IBD GelLak & CND Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GelanGEL

Reaction score
Today's my Vs. DAY hehe!

Is Gellac from Ibd the same as CND's Shellac? If not what it makes each one stands out from the other?

Thanx!

i would like to know also as i have just bought in gelac and wondered which is the best and also who preferes gellish and why?

Why not do a search and read the numerous threads re these products and form your own conclusions?

Plus in the articles and tutorials forum you will find everything you could ever want to know about Shellac written there.

Shellac is a very different formulation to the thin coloured gels and is a cross between polish and gel .. One benefit of that technology is that Shellac goes on thin, like polish and the result to me is much more beautiful and is not the bulky rather thicker result that the thin gels seem to give.

Another benefit to using Shellac is that unlike the coloured gels, the natural nails need no prior preparation with a file or buffer ... you simply need to clean the nail surface well with your sanitiser or Scrub Fresh.

Now some are claiming that they use the coloured gels without buffing the nail surface but I can tell you that they do have problems if they don't buff first (unless they are using the gels on nails that are already dry and etched because they have previously been wearing enhancements). With Shellac it is just clean and go .. no buffing or etching.

Shellac also removes in 7-10 minutes completely as it say on the instructions. Many claim 10 minute removal or less but the claims are simply not true, as you will see if you read the forums.

Both products last well for the clients but the look and wearability is different and I think Shellac is far superior to coloured gels (which in fact are nothing new to our industry and people have been using them in one form or another for years).

This is my opinion which you asked for .. I have now used several coloured gel systems, including the ones you mention, on my own natural nails and there is no comparison in my opinion to the stunning results I get with Shellac. I also find Shellac much stronger on my nails than any coloured gel I have tried ... it has made the wearing of enhancements obsolete for me ... the strength of Shellac is enough for my nails.

Last edited:
Why not do a search and read the numerous threads re these products and form ypour own conclusions.

Plus in the articles and tutorials forum you will find everything you could ever want to know about Shellac written there.

Shellac is a very different formulation to the thin coloured gels and is a cross between polish and gel .. One benefit of that technology is that Shellac goes on thin, like polish and the result to me is much more beautiful and is not the bulky rather thicker result that the thin gels seem to give.

Another benefit to using Shellac is that unlike the coloured gels, the natural nails need no prior preparation with a file or buffer ... you simply need to clean the nail surface well with your sanitiser or Scrub Fresh.
Now some are claiming that they use the coloured gels without buffing the nail surface but I can tell you that they do have problems if they don't buff first (unless they are using the gels on nails that are already dry and etched because they have previously been wearing enhancements). With Shellac it is just clean and go .. no buffing or etching.

Shellac also removes in 7-10 minutes completely as it say on the instructions. Many claim 10 minute removal or less but the claims are simply not ttrue as you will see if you read the forums.

Both products last well for the clients but the look and wearability is different and I think Shellac is far superior to coloured gels (which in fact are nothing new to our industry and people have been using them in one form or another for years).

This is my opinion which you asked for .. I have now used several coloured gel systems, including the ones you mention, on my own natural nails and there is no comparison in my opinion to the stunning results I get with Shellac. I also find shellac much stgronger on my nails than any coloured gel I have tried ... it has made the wearing of enhancements obsolete for me ... the strength of Shellac is enough for my nails.

HI, thanks for your sincere reply and opinion.
I found info about shellac, but I did not about gellac. I will take a look later :)

One more thing, if it is fine with you: Are you saying that gellac is one of those colored gels which gives you bulky results? I want to know as I found that the price of gellac is half of Shellac and I am trying to find out why :green:

Thanks Geeg :hug:

HI, thanks for your sincere reply and opinion.
I found info about shellac, but I did not about gellac. I will take a look later :)

One more thing, if it is fine with you: Are you saying that gellac is one of those colored gels which gives you bulky results? I want to know as I found that the price of gellac is half of Shellac and I am trying to find out why :green:

Thanks Geeg :hug:

I think the price is pretty similar between the two systems when you consider the size of the bottles/pots. depending on the system you choose.

In my opinion, the shine of Shellac lasts longer and better than any other system I have tried. The coloured gels scratch more easily and they are softer and more flexible which does not give my nails the strength I need and get with Shellac.

The end result visually, depends on the nail tech. To me the coloured gels shrink on application (which makes them thicker and therefore easy for clients to pick at, which they do) and there are more steps to using coloured gels than there are when using Shellac.

There is nothing unique about the different coloured gels; they are all VERY similar as the formulation has been sold to many many companies from the same manufacturer (which is why they all appeared on the market at the same time and in abundant colours) GellaK is no different to the others. You can try and see for yourself, don't take my word for it, especially if you are skeptical of my motives. Any good nail technician will be able to see and feel the difference.

