IBD gel from eBay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise88

Reaction score
Hi ladies. I normally use cnd sculpting gel but wanted to dry something abit cheaper as clients really don't want to pay £30 a set of nails so my friend who's also cnd trained told me she uses IBD hard gel and finds it just as good and she says she can change more like £20-25 and she is always megga busy. So this week I got some IBD gel from eBay just to try out. I did a clients nails and told her I was trying a different gel and that it would be £20 for her nails. Wile putting the gel on I found the IBD gel easy to use and it was so shiny after I was so impressed with it untill my client rang me 2 days later telling me all her nails had lifted the next day and came off 2 days later. I now have to spend 2 hours putting them back on with the cnd gel. Now I don't know what to do as I've bought this big tube of IBD gel and I've annoyed one of my clients. Very much feeling this week like giving nails up completely as its constantly paying out so much in product I'm hardly making anything. This year alone I've paid thousands in products and training and once I've working out how many hours I've worked divided into my profits I've been making just £4.63 per hour and I'd get more working in a supermarket :(

Seriously??
You should know not to buy gels from eBay and use it on a client!

or is this a wind up?

plus I didn't know ibd came in tubes, thought it was pots loool

Hi ladies. I normally use cnd sculpting gel but wanted to dry something abit cheaper as clients really don't want to pay £30 a set of nails so my friend who's also cnd trained told me she uses IBD hard gel and finds it just as good and she says she can change more like £20-25 and she is always megga busy. So this week I got some IBD gel from eBay just to try out. I did a clients nails and told her I was trying a different gel and that it would be £20 for her nails. Wile putting the gel on I found the IBD gel easy to use and it was so shiny after I was so impressed with it untill my client rang me 2 days later telling me all her nails had lifted the next day and came off 2 days later. I now have to spend 2 hours putting them back on with the cnd gel. Now I don't know what to do as I've bought this big tube of IBD gel and I've annoyed one of my clients. Very much feeling this week like giving nails up completely as its constantly paying out so much in product I'm hardly making anything. This year alone I've paid thousands in products and training and once I've working out how many hours I've worked divided into my profits I've been making just £4.63 per hour and I'd get more working in a supermarket :(

Hi there,

So a couple of things. Firstly never ever buy products off eBay to use on clients. You don't know if it is the real deal or a copy. You also don't know how long the seller has had it for etc.
Always buy your products from the correct supplier, that way you have the knowledge that it is the real safe product, you will know what to expect performance wise and if you run into problems you have support.

Secondly you should be earning more profit per hour.
How did you come up with your service price? Did you breakdown the costs?
I'm self employed mobile and before I set my prices I decided what I wanted to earn per hour. I then added to my hourly rate (profit)all my costs from petrol and insurance down to the tiniest bit of cotton wool, factoring in tax and NIC and a small amount per treatment to go towards extra training so I can add services.

It was time consuming BUT ensures that I am always making a profit.

I can understand you feeling down about this but use it as a learning experience.

Throw away that ibd eBay gel and perhaps persevere with the stock you have.

Research into other professional brands that will give you more profit margin in the meantime and when you run out of your current stock change over.

Perhaps use this opportunity to re look at your business plan and prices and perhaps a price increase is due?

Ibd is a great brand with many geeks using with no problems so I am guessing that the problem is where you sourced it from.

Hope this helps

Hi there,

So a couple of things. Firstly never ever buy products off eBay to use on clients. You don't know if it is the real deal or a copy. You also don't know how long the seller has had it for etc.
Always buy your products from the correct supplier, that way you have the knowledge that it is the real safe product, you will know what to expect performance wise and if you run into problems you have support.

Secondly you should be earning more profit per hour.
How did you come up with your service price? Did you breakdown the costs?
I'm self employed mobile and before I set my prices I decided what I wanted to earn per hour. I then added to my hourly rate (profit)all my costs from petrol and insurance down to the tiniest bit of cotton wool, factoring in tax and NIC and a small amount per treatment to go towards extra training so I can add services.

It was time consuming BUT ensures that I am always making a profit.

I can understand you feeling down about this but use it as a learning experience.

Throw away that ibd eBay gel and perhaps persevere with the stock you have.

Research into other professional brands that will give you more profit margin in the meantime and when you run out of your current stock change over.

Perhaps use this opportunity to re look at your business plan and prices and perhaps a price increase is due?

Ibd is a great brand with many geeks using with no problems so I am guessing that the problem is where you sourced it from.

Hope this helps

Good advice

I'm with Claire on this one re buying things from eBay.

CND and Harmony are Leaders in their field and I don't think you'll find better products for much less.
However I can understand why you want to try different, cheaper products and from what I understand IBD as a brand are really good ...BUT please don't let buying from Ebay doubt your skill or the product. Each system requires you to do a conversion course for a reason and buying products from eBay is not a true representation of any brand.

