IBD gel lamp

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmajt

Shopaholic Geek
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me that uses iBD wether it's worth investing in the IBD gel lamp to cure the gel??

I currently use IBD gel and after talking to Graftons, we've come to the conclusion the problems i'm having (ie lifting/peeling) could be due to the fact that the current lamp i use is 6w and not curing the gel properly???

I've tried curing for longer, but this is getting to be a bit of a pain for the clients having to sit with their hand in the lamp for 6 mins (seems forever).

Now the lamp i've been advised to get is the IBD 1000 as it's suitable for mobile use, but it retails at £125 +VAT.

I don't mind spending that amount of money if it' going to be money well invested, but i was just wondering if anyone knew of any alternative lamps that have the same sort of spec that might be a bit cheaper, or if the IBD lamp is actually value for money.

Hi Emma,

I used to use IBD and bought one of their UV lamps from Pompedour (I used to live in Derby!) and it worked fantastically with IBD gels, they are pricey but I'd say after alot of gel trial and error that buying the lamp that is specifically designed for the gel you use is the right choice! The larger lamp they do for two hands is wonderful but verrrry pricey! J xx

You should be aware that if you use a lamp that is not made for the system you are using, you risk under curing of the gel which can lead to allergic reaction for your clients ... never mind all the other probeklms you are experiencing!!!

YOur insurance would not cover you in the event that someone made a claim against you if you are using a lamp not reccommended by the company whos gel you use.

Purchase the lamp that goes with your system. 'Cheap' can be very 'dear'.

Thanks guys,

Just got back from lunch and read your posts - i have in fact just bought one while i was out.

Thought i'd bite the bullet as such.

Geeg I didn't realise that insurance wise etc..., thanks for pointing it out to me. Sometimes i wonder why they don't tell you things like this at college when i trained, as i used IBD then. The lecturer never mentioned at all about having the correct lamp for IBD and she certainly never mentioned anything about it affecting my insurance!!!

Thanks again

Em.xx

The fact is than when it comes to generic lines you CAN probably use the same lamp with many of them. But when you start going up market to branded lines and products get more sophisticated, then you have to be careful to use the whole system ... much safer all around.

Most college teachers do not teach you things like this because in all reality they often don't know. Many do ... but more than many do not. Sad but true.

We all know insurance companies. If someone brought a suit against Creative and it was prooven that they weren't using the whole system as directed .... no insurance will be paid out against a claim. Perfect example is .... you get asthma from working with nails. Creative reccommend EXTRACTION ventillation ... if you don't have it then no compensation. Its good to follow company recommendations as they are there for a reason .. usually your safety.

Glad you got the right lamp anyway. Now if you have problems at least you will know what isn't causing it! eh? :cool:

Yeah somtimes i wonder if i missed loads at college (brain not being awake or something??).

I seem to find out more from this site than what i was taught at college, it's never ending isn't it. You think you know as much as you can, then someone posts something and it starts all over again.

Can't wait to get home and use the lamp,let you know how i get on (fingers crossed ok)

Thanks again

Em.xx

i am now using the IBD 5000 (the lamp which fit both hands at the same time). It is great with the entire IBD system, i used to have the generic 4x 9watt tunnel lamps but clients felt very hot when the gel cures and also have to cure a bit longer then needed) with the IBD lamp you can be sure that the curing time which the manufacturer suggested is exactly how long you need! definitely worth the investment if you plan on staying with the system. Here in Hong Kong it sells for approximately US$ 350.

glad this was brought up. i use ibd, and we were told by our course tutor, that it really didn't matter what lamp you use!

I've been using a daylight uv lamp, she said it was fine for it! Hope not done too much damage to clients due to maybe, not entirely curing under-neath or something!

luckybird21 said:
glad this was brought up. i use ibd, and we were told by our course tutor, that it really didn't matter what lamp you use!

I've been using a daylight uv lamp, she said it was fine for it! Hope not done too much damage to clients due to maybe, not entirely curing under-neath or something!

