Ideas for natural look on a nurse?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs

Reaction score
Can a nurse wear a natural overlay? What colour gelish would be acceptable? Are they allowed to wear french? Thanks for any advice xx

Unsure about nurses but I know healthcare assistants can have French and natural as long as they are free of polish and are short and kept clean. Hope this helps x

As far as I know it's not the colour that's the issue its the overlay itself, lots of nurses aren't allowed even clear overlays because of risk of bacteria. I think it varies from trust to trust so they'd need to check with their employers.

I have lots of nurses and apply clear overlay with l and p then gelish forever beauty nice and natural

As far as I know it's not the colour that's the issue its the overlay itself, lots of nurses aren't allowed even clear overlays because of risk of bacteria. I think it varies from trust to trust so they'd need to check with their employers.

my best friend is a nurse here, and this is exactly the reason. They're not supposed to have any nail coverings at all. MOST try to get away with it by wearing natural/french colours :)

it'll be up to your client weather she opts to try it

They officially shouldn't have any sort of nail covering at all! However they can probably get away with anything fairly neutral or sheer. (Ie something they won't get caught wearing!) I would avoid French as the white tip can stand out and draw attention to the nail! My friend is a nurse and we did Shellac Grapefruit Sparkle on hers z

I work in healthcare and we are not allowed to have acrylic, gel or any type of enhancements due to bacteria getting under nails that can spread to our patients. We can wear polish as long as it's not chipped. The funny thing is, our nails can be no longer than a 1/4 inch over our fingertip. This to me doesn't make any sense since bacteria can collect under the free edge too and spread just as it could with enhancements. A lot of nurses that I work with do wear gel polish. I would say if she can't wear color, then a French mani or a clear color like Clearly Pink or Simpler Sheer would work. Her nails will look well taken care of without being flashy.

I'm all for breaking the rules as long as the rule you break does not impact others, so in saying that I just want to add something that just happened in the last week in my life but it's not exactly the same but it's still about rules and sometimes rules are there for a good reason....as in, nurses not being allowed to wear enhancement products due to bacteria risks etc.

My miss 16 just started her first job at our local Macdonalds store, one of the first rules was, no enhancements, keep nails clear of all products incl nail polish and keep them short.
She follows this rules (thanks to me making her follow it) but her trainer does not. Miss 16 came home from her 2nd shift to tell me how she just watched her trainer bite off all her L&P nails (she calls them acrylic) and complain about the pain but as she was doing this, one flung out of her mouth with the force apparently and vanished, no one could find it.
Well, it turned up!! It turned up in a customers small fries!!! The customer bought the offending nail and fries back into the store and spoke with the manager and this is all happened in front of my miss 16 and the trainer fled out the back apparently cause she knew she was going to be busted.
Yep! She was busted and more, she was stood down because unbeknown to my miss 16, she was on her final chance to correct her behavior at work and follow rules etc and she had had her 3 written warnings and this incident allowed them to fire her on the spot.
Whilst it was a good lesson to my miss 16 to see that these things do and will happen if you don't wish to follow the health rules, I can only imagine the customers horror finding that in their fries.

So it may not be the same situation as being a nurse but sometimes if we wish to make a commitment to a career, we have to make sacrifices in other areas....like having nice long colorful nails.....just saying:)

Each to their own though:)

I work in healthcare and we are not allowed to have acrylic, gel or any type of enhancements due to bacteria getting under nails that can spread to our patients. We can wear polish as long as it's not chipped. The funny thing is, our nails can be no longer than a 1/4 inch over our fingertip. This to me doesn't make any sense since bacteria can collect under the free edge too and spread just as it could with enhancements. A lot of nurses that I work with do wear gel polish. I would say if she can't wear color, then a French mani or a clear color like Clearly Pink or Simpler Sheer would work. Her nails will look well taken care of without being flashy.

1/4 inch over fingertip. That's very long and you can imagine how much bacteria could stay under there. You wouldn't be able to wash your hands "properly - hand decontamination" with nails that long. We aren't allowed any free edge. 1-2 mm is the standard. No polish no enhancements.

I had a nurse in the other day for a Shellac manicure and she just had an unassuming colour as she is always wearing gloves so she said it wasn't an issue

I have clients that are nurses, they all wear shellac, with nail lengths short, no length to be seen over the end of their finger tip. I make record of it within their client card, as they say they all wear gloves, so it's not an issue for them. Do I personally agree with it .....no, however is it for me to enforce NHS regs? No, that is the trusts job. Some trusts have local agreements that they work to, and to agree it they would have had to risk assess it. So my clients are happy with the treatment I provide, and that's all I need to be concerned with, my personal opinions don't come into it. Xx

I'm a registered nurse and midwife and no, we are not allowed any enhancements, or polish. Due to bacteria, as a student we did a test after handwashing and anyone with enhancements still had the bacteria around the nail. Chipped polish is reason why we can not wear it either. Ofcourse a lot of nurses break the rule and wear it, or take a risk and have enhancements but honestly I would not like to be bringing home any nasties (think MRSA) to my family.

I love nails though and am not currently working, so about to start a nail tech cert. I am going to have a Nurse Manicure where it is lots of moisturiser, massage, file and a buff.

I'm a registered nurse and midwife and no, we are not allowed any enhancements, or polish. Due to bacteria, as a student we did a test after handwashing and anyone with enhancements still had the bacteria around the nail. Chipped polish is reason why we can not wear it either. Ofcourse a lot of nurses break the rule and wear it, or take a risk and have enhancements but honestly I would not like to be bringing home any nasties (think MRSA) to my family.

I love nails though and am not currently working, so about to start a nail tech cert. I am going to have a Nurse Manicure where it is lots of moisturiser, massage, file and a buff.

And cuticles! Don't forget the cuticles! :D

Latest posts

Back