Identity theft,do you check your statements??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABSann

Reaction score
With this latest scam with the 2 discs that went missing,are you keeping an eye on your statements???It's crucial we do.Saw a program tonight and it's damned scary,I can tell you.
Criminals have built up their own community where thay can exchange personal details of stolen identities.

It is said 15 million id's have gone missing and if fraudsters get £1.oo for every ID they sell they can make....£15 million:eek:

Be aware peeps please.HTH

its frightening isnt it, what they can do

must admit (me being the monica i am ) ive always checked off my bank statement each month and my credit card, i do it at least once a month, and with this latest problem i log on every day and make sure no activity going on

but well said babs, please everyone be extra careful :hug:

Yep I check mine regularly but must admit I am now checking it daily:eek:
we all need to be on the ball with this its a growing problem.

Its a damned big eye opener,and I know many of us dont bother checking regularly,I for one.:eek:After this though I sure will be.

I have to say that I will be checking more regularly from now on. Thanks for starting this thread Babs!
Get a cross cut shredder too and shred anything with any personal details - including receipts.

I have to say that I will be checking more regularly from now on. Thanks for starting this thread Babs!
Get a cross cut shredder too and shred anything with any personal details - including receipts.
Yeah already do that Rouge but it seems we dont need that:eek:xx

Sorry I thought everyone had seen this or heard of this.:eek:

Child benefit discs were lost ,thes discs are apparently a criminals dream:eek:

A thief,a fraudster or along those lines would feel they had one the lottery from what I have read and heard.

People have passwords and tonight it took approx 3 secs for a guy to find the password to one individuals details:irked:

Lost child benefit discs containing private bank details are 'a criminal's dream' | the Daily Mail

Look at this,I cettainly hope it helps.

I burn all of our bank statements on the fire LMFAO :evil:

I burn all of our bank statements on the fire LMFAO :evil:

My mum and dad do this too. now and again my mum will put some in the gunky compost bin too. Its totally gross and dout anyone would want to delve in there to get at them

A few years ago my bro went to get £10 out of his account the day before payday and couldn't. He knew he had £15 in his account, but when he went into the bank he found a payment for £9 had left his account. The bank explained that this is the norm, somewhere between £5 and £25 is what goes missing, usually your account is never hit again and the thieves just move on. The bank refunds your money and thats it. But that most peeps don't even realise they've been hit.
3 months later my brothers account was hit again, for the princely sum of £16 second time around meant his account details had to be changed new numbers, and cards issued, the lot so that his original account could be left running with a trace on it, waiting for them to try it again.

bit confused with this.
I get my child benefit paid into my bank account, so is it my bank account details that are at risk?

I don't do online banking, but get 3 alerts to check my bank account every day, mostly from banks that I don't bank with, which is a relief.

I do phone banking, which is OK but, I then check my bank account every month.

I have been bad at this in the past as vistaprint managed to take £10 out of my account every month for a year without me noticing.

yep hun, anyone who had child benefit is at risk, as all the back up records have gone missing, they keep saying they dont think theyve fallen into the wrong hands, btu how do they know?

so they are urging everyone to be extra vigilant and check your accounts regularly if anything goes out that you havent authorised contact bank and polics immediatly, also they say people's passwords are easy to guess sometimes, so if you password, for online/telephone/security banking is something like a childs name or address or something that is within your personal details change it immediatly, luckily my password is so onscure noone would ever guess it, but apparntly lots of people used kids names etc, which they say fraudsters and thieves can easily work out

so again, everyone please be careful xxxx

yep hun, anyone who had child benefit is at risk, as all the back up records have gone missing, they keep saying they dont think theyve fallen into the wrong hands, btu how do they know?

so they are urging everyone to be extra vigilant and check your accounts regularly if anything goes out that you havent authorised contact bank and polics immediatly, also they say people's passwords are easy to guess sometimes, so if you password, for online/telephone/security banking is something like a childs name or address or something that is within your personal details change it immediatly, luckily my password is so onscure noone would ever guess it, but apparntly lots of people used kids names etc, which they say fraudsters and thieves can easily work out

so again, everyone please be careful xxxx

On the program I watched last night they guessed the presenters password in seconds:eek:
I dont see how they can possibly say they dont think the details could get into the wrong hands as you've said Nicky how on earth do they come to this conclusion?If they know that then why dont they know where the missing discs are?

Some poor guy had about £30,000 taken from his account,it was his pension fund,the bank gave him all the money back as he proved that he was at work,five miles away from the bank that the money was taken from.This wasn't anything to do with child suppport but it's happening everywhere.

You're right , you know Babs, it's pretty damn scary.

I've always been careful about shredding bank statements and anything with personal details on.......however with this whole thing happening, it makes you wonder why we needed to bother in the first place! (Although I still will continue to do so.)

I received a letter this morning from the Inland Revenue saying mine,and my sons details are among those to have gone missing,including d.o.b.,addy,nat ins number etc.

I'm really conncerned,sounds silly but you always think it'll happen to someone else :cry:

In this instance there is nothing i could have done. My bank are aware,in fact my card was declined yesterday argos online,i thought i had pressed refresh or someting,turns out my bank knew my details had gone two days ago,and i only found out today :rolleyes:

I received a letter this morning from the Inland Revenue saying mine,and my sons details are among those to have gone missing,including d.o.b.,addy,nat ins number etc.

I'm really conncerned,sounds silly but you always think it'll happen to someone else :cry:

In this instance there is nothing i could have done. My bank are aware,in fact my card was declined yesterday argos online,i thought i had pressed refresh or someting,turns out my bank knew my details had gone two days ago,and i only found out today :rolleyes:
OMG becki,yes you're right you do think it will only happen to someone else,at least you have been informed and hopefully they will advise you on what to do though they cant change your nat insurance number.

I saw a program the other day about these thiefs stealing our id's from Facebook as well,it's an idea not to put your real dob on your profile etc.hence why I think Im about 90yrs old on it,lol

These ID thiefs are just about everywhere and it's so easy it's frightening.I hope things get sorted for you though Becki.:hug:xx

The thing I find most frightening about this is that they can steal your identity and change your address so that you never see the bills they are charging. You don't know until you apply for credit and find there is a huge problem.

I have to say, I'm quite impressed with the way your bank handled this. I suppose at the end of the day it's their money they'd lose, as they'd have to reimburse you. They could have told you though!

Have they given you any advice on how to try and prevent any fraud?

Latest posts

Back