If I dont do the NVQ3 in beauty will it hold me back as a therapist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nenee

Reaction score
Hi there

Im presently doing beauty therapy 2 evenings a week 6 till 9 pm, working and have a 11 month old baby and a teenager etc. I love my beauty course but I dont know whether committing to a further 18 months to complete the NVQ3???? I feel it will hold me back if I do eventually open my salon and Im worried I will always think I should of done the level 3!

My first question is why do we need to do it, what treatments will I not be able to do on clients? Will I not be able to get intensive skin care such as Environ?

Is there a quicker route of doing the level 3 instead of 2 nights for 18 months?? Is there a reputable company that do the level 3 in a shorter time but with the same standard?

If I didnt have to juggel family life, work and renovating a house I would be fully on board but I feel Im pulled in all directions especially with the work load expected to do at home as weel, I find the work not difficult its just the time it takes

help!
:)

All i can say is that during the time i was doing my level 2 i found that everywhere was looking for people who had done level 2 and 3.
It all depends on what kinda place you are after working in.
I hated most of the treatments covered in my level 3 and i really don't think i'll use the skills but i'm glad i did it. Glad of the experiance.
I know what you mean about juggling work, family, college and life. Why not try speaking to managers of the places that you could apply for jobs? May only take a few calls to help you make up your mind.
HTHs.

I think your right I have heard that high rep salons expect level 3 and if I go for a job and only have level 2 they ar enot going to pick me, I will have to do it for my own future etc , just see if any other way of doing it quicker but still at a high standard?

I olny did level 2 beauty it hasnt held me back i went to college to do nails , sweedish massage and tanning and i do very well with the treatments that i offer.

Hi. I am doing a level 2 and 3 at college at teh same time. My level 2 is 2 evenings a week, 6pm till 9pm. My level 3 is one fulll day a week (a Tuesday) it is hard work as I also work part time in an office and I have a 15 month old daughter. I wanst going to bother with my level 3 as I know that I want to go mobile, but I have decided that I may as well do it now incase I do ever open a salon or anything. My college does different types of level 3, the one that I am doing is only for 30 weeks, and it is a massage course that covers all massages.

Sorry couldnt really be much help as I dont know what courses your college offers etc.

Carrie xxx

Hi ya

Iv just checked with my local colleges and the minimum they do is 3 full days at college, which is not financially feesable for me aas id have to pay a creche of 32 per day and already struggling financially like most I know! looks like another 18 months of 2 evenings a week:irked: But it will all be worth it just have to keep up the hard work! Just wish they did one day a week for me then I could do that not much to pay etc.

nenee

I'm a bit concerned about this as well, any training I do is going to be a big financial stretch for me and I will have to fit it around working full-time. The college courses I have found in travelling distance of me are not great and I have already decided that I will train "privately" (is that the right term?) to do nails and am looking for similar beauty training.
What worries me (as well as there being more employment opportunities if you're Level 3) is if some kind of licensing comes in for beauty and nail practitioners (which I would be in favour of to ensure consistent standards) and they decide you must have NVQ accreditation to operate.

I was looking at the Pinks site yesterday - looks good! Just have to work out my budget plan now :(

They are pricey but very worth it!
xxx

not cheap, and I cant find that amount of cash unfortunately, I bet its a fantastic course too, also says can take a year to complete level 3, so looks like Il have to do the 18 mth course due to money etc:cry:

Looks like need money to make money at times ahhh:irked:

i say do the nvq 3

i have seen alot of jobs ads for therapists with a level 3 qualification

i think we all know what you mean by having to juggle family life,work and study. But they do say that nothing worth having every came easy

Im at college doing level 2, I dont want to do level 3. I dont like the massage part. but there are so many seperate courses you can do. you have a good start with the level 2, you can just build on that with the courses you do like. I suppose it depends on what job you want after? If you are going to work for yourself mobile or renting a room from a salon it doesn't matter so much, but if you want to work for a spa/hotel or on a cruise liner then I would say yes it would affect you getting a job. Good luck with whatever you decide x:)

I am half way through my level 3. Like you I did my level 2, two evenings a week 6-9pm. I'm doing the same now. I have 3 children ranging from 3yr up to 16. Yes it is hard work, tiring, expensive and interferes with family life. BUT is it worth it ...yes!!!

My confidence in the treatments I perform has doubled. And the stuff you don't learn about skincare in level 2 is all covered in depth at level 3.

I very nearly didn't opt for carrying on to this year but I changed my mind at the last minute and am so glad that I did. I find that what we are being taught this year is so much easier to follow because we now have the knowledge from last year. It is flying by! And worth every bit of extra effort.

Good luck, I know that it can be a difficult decision. But if you don't do it will you regret it? Possibly. If you DO do it, you will never regret it.:hug:

Hi ya

Thanks for the encouragement youve made my mind up, Im one of those who want it now and cant wait but I have no choice or the finances to do it quicker!! I have met loads of therapist in my situation with a couple of kids jobs etc so I know Im not alone but just need the confidence in me that I can do it all and all worth it as the main thing I love what I do and I even love waxing, which I thought id hate!!!

I want to sart as mobile but progress to my own salon so level 3 is a must i reckon but it will take time and effort which is ok on my part.

Hi hon!

My advice too is keep at it.. it will be so worth it in the end. Even if you don't end up providing level 3 treatments, the knowledge and experience is invaluable. I know it is a sad fact, you could be the best level 2 therapist in the world, but you do get a lot more respect from employers and just people generally if you have it. It really will go so quickly and you'll always be glad you did it in the end. I was at college full time doing 3 level 3's when I found I was pregnant with my daughter...who is now 11!! I stayed on as a single mum for an extra year and completed all 3. I'm so glad I did as I've now started applying to become a lecturer which I couldn't have done without level 3's. You never know what you might want to do in the future...so keep at it and keep on flying the flag for all the dedicated, professional and generally super-mum's in the industry! Good luck xxx:hug:

thanks hun

you have made my mind up to carry on, it makes sense to keep going and who knows where it will take me!

Latest posts

Back