IBD Just Gel vs Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachasorousrex

Reaction score
I currently use Shellac, but it's so expensive. I can get IBD for much cheaper, but haven't used it. Anyone currently use IBD Just Gel Polish? How is the application and how long does it seem to last on your clients?

I use the just gel, i love it. The colours are fab and the application is great IMO. I used to use gellux but had so many problems, since ive bern using ibd, i havent had 1 problem :) hth xx

Oh an clients love the wear of it :) although we recommend 2weeks and a soak off, some have gone 3/4 without a problem at all. Xx

Just gel is fantastic. I find some lighter colours can take up to 5 coats to look full but I love it and the colours are fab!

I have it on over extensions at the moment and have had it on 4 weeks Friday... Not a chip. And I have been on holiday for two weeks in and out of the sea/pool - no colour fade!!

Brilliant!

Just gel is fantastic. I find some lighter colours can take up to 5 coats to look full but I love it and the colours are fab!

I have it on over extensions at the moment and have had it on 4 weeks Friday... Not a chip. And I have been on holiday for two weeks in and out of the sea/pool - no colour fade!!

Brilliant!

I put a layer of whipped cream underneath the brighter ones makes them pop really good too :-D xx

The bottle size is large, also

I've not used shellac so cannot compare but I loved just gel and its wide colour range x

Hi to those that use Ibd just gel what is the removal like - it says 10 mins so is this accurate. Can anyone tell me the difference with Gelish because IBD says 100% pure gel formula - i don't get all the science bit?

Good idea mommabear :)

Definitely will include on my next order.

I've used gellux before and would say the removal is no different. I apply acetone to cottonwool and use foil to attach to the nail - leave for 10 mins then remove the gel. Some may need re-soaking for 2-3mins but no issues.

X

I have used both. I have 1 bottle of Shellac and 35 bottles of Just Gel, enough said!

As for the soak off, I use the foil method and usually do it for 15 minutes. However if you use the Power Bond you might find you have to soak for a little longer.

Definitely shellac for me! You can later the colours which more than doubles what you have and with the additives your colours are endless.

Just gel & shellac are completely different from each other though. Maybe find a tech in your area & find out what it's like for yourself before you invest.

But let me say, if it being expensive is what bothers you, surely buying all the kit for just gel when you already have shellac will cost you a hell of a lot more?
Sam
Xx

I'm on the fence with this x I switched to shellac from gellux & love the product but I had clients asking for neon colours so I got a few of the really bright colours to try in just gel & so far I'm liking it. Removal is a bit longer than shellac & you have to buff the shine off before you soak but its coming off nicely.
I'd have both treatments & see hoe you find both
Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm on the fence with this x I switched to shellac from gellux & love the product but I had clients asking for neon colours so I got a few of the really bright colours to try in just gel & so far I'm liking it. Removal is a bit longer than shellac & you have to buff the shine off before you soak but its coming off nicely.
I'd have both treatments & see hoe you find both
Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

For neons just buy cosmetic grade colour pigments and burnish them into the tacky layer of your colour coat. Works with pretty much every brand of gel polish. And is much cheaper than buying lots of new colours.
Xx

I use both and find them both great. Different things work for different people. I wear shellac myself as I'm so sensitive to anything else but I use them equally with clients.
I would say go and have them both done on yourself and see which you prefer... Soak off time, wear etc.
I am in Norfolk if you're anywhere near and would be happy to do them for you x

Thanks for all the replies, ladies! And Pixie, that's so sweet of you to offer. I'd love to take you up on it, if I wasn't in the states.

I have been curious about Just Gel myself. I use Gelish and Shellac and I prefer Gelish to my surprise as I love CND products and use them daily. I have not wanted to go the cheap route with my business but if you can get good quality for cheaper why not? I had a bad experience with IBD's intro gel kit as it WOULD NOT CURE AT ALL and have not wanted to use ANY of their products since, but I think the kit I bought was old and defective honestly. Let me know what you think of it if you try it. I do like the colors in Just Gel and have been curious. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back