I wasn't trained to use any extras in spray tanning, should I retrain?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talc tip: fab idea, thanks for sharing. This is great in the summer I bet. Just a thought, would this also work under the breasts if it's a really hot day?!

Absolutely yes, we do this often in the hotter countries. Under the breasts, on the "smiley" bit under your bum, waistline in fact any areas that sweat in the heat. For the summers here it is great, especially when the weather is muggy and you perspire just standing there. LOL I use the talc free powder as the talc can go a bit clumpy if there is a lot of perspiration and it is a little more " special" I just got the Johnsons talc free, it is lightly fragranced as well but you can do your own if you like. Get a talc free powder and put it in a tub with a few drops of Aroma Therapy oil of your choice, give it a good shake every few hours.leave for 24 hours and put it back into the botte. Voila!!! Fragranced aromatherapy powder. If you cant find talc free powder here is a little secret... use Cornflour. Yes the one from your kitchen cupboard. That is all it is really Cornstarch with a bit of fragrance added.

I find it goes on a lot easier if you just shake the bottle well, twist the lid open and squeeze the bottle sharply so a fine misting of powder comes out. Just shake it every now and then ( with lid closed) then open lid and squeeze again and the powder goes exactly where it is needed. I found I wasted a lot putting it in to the palm of my hand and spraying air over it. A lot goes in to the air and I always worry about asthsma sufferers for instance.

Hope this makes sense and helps

I'm new to tanning and have started charging already, think I'm doing OK but there is always room to improve!

I haven't heard of the talc tip before, could you explain it to me in layman's terms? What do you mean by Pipe it? Good idea with stopping the sweating though, and it doesn't affect the tan? Could it be used on the bust?

I always offer a paper thong, never had anyone use it yet as I always sayt wear tight black or dark coloured underwear anyway.

I always use vaseline on lips and solar oil on nails, especially if they have Shellac or Gel polishes on, I don't want to be responsible for discolouration!

I don't use hairnets though? And probably should have some for those clients with lighter hair, could you recommend a supplier?

I'm fortunate to be in an area where the prices for tans are good and mine is competitive but I still want mine to stand out rather than going out of my area for the cheaper tan! Its the extras that make it.

Hi love, "pipe it" just means that you remove your gun from the air hose and then blow air over the talc in your hand. You can leave the gun on the pipe and just blow air ( dont pull the trigger) but the air from the hose is a little less concentrated so sends the powder off as more of a mist of powder rather than blasting it off your hand and wasting it.

I am still confused but will have a look. I didnt realise you could just use your gun for air, I thought it would have just been from the hose?? I was confused thinking the power of the ar being blown out of the hose would fly it everywhere!

Hi all im glad for the talc tip as i came across this problem last week on a sticky day - however the client was perspiring so much that the tan just wouldn't go over. She pre- wiped before i started with pre tan wipes then i blotted with couch roll but by the time i came to spray under arms they were still white so i blotted with couch roll again and sprayed and it covered this time but when i was drying it after you could see the tan was running with the perspiation - weird. i really didnt know how to deal with it i said 'i can't keep spraying over the area again - and she said it doesn't matter no one will see under there.She was more worried it would run down the other areas. has anyone else come across this??

Do u spray the talc before or after spraying? I always thought after but just read a comment above and made me think the talc was 'applied' before spraying? Thanks

I am still confused but will have a look. I didnt realise you could just use your gun for air, I thought it would have just been from the hose?? I was confused thinking the power of the ar being blown out of the hose would fly it everywhere!

It does blow everywhere if you have it too close, that's why I just shake the bottle and squeeze

I'm with you! Finally, sorry, my brain took an absolute age to engage then!

Very new to tanning and reading as much as I possibly can. Feel like I need some more training tbh!

Do u spray the talc before or after spraying? I always thought after but just read a comment above and made me think the talc was 'applied' before spraying? Thanks

After spraying, it really just mops up the excess moisture,( that is why I use the cornstarch powder, talc can go horrible if it gets too wet) have a try next time you are perspiring just squirt a little talc over the moist area give it a quick brush with a make up brush or a bit of air from your hose on the machine, to remove excess and you will feel all dry and fresh. We also use talc to dry off the ink in sray tan tattoos.

Great post I-Tan, reiterating what a lot of us have said about that added extra.

I use all the extras and charge for it. Once I feel confident enough (I dont at the minute :( ) I will advertise like mad!

Can you geeks tell me one quick thing: If a client has used deodrant late the night before or the same day and not washed it off is it safe to use baby wipes to remove any residue from the skin or does this also affect the tan?

Latest posts

Back