IBD gel lifting after 1-2 days

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thearobertsxo

Reaction score
I use IBD just gel polish, I do all the nail prep remove all the cuticle, clean the nail bed, use a dehydrator and always cap the free edge! I use thin layers and cure for the said amount of time in my OPI LED lamp for 30-45 seconds! My gels always life a day or 2 after, they never ever seem to last more than 3 days! Why is this and how can I stop this! Really need some help and I’m trying to start my own buisness and can’t be charging people to do their nails if they don’t even last a week!
PLEASE HELP!!!

Also I used to use the IBD gel power bond but the same thing happened with that, I’ve tried the power bond and dehydrator together and it’s still lifting after a few days

Thearobertsxo- Gel polish shouldn't be lifting, where abouts are you getting this lifting? Is it all the nails?

Thearobertsxo- Gel polish shouldn't be lifting, where abouts are you getting this lifting? Is it all the nails?

It always seems to be around the edges, and it doesn’t chip or anything it literally peels off in one go, it’s mostly all the nails but not all at once if that makes any sense. So one day one will peel of the next day maybe 2 more will peel off, it’s gradual. I 100% cap the free edge all the time and clean all the cuticle off the nail bed, I don’t know what els I can do

Iv'e only tried IBD a few times (brought a couple of bottles) but I found one of the colours to be quick thick. Could it be when your applying it, it's a little thicker at the sides of the nail? Which could cause your lifting there. Maybe try and pay extra attention to see if it tends to gather there before you cure it. Just to make sure you have a even layer all over...and make sure you don't go to heavy on the top coat down the sides too and see if that helps ....

IBD isn't a good brand.

IBD is an old and respected brand. It is one of the brands owned by American International Industries who also own EZ Flow. http://www.aiibeauty.com/brands.php

Companies like this, don't produce products that don't work. However, as with any nail product it is important to understand their application method and receive training.

The problem can be the nail prep, how you apply the gel polish, or that the OPI lamp is not compatible with the IBD gel polish. When chemists develop products, they don't test them with other brands UV lamps. And there is a huge difference between different UV lamps. Using another brands UV lamp is asking for problems, not least due to under curing and the potential to develop an allergy.

Can't you ask for help from the nail school who trained you?

Agree with Bob... The product works, I don't use it any more as I don't really like the consistency of it. But when I have used it worked well and lasted. But like anything you need to be trained and your prep, application need to be spot on.

I Prep the nail well, and I am of course trained! I’ve been trained by IBD and by OPI, I have certificates to say I’m trained! When I prep the nail I apply cuticle remover, gently push them back, and gently scrape all the remaining cuticle off the nail, sometimes I trim the cuticle if needed, and I always always use he thinnest coats every time, I can even explain how thin the coats are

I Prep the nail well, and I am of course trained! I’ve been trained by IBD and by OPI, I have certificates to say I’m trained! When I prep the nail I apply cuticle remover, gently push them back, and gently scrape all the remaining cuticle off the nail, sometimes I trim the cuticle if needed, and I always always use he thinnest coats every time, I can even explain how thin the coats are

Are you making sure to throughly remove/deactivate the cuticle remover? As this can cause lifting if any residue is left on the nail before gel application.
Also making sure not to touch the skin with the gel as this will also cause the gel to lift x

Are you making sure to throughly remove/deactivate the cuticle remover? As this can cause lifting if any residue is left on the nail before gel application.
Also making sure not to touch the skin with the gel as this will also cause the gel to lift x
Yes I use acetone to remove all the cuticle remover then put the dehydrator on, let that dry then paint, I don’t ever touch gel with the skin as I know that causes lifting

Have you tried not using the cuticle remover, dehydrator and acetone?
Acetone is very drying for the nails and a nail cleanser might be less harsh .. prep apply base, x2 colour and top coat... it's hard to work out what's going wrong for you without seeing how you work, so we can only offer ideas and tips for help

Have you tried not using the cuticle remover, dehydrator and acetone?
Acetone is very drying for the nails and a nail cleanser might be less harsh .. prep apply base, x2 colour and top coat... it's hard to work out what's going wrong for you without seeing how you work, so we can only offer ideas and tips for help
I will try to not to use the acetone see how that works and i will try a nail cleanser, and how can I remove the cuticle without the cuticle remover ?

I'm assuming you've been using cuticle remover every time you've done your nails.. so I doubt very much if there is a lot of cuticle to remove? You can take your cuticle pusher to push back the cuticles gently and see if there is any one the nail... if there is gently use the pusher to remove any, making sure not the damage to nail plate. I very rarely using cuticle remover unless it's a new client or there is a large build up.

I use ibd I’ve never had this problem. It’s sounds like your doing everything right, is it any polishes specifically or all of them and is the lifting just on yourself or everyone? There is an ibd Facebook group which has the old educators on there. They are very helpful, in on it have a look as you can ask advice from the trainers. It is a good brand by the way. I normally get 3 weeks wear, no lifting, no chipping

Not the old, ibd educators*

I use ibd I’ve never had this problem. It’s sounds like your doing everything right, is it any polishes specifically or all of them and is the lifting just on yourself or everyone? There is an ibd Facebook group which has the old educators on there. They are very helpful, in on it have a look as you can ask advice from the trainers. It is a good brand by the way. I normally get 3 weeks wear, no lifting, no chipping
It lifts on me and my family, I practice on family most of the time, and it’s not just one colour it’s all of them

A nail tech who can polish really good can make any gel polish look good. But that does not mean that the gel itself is good.

IBD has been in business for 40 years but you haven't seen a reformulation of any kind. That should have already a flag for quality. Also many low tier manufacturers(IBD) will use the cheapest ingredients, leading to host of many problems.

To answer your problem, you probably are not using their LED lamp, which may not even be engineered to work with their gels.

I do my family sometimes to, and my cuticle are bery low down and grow a lot so I always use the cuticle remover to ensure it’s all off the nail plate

Update: I use a 240 grit buffer, do you think I need a rougher grit like 180 to make the nail surface more rough for the gel to stick to?

I personally use 240 grit, I don’t think you should need more than that but some people use 180, just be careful your only taking the shine off and not nail plate. How many polishes do you have, where did you buy them from, did you get them all together? I can’t see any problems with the way you’ve described your prep and application, which leads me back to the product. Just wondered if you got it from a proper distributer for ibd? X

Latest posts

Back