I wasn't trained to use any extras in spray tanning, should I retrain?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlawlessBeauty

Reaction score
When i learned to spray tan, we weren't taught to use barrier cream, hair net, sticky feet, etc. We just tied up hair, had the tan in knickers, stood on a towel and wore loose clothes afterwards and the tan looked fine. This was with Couture about 5 years ago.

A previous salon i worked in used St Tropez but again didn't use any of these extra's.

I have recently switched to Sienna X and have only done a few tans which seemed fine, but i'm feeling a bit unsure after reading more about tanning. For example, i would assume barrier cream would be used on palms of hands, but it is also used on knees, which baffles me, lol.

Now that i am using this tan, do you think these are things that i should realy be using and if so, do you think i should do a training course with them?

I use hat on blonde/light hair, disposable thong is always offered (and always declined) I don't use sticky feet just a towel in the bottom of the tent, barrier cream for elbows, knees, backs of feet, palms and nails if not painted.

Umm I think that's it.

There is no need to retrain. I use caps to protect hair (more so for blonde and bleached hair, but I give one to every client), I use sticky feet and also place a towel in the tent also.
Barrier cream is thickly applied to palms to create a barrier and thinly to knees, elbows, and heels to limit the amount of tan absorbed.
I always offer disposable thongs and usually 50% of the time are accepted.
xx

Sometimes I think it's the little extras that make you stand out from the rest. In the end it whatever you want to do. I use sienna x I always use barrier, I always have pants but have only ever used one pair. I use caps occasionally but always do if they have highlight etc xx

Flawless I wasnt taught to use anything either. Just tips I picked up along the way xx

Sometimes I think it's the little extras that make you stand out from the rest. In the end it whatever you want to do. I use sienna x I always use barrier, I always have pants but have only ever used one pair. I use caps occasionally but always do if they have highlight etc xx

Sooo agree cabby!

A lot of my clients comment on the added extra's like hair nets / creams / sticky feet etc... xx

Also I use sienna x and I give away a few samples aswell. 1 of each of them - clients always appreciate this.

Thanks ladies, i feel much better.

I think i'll pick up some barrier cream...if they have one, you probably need it, lol. I already have the disposable thongs and have used a cap on the rare occassion but i think i'll be more vigilant now.

Do you all feel the need to wipe the nails afterwards or before with barrier cream? I don't unless they have false nails and have never seen any clinging, but maybe that is my technique...claw-like hands? Haha xx

Thanks ladies, i feel much better.

I think i'll pick up some barrier cream...if they have one, you probably need it, lol. I already have the disposable thongs and have used a cap on the rare occassion but i think i'll be more vigilant now.

Do you all feel the need to wipe the nails afterwards or before with barrier cream? I don't unless they have false nails and have never seen any clinging, but maybe that is my technique...claw-like hands? Haha xx
Instead of buying the sienna x barrier cream, a tub of aqueous cream works just fine :) you can pick it up from tesco/pharmacy etc x

Instead of buying the sienna x barrier cream, a tub of aqueous cream works just fine :) you can pick it up from tesco/pharmacy etc x

Thanks, good to know...i need to go to tesco, i have a craving for strawberries dipped in chocolate haha!

I dont use barrier creams, i request the use of the thong thing, (half time refused) clean towel on floor after each client, no stickies, hair cap for high lites, insist on use of my recommended after tan moisturizer, not always bought but at least 50% does.

Hi I am a sales consultant and trainer I always train my students to use barrier cream this gives the tan a better finish on the dry areas, I always say to use sticky feet as it doesnt look professional if the client has tan on the bottom of there feet! I also give my students another little tip and that is to put a small amount of talc in the palm of your hand at the end of the tan and then use you pipe to blow the talc under your clients arms this stops sweating and locks in the tan!

You don't need to re train just make sure you use a barrier cream on all dry areas, use a hair cap and sticky feet!

Thanks

Leela

Thanks for all your replies. I feel like i'm doing pretty good haha...I was worrying i was a bit behind the times, but now i know.

Leela, i appreciate the advice and not the hard sell to train with you like some trainers do xx

Hi,

Your welcome honey if you want any other advice please do not hesitate to contact me feel free to in box me ask away. xxx

Hi I am a sales consultant and trainer I always train my students to use barrier cream this gives the tan a better finish on the dry areas, I always say to use sticky feet as it doesnt look professional if the client has tan on the bottom of there feet! I also give my students another little tip and that is to put a small amount of talc in the palm of your hand at the end of the tan and then use you pipe to blow the talc under your clients arms this stops sweating and locks in the tan!

You don't need to re train just make sure you use a barrier cream on all dry areas, use a hair cap and sticky feet!

Thanks

Leela

Hi Leela,

Just want to say that the talc tip is excellent, I'm going to try it out on my next client.

I use sticky feet, hair nets etc as I feel that these little extras give better result and also a more professional service.

Suzy :)

Thanks

Leela

Talc tip: fab idea, thanks for sharing. This is great in the summer I bet. Just a thought, would this also work under the breasts if it's a really hot day?!

Hi there

Dont worry you are not behind the times. I work mobile. I never use sticky feet I always use a square of kitchen roll in the bottom of the tent. I never carry shower caps or any other disposables. I have never ever been asked by anyone to supply paper thongs.

My ritual with barrier cream (which is actually a tub of Bayling and Hardiss moisturiser, which smells lovely and clients always comment on) I get them to put the cream on their hands - like a soap, in between fingers, down your thumbs and round your wrists. then i squirt another bit of moisturiser and ask them to put it on the tops of their feet, round the backs of their ankles and then finally on the soles of their feet - this is to help them stick to the kitchen roll. Only if they have said they have particualry dry patches ie elbows and knees, would I allow them to put cream there. Oh and I never touch the client with the cream, they do this all by themselves. I use nouvatan and have found that this never stains the nail plates. Howeve I also use LA tan and found that this does, so if i was using the LA tan I would put a bit of solar oil or a quick coat of air dry top coat on their nails.

Hope that helps.

I use barrier cream on elbows, knees, in between fingers and any dry bits. I use Sienna x tan remover wipes and ask clients to rub the palms of their hands against one and also go over their nails if not painted.
My trainer said to put a tiny bit of barrier cream on the little sticky out bone on the outside of the wrist cos it gives a better look apparently!

I'm new to tanning and have started charging already, think I'm doing OK but there is always room to improve!

I haven't heard of the talc tip before, could you explain it to me in layman's terms? What do you mean by Pipe it? Good idea with stopping the sweating though, and it doesn't affect the tan? Could it be used on the bust?

I always offer a paper thong, never had anyone use it yet as I always sayt wear tight black or dark coloured underwear anyway.

I always use vaseline on lips and solar oil on nails, especially if they have Shellac or Gel polishes on, I don't want to be responsible for discolouration!

I don't use hairnets though? And probably should have some for those clients with lighter hair, could you recommend a supplier?

I'm fortunate to be in an area where the prices for tans are good and mine is competitive but I still want mine to stand out rather than going out of my area for the cheaper tan! Its the extras that make it.

Also I use sienna x and I give away a few samples aswell. 1 of each of them - clients always appreciate this.

What samples do you give away & do you add on to your price so you're not out of pocket? x

Latest posts

Back