IBD Just Gel or Gellux?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkle_beauty

Reaction score
I've done hundreds of hours research into Gel Polish brands on Salon geek and the internet and have finally narrowed it down to IBD Just Gel or Gellux.
So for those of you that have used either of these please can you tell me the pros and cons to both brands.

I use gellux - it's very hard wearing I find it easy to remove I know it has bad reviews for removal but never had a problem - only downside is there is a limited selection of colours but they are bringing out new collections every now and then - it's easy to get at capital warehouse abnd cost £xx after tax also top and base comes in same bottle ��

Laura �� x

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I can't comment in Gellux as haven't used it, there are a few threads running at the moment on IBD just gel , I love it there is a massive choice in colours , cures under uv or led, and removal I find is usually fairly easy oh and you can layer colours too :)

I use gellux - it's very hard wearing I find it easy to remove I know it has bad reviews for removal but never had a problem - only downside is there is a limited selection of colours but they are bringing out new collections every now and then - it's easy to get at capital warehouse abnd cost £xx plus tax also top and base comes in same bottle ��

Laura �� x

I'm the same as Topsy, absolutely love my Gellux :) have almost all the colours which are lovely, very hard wearing and again it can be hard to remove but I have never personally had a problem! Xx

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done hundreds of hours research into Gel Polish brands on Salon geek and the internet and have finally narrowed it down to IBD Just Gel or Gellux.
So for those of you that have used either of these please can you tell me the pros and cons to both brands.
I'm having the same dilemma! I use Salon's Direct as my supplier and they have a few including these 2 you have mentioned, you can get a started kit of Gellux with 4 polishes for £xx plus VAT but then you have to buy the lamp at £xx (LED one).

IBD has a HUGE range of colours, also available with a kit of 6 colours but no prep, cleanse or remover, the LED lamp is a lot less at £xx but it's PINK! I'm not a pink person LOL...
I want to get everything I need and get started but I also want to get it right!

I suppose going for a smaller colour range means I don't have to buy a huge amount and it won't take clients as long to choose! We used Shellac during training but not considered Shellac trained so I would prefer to take on something that is available at my usual suppliers.

Last edited:
Can we all remember not to post trade prices on the public forum! :)

I'm having the same dilemma! I use Salon's Direct as my supplier and they have a few including these 2 you have mentioned, you can get a started kit of Gellux with 4 polishes for £xx plus VAT but then you have to buy the lamp at £94.50 (LED one).

IBD has a HUGE range of colours, also available with a kit of 6 colours but no prep, cleanse or remover, the LED lamp is a lot less at £44.50 but it's PINK! I'm not a pink person LOL...
I want to get everything I need and get started but I also want to get it right!

I suppose going for a smaller colour range means I don't have to buy a huge amount and it won't take clients as long to choose! We used Shellac during training but not considered Shellac trained so I would prefer to take on something that is available at my usual suppliers.

The IBD lamp is white with blue on it unless I've missed a new launch, but they do say it can be cured with any uv lamp or led, I actually use a Cuccio one with no problems when out and about travelling as its a lot smaller

I have used gellux for last couple of years now and I use a standard 36w uv lamp and you can get hold of these a lot cheaper than the branded lamps x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't have any experience with Gellux, but I have heard that it can be hard to remove. That is my complaint with IBD Just Gel as well. I love their range of colors - deep, and saturated colors, but I don't like their base. Although our salons rarely intermix, on my own nails, I use IBD Just Gel with Gelish base and top which is within the manufacturer's instructions. I do like IBG Just Gel very much and the price point is excellent, but I have found their customer support and marketing materials to be difficult to come by and market penetration is weak. Oh, and you should know that IBD Just Gel has two sister brands, EZFlow Trugel and SuperNails ProGel, that are considered dupes.

I haven't used gellux but do use ibd just gel.

Pros - price
Huge colour range with new limited edition collections coming out.
Matching lacquers
UV or led cure
Great wear time
Removal is easy (I use opi expert touch & find this removes it quicker & easier than the salon brand acetone I was using before)
Powerbond is available & is great for people who need extra adhesion.

