Identifying Onycholysis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eob

Reaction score
Hello

Can anyone tell me what to look for if they think someone is suffering with onycholysis whilst wearing nail enhancements? They reason I ask is that I have a regular client who wears gel and has had no probs for weeks now. She came in today for her fortnightly rebalance and I noticed on the thumb that the gel looked cloudy. This was about her 6th infill. Obviously newer gel is over the top now. Is it possible that the old gel is discolouring or could she be suffering with onycholysis under the extension. Her free edge looks healthy and when you look under the nail the hypernychium is fine, not sore and it does not look like it is separating.

Any advice anyone?

Thanks
Emma

Sounds like it could be pocket lifting. If there is no separation at the hypernychium then this doesnt sound like onycholysis as Im sure that only happens from under the free edge between nail bed and plate.
Have you done this many infills with this gel before, maybe the colour goes cloudy was it ages?
I think I would buff it away because if it is pocket lifting the old product needs to be taken away to avoid the dreaded greenie!:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back