you to! You might just change your mind on that one (as many others are doing). You will want to add Brisa Lite removable Smoothing gel to your range for those who need more than a power polish, and eventually Brisa Lite removable Sculpting gel for those who need enhancements ... It's a logical progression and if you are successful, you are going to want to go along that route. Whatever you think right now ... You just are not aware of the possibilities that await you. :hug:

Ring Sweet Squared on 08452106060 and enquire about the Shellac Kit, equipment and the location of your nearest genuine CND Shellac Education Ambassador. Good luck

I have to agree with Geeg 100% here. I did a one day mani/pedi course a year ago. And while it was quite good on the theory it taught me nothing about polishing. I have spent the best part of a year practising on anyone who will sit still long enough and on myself and I am finally starting to feel more competent with polishing. It wasn't a wasted year though as during that time I've saved up and I've now started my CND training!

I'll also be training in enhancements as like Geeg has said I realised quite quickly that even if I only want to do Natural Nails I still need to know how to repair or overlay for those clients that need it.

I really am enjoying my CND training, I feel like I'm getting the best possible start and also the support afterwards should I need it!

I would if you could save up for the CND nails naturally course, this 7 day course will teach you all you need to know and covers shellac.

Depending on how up to date your local college is you may get taught out of date practices such as soaking during manicure and clipping the 'cuticle' when in fact what they are teaching you is to clip the eponychium and is very wrong, sadly many colleges haven't kept up to date with industry advancements, I've also heard of colleges teaching shellac and giving incorrect information such as 'any 36w lamp will do'.

If it is shellac that you want then save up and do it right, from the start.

thank you all very much.

i'll contact sweet squared on monday and go from there.

I would if you could save up for the CND nails naturally course, this 7 day course will teach you all you need to know and covers shellac.

Depending on how up to date your local college is you may get taught out of date practices such as soaking during manicure and clipping the 'cuticle' when in fact what they are teaching you is to clip the eponychium and is very wrong, sadly many colleges haven't kept up to date with industry advancements, I've also heard of colleges teaching shellac and giving incorrect information such as 'any 36w lamp will do'.

If it is shellac that you want then save up and do it right, from the start.

What's wrong with soaking during manicures?? I soak after massaging cuticles makes client feel pampered? Is this bad???

What's wrong with soaking during manicures?? I soak after massaging cuticles makes client feel pampered? Is this bad???

If you are doing shellac you should not soak before doing it, do your pep, then shellac, once finished if clients want then do your soak, hand massage etc.

The problems associated with soaking nails before applying Shellac (or anything in actual fact) is that the nail plate soaks up moisture like a sponge .. Swells in size and changes shape, and also becomes softened.

As it dries out the nail goes back into its original shape and form, and can loosen the coating you have applied on top of it when it was swollen; chipping and lifting will then tend to occur. Not what anyone wants to happen after a client has paid for a manicure.

If you are doing shellac you should not soak before doing it, do your pep, then shellac, once finished if clients want then do your soak, hand massage etc.

Ah I mis understood, I don't soak before applying shellac, although I still do the traditional method with regular polish (not that anyone really ever has it to be honest!)

The problems associated with soaking nails before applying Shellac (or anything in actual fact) is that the nail plate soaks up moisture like a sponge .. Swells in size and changes shape, and also becomes softened.

As it dries out the nail goes back into its original shape and form, and can loosen the coating you have applied on top of it when it was swollen; chipping and lifting will then tend to occur. Not what anyone wants to happen after a client has paid for a manicure.

Thank you, I realise this was a shellac question- will continue with routine for regular manicure haven't had problems so far, most have power polish/gel polish so don't do many soaks in anycase!

Ah I mis understood, I don't soak before applying shellac, although I still do the traditional method with regular polish (not that anyone really ever has it to be honest!)
Even with regular polish I no longer soak during a manicure due to the reasons that Geeg has stated above.

Even with regular polish I no longer soak during a manicure due to the reasons that Geeg has stated above.

Hmmm what a dilemma will challenge my trainer later on this!

Latest posts

Back