Cons - I find the powerbond can be a little stubborn to remove.
Top coat could be shinier.
Customer service & advertising etc is lacking!

More pros then cons, and the cons are nothing really, just me picking picky. 😁

I haven't used gellux but do use ibd just gel.

Pros - price
Huge colour range with new limited edition collections coming out.
Matching lacquers
UV or led cure
Great wear time
Removal is easy (I use opi expert touch & find this removes it quicker & easier than the salon brand acetone I was using before)
Powerbond is available & is great for people who need extra adhesion.

Cons - I find the powerbond can be a little stubborn to remove.
Top coat could be shinier.
Customer service & advertising etc is lacking!

More pros then cons, and the cons are nothing really, just me picking picky. 😁

I agree with all of this.

One thing I would like to add is in the 6 months I have been using ibd JGP they have come out with Launch 4 and have released 2 limited edition ranges. That is pretty good as far as I am concerned.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply I leaning more towards ibd just because of the colour choice. Only problem is I want all of the colours!

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply I leaning more towards ibd just because of the colour choice. Only problem is I want all of the colours!

I haven't tried gellux but have recently tried ibd, I use shellac and opi gelcolor in my salon. So far I like ibd it has been wearing well on my nails (which nothing stays on!).

The colours are lovely and the price is really good. Haven't removed yet so not sure what that will be like. I'm used to how easy opi gelcolor is to remove so that may frustrate me a bit, but if I can keep it on for over a week on my nails I will be happy and prepared to put up with the slightly harder removal.

I only wish I could get the new colours now as they look lovely!

Can we all remember not to post trade prices on the public forum! :)
sorry! very new here, should I remove my post?
Louise

The IBD lamp is white with blue on it unless I've missed a new launch, but they do say it can be cured with any uv lamp or led, I actually use a Cuccio one with no problems when out and about travelling as its a lot smaller
It's definitely pink LOL... unless I get it somewhere else, it's the LED not the regular UV which is a heck of a lot more price wise

It's definitely pink LOL... unless I get it somewhere else, it's the LED not the regular UV which is a heck of a lot more price wise

Is that the little pink lamp, they are not the best, cheap for a reason, I would definitely invest in a better one :biggrin:

Is that the little pink lamp, they are not the best, cheap for a reason, I would definitely invest in a better one :biggrin:
Thanx for that I may go with Gellux with their lamp then, their kit has everything I need in it too. I really don't want to buy a lamp that is not part of the same range after reading all the UV/LED stuff on many types of lamp, I'm mobile too and it did say that the little pink one was great for mobiles but I don't want it if it's naff LOL

Originally Posted by Dexy
"""It's definitely pink LOL... unless I get it somewhere else, it's the LED not the regular UV which is a heck of a lot more price wise ""

I may have misunderstood the posts, but if i havnt, I just wanted to add, The IBD lamp is NOT pink. They only have blue & white lamps. They have the jet led & i believe they have just released a new led lamp. Again, blue & white.

The pink lamp must just be a no brand lamp the store is selling. If it is part of a kit, it must be a kit the store has put together.

This is the original ibd led lamp.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1379513883.928031.jpg

"""It's definitely pink LOL... unless I get it somewhere else, it's the LED not the regular UV which is a heck of a lot more price wise ""

I may have misunderstood the posts, but if i havnt, I just wanted to add, The IBD lamp is NOT pink. They only have blue & white lamps. They have the jet led & i believe they have just released a new led lamp. Again, blue & white.

The pink lamp must just be a no brand lamp the store is selling. If it is part of a kit, it must be a kit the store has put together.

This is the original ibd led lamp.

View attachment 43144
it was misleading in the catalogue as it was on the IBD page, no it is a really cheapy one and I'm not having that LOL ;)

it was misleading in the catalogue as it was on the IBD page, no it is a really cheapy one and I'm not having that LOL ;)

This is what I was trying to say earlier if it was pink its not the IBD lamp, a lot try to catch you out this way , eBay have countless "shellac" kits with just a cheap uv lamp with them , can't fault the polish though, just about to start swatching 40 colours to post on here ! X

Latest posts

Back