Ideal Vitality Shopping Channel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have to share my extreme annoyance and anger with regard to the following, in the hope that someone will back me up and agree to my feelings.

Was watching above shopping channel over w/end as i saw that a programme was to be on selling a RIO UV GEL KIT for £45. I was interested in seeing how they were planning to promote this extension set via the T.V.

Well I am sorry, I watched the one hour slot and was absolutely horrified at the whole thing. The woman doing the demo, aparently runs a salon herself and classes herself as a 'Nail Tech'. I was cringing for her and also us for our profession as a whole. I shan't go into a big drama over it, however I have listed below exactly what knarked me off. I am considering starting a campain against companies like RIO who are undermining our profession via both the TV and through retail in high street shops such as Boots, at the end of the day it will be us mere mortals, who will have to put right what has gone wrong.

- The Nail Tech involved couldnt even hold a nail file or buffer.
- Noone explained about sizing a tip or correct nail preperation.
- Nail Tech explained that to blend tip you had to apply acetone to the seam line in order to melt it, well she had so much product going on it was all over the clients hand.
- When it came to buffing, no explanation about avoiding the natural nail or how to actually buff out the seam.
- When she slapped on the gel she had it all over the cuticles and skin.
- She said that as it self leveled you could just slap it on in any old manner.
- You had a choice of putting on three thin layers and curing for three mins each, but when you are better, just slap on a very thick layer and cure for nine minutes, nine minutes what is that all about.
- when nails finished she didn't buff down, apply top coat or anything, just left them as they were.

The nails looked horendus and were a real insult to our profession. She basically questioned how we could possibly justify charging 45 pounds for a set of nails when you could buy the kit for that price. I was furious, and when I found out that she was a Nail Tech I could not believe it, and she didn't even know how to hold a file. It says it all doesnt it.

Anyway they ended up having a phone in and there was a fellow nail tech, basically saying that you wouldn't find a Gel Lamp for under 60 quid and that it was well worth buying the kit for that very reason. She was even slagging off professional nail products and companies.

Enough, I am so wound up you wouldn't believe! Well you probably would actually.

Things should be done to stop such cowboy companies from making a quick buck from the poor suspecting general public.

If you want quality and a professionally trained tech, you just have to pay the price, get over it!!! :mad:

Gina
-

Hi,
I can totaly understand your anger towards this, yes it is rather in anoying when things like this come out, however I always try and look at it form other angels, lets face it hairdressers must get the hump also when clippers are advertised and hair braiding etc, but they survive because at the end of the day true clients want the pampering experience, well i believe anyway.

A good service to me is a complete one, not just doing a job on myself, no i would want a proffesional to do my nails, to treat me as if I am special, have a cup of tea/coffee/water what ever and have a lovely set of nails with no damage to my natural nail.

At the end of the day i would say do not worry to much because all those who would rather go and buy a boots set or Rio set are obviously not serious about there nails, however by the time they have messed it up a few times and found out it is not quite so easy to do it on them selves they will soon be popping round for you to rectify it and then bingo you have a new client.

Us proffesionals can survive this with no problem because we offer a full service not a DIY one, don't worry yourself I say, although I can really appreciate the frustration of it all.

Grace x

Sometimes it helps to look at another country who has had the same problems and see how they have fared??

In the US, a company called Newways has been selling a gel and a lamp for years!!! It hasn't affected the salon business which keeps rising every year.

In the US you can go into the smallest chemist shop and you would not believe the array of nail products they sell? Including tips and L/P. it has not stopped the rise of the professional nail service.

People are not as stupid as you think. They KNOW they are not going to be able to produce salon quality nails or be using a salon quality product!! And the ones that don't know they are being conned ??? Let 'em get on with it.

sawasdee ka

the nail buisness is the same as beauty for hair professional you can go buy loreal hair color today in many shop but when you want your hair to look good and get good job you go to the salon for professional .

If some body want to color there hair or put high lite same i speak let them do it .

this thing only catch some body 1 time i not worry about this you will not lose customer and we all know how much education and practice we have to make nails good .

Mui from Thailand

Would just like to say that i totally agree with you. I did buy the Rio kit myself last year, although i already knew a bit about extensions and about 6 years ago i also bought a backscratchers fibreglass kit from argos as well. It is not an easy thing to learn by just watching someone or watching a 20 minute video.

So totally agree that not just anyone can do it.

(Does any of that make sense???)

Sammie

mui said:
sawasdee ka

the nail buisness is the same as beauty for hair professional you can go buy loreal hair color today in many shop but when you want your hair to look good and get good job you go to the salon for professional .

If some body want to color there hair or put high lite same i speak let them do it .

this thing only catch some body 1 time i not worry about this you will not lose customer and we all know how much education and practice we have to make nails good .

Mui from Thailand

Hiya

I know this is sooo annoying but i am a hairdresser too and yes i do have to put a lot (blomming loads actually) of home colours and perms :eek: right.

Best advice i can give you is ignore it, its really not worth the stress headache of letting it wind you up. This used to wind me up something chronic until a very wise lady (geeg ;) ) told me in no uncertain terms to get over it and concentrate on my own business. Best advice ever!! :lol:

Chill, we will survive if your a professional thats all that matters!!

I had the bad luck to catch a part of this section on the shopping channel and was just as horrified as Gina at the level of skill of the demonstrator. I think what horrified me more though was the presenter suggesting that buyers can offer to apply the nails to friends and family and even start up a business!!!!!!

Unfortunately for the professional industry in this country this can happen with ease due to the lack of licensing (unlike the US). I think the best thing to do is not ignore it but "get over it" as Gigi says and do the best client education you can so that as many people as possible know and understand what the professional industry is all about and this certainly does not include a 'home learn kit' bought from a shopping channel or high street store.

Marian (Newman)

Thanks Marian

I just couldn't beleive it and I am glad you saw it too. It just rattled my cage.

Take it easy
Gina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back