IBD Problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyndsay

Reaction score
Hello,
I am having a several nightmares with IBD, but I am quite new to it.
1. IBD Gel
After following the instructions carefully the clients are leaving with nails that look fine, but after a couple of days the gel starts lifting/cracking/peeling off of the tip itself, but not off the natural nail part.
I use french tips
buff the shine off
apply bonder sparingly on the tip and cure.
I have been advised by Grafton to cure the bonder for 3 minutues not 1, but they said they have only expirienced the lifting off the natural nail and not the tip - boo.

2. Ultra Seal
Why is it that I find after applying ultra seal that when painting nail polish on top the polish seems to react and go all pitted and slimy?

I would appreciate your help with this - thank you so much!
Lyndsay
icon_cry.gif

PS I also have Odyssey problems and will put those on a new thread.

Hi there, I use ibd gel (mostly) and had a problem with some french tips, after talking it over with other friends (b4 i knew of this site)we realised that some tips do not take well to gel i.e we all had problems with starnails white tips! I use millenium or lauren Amoresse and no longer have problems, so i guess what i am saying is it may not be you it could be the tips.
:)

I too use IBD gel and can't say that I've experienced the problems you have. The white tips I use are by Pure Nails and haven't had any problem with them.

With regard to the Ultra Seal, are you removing the sticky layer before applying the enamel? The pitting can also be due to the fact that the layer of Ultraseal is too thin or thick!! ;)

Did you originally train with IBD?

Many thanks for your answers, I am infact using 'star nails' white tips so I will go and get myself some new ones!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

are u using the ibd lamp too, this does make a difference

Hi there

I am an ibd user an have been using it for 3 years now an think its the best gel system ........ out of all that i have tried an feel its the strongest gel system.

the tips i use are millenium tips which are excellent value tips an smile lines are perfect.

as for the ultra seal i have never used it over nail polish so cant comment
but using after you have reshaped then nail if un even apply it evenly an cure for 3 mins under a ibd lamp, if it isnt an ibd lamp an another make double the curing times thats what grafton always advised me.

hope you get on ok anyway

check out this thread

http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=19739&highlight=white+tips+gel

this is what sassy hassy said;

Sassy Hassy said:
You can use French tips, but gel can be a bit temperamental with them as it reflects the uv light back and can cause under cure of your gel. Make sure you get off all the shine of the tip. REALLY scrub in your bonding layer into the tip. Make sure you cap the end of the tip, and double cure each gel layer (ie put it in the light twice). Otherwise you may find the gel seperates from the tip and they come back with all and sundry trapped underneath it.

I use pink gel as my bonding layer, and clear gel as my builder layer, and seal with finishing gloss,

thanks Kate! Saved me repeating myself!!

lol. i knew id read it somewhere before!!

When I did my training with IBD last May, the trainer confirmed that the gel does not work very well with white tips...so I tend to use the white gel instead of white tips.

Without reading Sassy's response, white tips go through more of a process than ordinary tips so the quality of them seem to be less stronger than other tips..

I have been using IBD Gel since 1984 (cough...yes I'm old...lol)when it first hit the market here in the States and IBD called it Lady Fingers and the curing lamp was a desk lamp with UV bulbs.....lol (thank heavens for progress...lol)The tips that were recommened way back then to be used were backscratchers, and ever since then those are the tips I have always used with IBD gels...and never had a problem with them...Unless the client used their nails for tools, used cleaning products without gloves...etc......grrrrrrrrr! I put a stop to that with my aftercare/maintance handouts.

Anyways...I found a trick to test tips and gels before using them on a client. I glue a tip to a wooden stick (froven treat stick, orangewood stick...etc), then prep as I would normally, then gel, cure...etc as I would normally, then I do to them as someone would with them on their hands...expose them to cold, hot, water...etc if they stay...I know that those tips will work well with that brand of gel and work for a client. But if they don't then I know not to use that gel with those tips...and all I'm out is a bit of gel and the tip instead of having to repair and or replace for a paying client. This has saved me wasted man hours and money over the yrs.

I've been using IBD's new Intence Seal instead of the Ultra Seal...works like a dream. HTH

Lyndsay said:
2. Ultra Seal
Why is it that I find after applying ultra seal that when painting nail polish on top the polish seems to react and go all pitted and slimy?

are you wiping it over after you have cured it?? someitimes the ultra seal can go patchy if the surface of the nail is too smooth. so try using a lower grit file to finish the nails then apply your ultra seal. you must also ensure that there is NO DUST at all left on the nail. as this doesnt react too well with the ultra seal!

Lyndsay said:
PS I also have Odyssey problems and will put those on a new thread.
dont get me started on odyssey!!! lol.no matter what i do i get air bubbles and other flaws, i hate the bloody stuff! deciding which L&P brand to convert to at the moment. between creative, IBD and EZFlow.

Blasted....I forgot to mention in my post that the reason I went to using the Intense seal from IBD was because you do not do the final buffing of the nails you wipe the nail free from dust put a thin coat of the intese seal on, cure the nail 3 minutes and that's it...your done...no need to have to cleanse with this one after curing. and it lasts a good 3 weeks if treated right.

So far this has worked great for me...it hasn't gotten cloudy, stays put, no bubbles, and has stayed very shiny. I had a client that painted her nails for a dinner party about a week after she had her nails done...after the party she took the polish off and figured she was going to have to come back for a touch up...but she was floored to see that even after taking the polish off...the Intense seal was still there, and stopped by to show me, I was happy...one less thing to have to fix that day....lol

Anywho...the Intense seal is more pricey then the Ultra seal...but I've found it's worth it.

Latest posts

Back