Hiya

I'm in the same boat and trying to find out info on both the shellac and the gellish, it sounds like they both have advantages and disadvantages

I am begining to feel drawn towards the gellish because of ease of training and purchase of product for me in NI plus the fact they stay on longer and are stronger from what i have been reading anyway

Can anyone recommend which colours are most popular with the gellish

Hiya

I'm in the same boat and trying to find out info on both the shellac and the gellish, it sounds like they both have advantages and disadvantages

I am begining to feel drawn towards the gellish because of ease of training and purchase of product for me in NI plus the fact they stay on longer and are stronger from what i have been reading anyway

Can anyone recommend which colours are most popular with the gellish

Make your own mind up by all means, but do so with the facts ...

No thin coloured gel lasts longer than Shellac or I could say, Shellac lasts as long as any coloured gel and sometimes longer depending on nail growth. CND guarantee Shellac for 2 weeks, but in truth Shellac can and does last much longer .. the problem with ALL of these products is that after 3 weeks, the regrowth looks really terrible and it takes longer to soak off the older the product gets ... so in actual fact, the client will want to change every 3 weeks if they care about their appearance and value their time no matter what you use ... PLUS I want my clients to return every 2-3 weeks and sit in the chair opposite me, and not to push the product duration for weeks and weeks. Why would any technician want a product to last longer than 3 weeks?? :eek: Shellac will last every bit of that time and look better at the end of it.

That is a good point:!: with not being a nail tech. i've never seen the regrowth after two weeks; do nails really have that much regrowth after two weeks?
These are important details for me to take note of I appreciate your feedback
Do you use shellac in your salon?

That is a good point:!: with not being a nail tech. i've never seen the regrowth after two weeks; do nails really have that much regrowth after two weeks?

If you take a look in the Shellac lovers group, I am sure there are some pictures of nails at 2-3 weeks so you can see the regrowth.

I use Shellac ... I have tried and used 3 other thin gel systems ... all of the gels performed the same .. Shellac definitely is different and in my opinion superior; the way it goes on, the way it comes off, the minimum preparation of the natural nails, the polish-like appearance which is thin yet strong, the application which is simple and straightforward etc. Most of all I like the way my clients LOVE it. Not one person has come into our salon and asked for anything other than Shellac (by name). They have heard about it anywhere from friends to relatives in the USA. If I wanted coloured gels, I could have used any number of them ... I like the differences of Shellac.

After two weeks (for the majority of clients) the regrowth is acceptable .. after 3 weeks it is very noticeable and one wants rid. A change of colour perhaps and definitely a file down and re-do. If not, the client will start to break their nails as they become unmanageable and impractical.

These are my nails after 18 days. Shellac colour Wildfire. You can clearly see the regrowth but otherwise they are perfection .. and I am not kind to my hands; I use them. Note the shine .. I have never used a coloured gel that has this amount of brilliance after this amount of time.
geeg-albums-nail+artisan-picture28452-gigis-natural-nails-done-shellac-wildfire-18-days-ago.jpg

Last edited:
I love Shellac but hate the lack of color variety :(

So where can I get Gelac from?

These are my nails after 18 days. Shellac colour Wildfire. You can clearly see the regrowth but otherwise they are perfection .. and I am not kind to my hands; I use them. Note the shine .. I have never used a coloured gel that has this amount of brilliance after this amount of time.
geeg-albums-nail+artisan-picture28452-gigis-natural-nails-done-shellac-wildfire-18-days-ago.jpg

Geeg (or anyone else that uses Shellac) can you tell me, the colour in the above photo, Wildfire, it looks a true blood red/pillarbox red, the sort of colour that Dita Von Teese wears, is it actually that colour? I really want to try Shellac, and as that kind of red is my favourite (and most popular) I'd like to try that one first.

Many thanks:hug:

Geeg (or anyone else that uses Shellac) can you tell me, the colour in the above photo, Wildfire, it looks a true blood red/pillarbox red, the sort of colour that Dita Von Teese wears, is it actually that colour? I really want to try Shellac, and as that kind of red is my favourite (and most popular) I'd like to try that one first.

Yes, this is Wildfire. Gorgeous.

Hi there,
the Shellac Colour 'Wildfire' is an incredible, opaque, rich creme, pillar-box red. It's like the high quality shade of a fabulous Ferrari. Dita Von Teese would LOVE it. :)

That's perfect. Thanks lovelies:green:

Want a free class with Shellac? Take a look at these.

Login - CND

It really is as easy as it looks. No mystery. But do note how beautifully parallel the brush is kept on the nail when polishing ... this is one of the secrets along with a light touch to a perfect Shellac colour coat application. Also note the TINY amount of product on the brush by the time 'capping' is done ... no thick edges.

Just wanted to say that, that Colour is absolutely Stunning.

It is very very rich bright red very father Xmas or coca cola type red . I am wearing it at the min it's fab xx

i am sooooo tempted to get some and put it on trial to see how it goes - do u have a big shellac customer base kate x

Latest posts

Back