As I say, most course tutors do not represent the company for whom they teach and most likely wouldn't know. YOu could definitely be undercuring and you will not know until something happens. It is not something you can see with the naked eye always.

My advice. Buy the proper tools for the job you are doing and be safe.

i know what i'll be buying tomorow! he he!

surly in order to teach they should know all this!?

She actually uses ibd, so she should know her self she's been doing nails long enough! That just sucks, basically, me, and others on my course have waisted £60 odd on a now kinda useless lamp. i knew i should have stuck to my instints and got the ibd one, but she said not to bother!

Glad she left the course half way through, and we got a new tutor. my god with advice like her's none of us would have passed!

luckybird21 said:
i know what i'll be buying tomorow! he he!

surly in order to teach they should know all this!?

She actually uses ibd, so she should know her self she's been doing nails long enough! That just sucks, basically, me, and others on my course have waisted £60 odd on a now kinda useless lamp. i knew i should have stuck to my instints and got the ibd one, but she said not to bother!

Glad she left the course half way through, and we got a new tutor. my god with advice like her's none of us would have passed!
Yeah my thoughts exactly!!!

Did clear gel overlay on my natural nails last night, using the IBD lamp i bought yesterday (Jet 1000) and it was great only having to put them if for the recomended time and not double it.

Plus it came with a free timer, a bottle of cleanser plus, ultraseal and UV top coat.

Fingers crossed only 2 have slight lifting on the free edge (compared to last time 8 had lifting withing abut 3 hours).

Now i don't know if it's got anything to do with the lamp or the fact that i received my order of Scrubfrsh from Designer nails yesterday and used that before applying bonder, but something seems to be working??

I presume it's ok to use Scrubfresh with IBD and any other brand for that matter??? Please say yes!!!

Em.xx

Why don't yo utry an LED lamp on Ebay?

Any lamp will cure your gels. Just try different times. UV is UV and LED is LED. The make of the lamp is not necessary. Try LED that is fantastic

ALL UV lamps cure ALL gels. Just buy gels suitable for LED lamps which are the best and now cheaper on Ebay and probably other sites

I was wondering if anyone knows of any universal LED light that would work with most of the gel based polish? It's kind of hard to stay with one line with all the different colors they all offer. Of course you would not purchase an LED light specifically for each line you use. How would you know if a particular LED light that I would purchase would work for all lines? I only want to make one purchase and not be limited to one line. I am currently using Shellac and Gelish. I have seen in earlier posts that LED would not cure
Shellac. Other than the "Harmony" LED light, does anyone know of any other I could buy?

Wheres this thread come back from isnt it from 2004?! :eek: Ive never even heard of LED lights for UV gel am i missing something? All UV lamps dont cure all gels its not about how long you leave them in for. You should always get the lamp that is designed for the brand you are using, All good quality brands will have a specific lamp for their products as they design them to work together to get the best results.
If i were you id stick with your Shellac theres nothing that can compare to it, but you must use it with the new CND lamp or old Brisa lamp, nothing else. Theyre bringing new colours out soon i think so there'll be alot of choice for your clients if thats what worries you?
As for LED sorry ive no idea, but definately dont get anything from Ebay its just asking for trouble! x

The Jessica Geleration lamp will soon be sold outside their headquqarters for less, just wait until probably, mid February 2011, much cheaper. They cure all LED gels like CND Shellac, LeChat Nobility, Harmony Gelish, etc. I will let you know

YOu could definitely be undercuring and you will not know until something happens. It is not something you can see with the naked eye always.

My advice. Buy the proper tools for the job you are doing and be safe.

ok then, my question is what it can result in? the undercuring thing? x

and one more question, my boss bought one bio sculpture lamp and we have one other 'no name' 36watt but my boss thought she'll stick the bio original bulbs in both of them so what happens then? they fit but it starts to freak me out now I started to think of diffrences of them? Can this cause gel to lift?

Latest posts

Back