There is a fab and recent thread on here about how to increase your clientele and business, with excellent suggestions. CND as a brand will sell itself and all you need to do is get your work recognised and promote yourself and your skills. Please don't give up :)

Calire it is not a joke. We all have to learn somewhere and I DID NOT KNOW never to buy from eBay as I've never been told that before.
Once I found out the gel was no good I messages the seller and told them and they told me it was 100% genuine and told me to return the product so I asked them for an address and they have sent no reply. So now I have learnt my lesson to stay away from products on eBay,
But now I am unsure on where to get a good gel from that doesn't cost so much, I know cnd are worth their money but clients just don't want to pay that much which means Im lucky to be getting a set of gel nails a week.
I've been self employed since January and once I've added up all my costs of training and products and then I added up how many hours I have worked I made not even minimum page this year and now I'm ready to call it a day and sell all my kit and look for a job again

Calire it is not a joke. We all have to learn somewhere and I DID NOT KNOW never to buy from eBay as I've never been told that before.
Once I found out the gel was no good I messages the seller and told them and they told me it was 100% genuine and told me to return the product so I asked them for an address and they have sent no reply. So now I have learnt my lesson to stay away from products on eBay,
But now I am unsure on where to get a good gel from that doesn't cost so much, I know cnd are worth their money but clients just don't want to pay that much which means Im lucky to be getting a set of gel nails a week.
I've been self employed since January and once I've added up all my costs of training and products and then I added up how many hours I have worked I made not even minimum page this year and now I'm ready to call it a day and sell all my kit and look for a job again

How about finding your local ibd distributor? this way you know 100% you have a genuine product PLUS product support

To be honest I wasn't sure as I've read a couple of threads where the poster of a thread was winding people up. But good advice has been given in any case.

Last edited:
Hi, I am only just starting to use ibd hard gel in my level 3 college course (no problems as of yet) , but I have used other ibd products before and never had a problem they are a reputable brand and you should buy from a reputable source.

Grafton international are the UK distributor for ibd , give them a call they are very helpful and they will give you support after purchasing (as will any good supplier - eg sweet squared, harmony etc) good customer support is essential in this business and it's important that as professional techs we support legitimate suppliers in order for our industry to grow hth xx

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

Salons direct also stock ibd as do beauty express. Salons direct have a discount this weekend, and beauty express quite often do 20%off. Salons direct have their ibd at a very reasonable price :D

Good advice, really helpfull and not putting anybody down. We need more geeks like you!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

We all make mistakes and I'm sure everyone has who runs a business, i know i have made many, at least now you know not to buy from ebay, unfortunately it can be a costly mistake. :sad:

I have recently been trying ibd just gel and I like it, it's very reasonably priced when sourced form the correct suppliers, why not try and find out if they do a conversion course, and maybe have your nails done by someone who uses the ibd to see how you find it on your nails? Or if you are happy with CND products try adding more value to the service without cutting costs perhaps, I don't do nail extensions but I wonder if you could do a small add on treatment as an offer? :D

I agree with everything that's been said

But I just want to add, when starting up a new business you won't see any profit, unless amazingly lucky and get loads of clients from the offset, on average it will take a good 2 years to get a good client base and start making a profit.

I know I took advise on how to do it and new won't be till around this time next year that I will be making a profit if all goes well, so I made sure I had a little part time job to cover the bills.

Maybe do that till your business is up and running well these things take time and word of mouth is one of our best adverts, so stay win good products and good work, it will come with time.

I've been on the salon direct and think they seem good so ill buy a kit from them and see how I get on with it. Think I will try it on my friends first see what they think rather then using a new product on a client and risk loosing them. That's all great advise I have been doing this 9month and its been good one minute and then quiet the next. I've found shellac I never have a problem getting clients for but gel extensions doesn't seem to have much business. My husband and friends told me to report the seller on eBay for selling a dodgy product, I've noticed the gel I bought on eBay is not even half the price on the one on salon direct so if I'd have noticed that I would have know something was wrong with the product. Thanks for all the great advise I will put it all into practice

I've been on the salon direct and think they seem good so ill buy a kit from them and see how I get on with it. Think I will try it on my friends first see what they think rather then using a new product on a client and risk loosing them. That's all great advise I have been doing this 9month and its been good one minute and then quiet the next. I've found shellac I never have a problem getting clients for but gel extensions doesn't seem to have much business. My husband and friends told me to report the seller on eBay for selling a dodgy product, I've noticed the gel I bought on eBay is not even half the price on the one on salon direct so if I'd have noticed that I would have know something was wrong with the product. Thanks for all the great advise I will put it all into practice

I don't get asked at all for extensions now so im glad I haven't trained in them, it's all gel polish or shellac.

Good luck though :biggrin:

Last edited:
My husband and friends told me to report the seller on eBay for selling a dodgy product

I would definitely do this, you open a dispute case, the retailer has 8 days to come to an outcome you are happy with, if after that you do not get your money back then you can escalate it to eBay for them to make a decision.

It's a pain but I got my money back on a fake watch, the process does work, just don't let the retailer wear you down and make you give up.

Sent from my ME371MG using SalonGeek mobile app

My husband and friends told me to report the seller on eBay for selling a dodgy product

I would definitely do this, you open a dispute case, the retailer has 8 days to come to an outcome you are happy with, if after that you do not get your money back then you can escalate it to eBay for them to make a decision.

It's a pain but I got my money back on a fake watch, the process does work, just don't let the retailer wear you down and make you give up.

Sent from my ME371MG using SalonGeek mobile app

Yes it does work i had some nail art that would not come i paid for it from the 12th of August and it was due the 12th of Sep. It never came till last week after i put a Ebay case on it. Be firm if you have to do not tolerate waffle! and believe you will get an awful lot of excuses messaged to you from the seller! But be firm not rude! good luck:biggrin:

Try crystal nails there gels are fabulous there cover pinks are beautiful ! the titanium gel you can feel the strength through the weight of the gel its heavy to pick up but molds well allowing a fantastic apex to form. Crystal nails are expensive but worth the price they really are top quality plus there training. However the titanium are hard gels but are stronger for extensions then soak off gels . Well thats what i feel works for me .which i think that is what IBD mainly do soak off although i am not sure so forgive me if i am wrong

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back