If it isn't broken..................

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adelekeegan1

Chatty geek
Reaction score
.................why fix it ?

I was thinking today (whilst doing a client's prep) that I still carry out all procedures as I was taught by my CND trainer. I do it all to the letter and have never deviated at all.

From many posts I read on here I notice that many people seem to do in things in so many different ways and some seem to take 'short cuts' (I am not talking about different methods for different systems)

Admittedly, to start with, I had to read up on my course notes to remind myself of things but of course eventually it all comes as second nature.

This all came about as my client was new and intrigued with everything I used and did and asked endless questions (which I was able to fully answer)

How many of you carry out your services just as you were taught ?

Hi Adele,
Great thread!!
I do everything as i was taught to by my CND educator.. I did a conversion with CND so was originally taught a different way. I have found that the CND way is much easier and comes second nature now:)

Almost 5 years on I do the complete procedure as taught....... I reckon it's cos I was a complete nail virgin when I did my CND Foundation it never occurred to me that there could be any other way!!! Now it's so ingrained on my brain that I don't think I could work any other way (hence why I blend well-less tips :o)......

I believe short cuts lead to long-term problems, although I like to think I am open-minded to smarter ways of working!

Well I am still only training so I cant really answer! But I cant imagine doing it any other way really. Like you said, if it works everytime, why bother or trying to changing it? I certainly wouldnt want to take short cuts...even though I really need to get my timings down!! But I am just hoping that comes with time!xx

I was taught just to push the cuticles, 'remove the shine' and then vipe out. No cuticle eraser or remover, no one taught me what grit would do what to the nail, and in which direction I should or shouldn't go and why.

I've never had lifting issues, but mostly due to the fact that (now that I think of it) I was etching the nail and making 'hills and walleys', and damaging natural nail :eek:. Even though there were no red rings, but still.... :eek:

But not until I came here, heard what people say, read prep tutorials, especially that CND video, that I really became aware and conscious what I was doing and what is prep all about. And it was really :Scared: moment when I realised that my prep is all wrong.

I don't use CND products, but can say that I follow p.r.e.p. routine with matching products of the systems I use, and both me and my clients natural nails feel much healthier.

I do exactly as I was taught... Like you said, if it ain't broke, why fix it! :)

I think it's very difficult, once a prep routine has been ingrained in you, to change and readily accept anything else. It just feels wrong and it bothers you.

I suspect I fell slightly foul recently of a college tutor over the extent to which she was instructing newbies to nails to remove the shine. My nails were being stripped of a layer, they hurt and I couldn't help but urge the girl practising on me to stop. I know, from the assessor's tone, that it didn't go down well and I'm not her favourite 'Pupil,' but my disquiet was instinctive. I wasn't objecting to be 'Clever,' but because I'd always been taught it was 'Wrong.' It can't be 'Right' if it hurts!! :irked:

I think it's very difficult, once a prep routine has been ingrained in you, to change and readily accept anything else. It just feels wrong and it bothers you.

I suspect I fell slightly foul recently of a college tutor over the extent to which she was instructing newbies to nails to remove the shine. My nails were being stripped of a layer, they hurt and I couldn't help but urge the girl practising on me to stop. I know, from the assessor's tone, that it didn't go down well and I'm not her favourite 'Pupil,' but my disquiet was instinctive. I wasn't objecting to be 'Clever,' but because I'd always been taught it was 'Wrong.' It can't be 'Right' if it hurts!! :irked:

I think that it is awful that your tutor has taken this stance - you are right, if it hurts it is wrong !!!

I don't, i found my own ways. Over here you don't go to collage. Either you book a 1-2 Day Class and practice afterwards or you don't. Everyone can open a salon without training. Whats really sad but well...
I booked a lot of classes and every training teach something different.So i guess I took the best out of each and made the best out of it i could

Almost 5 years on I do the complete procedure as taught....... I reckon it's cos I was a complete nail virgin when I did my CND Foundation it never occurred to me that there could be any other way!!! Now it's so ingrained on my brain that I don't think I could work any other way (hence why I blend well-less tips :o)......

I believe short cuts lead to long-term problems, although I like to think I am open-minded to smarter ways of working!

Exactly the same story, nail virgin with CND training (they brain wash us you know :lol:)
and i blend well less tips still too :lol:

for the most part i do things as i was trained. i orignally trained with cd but ive done courses with nsi and young nails since then. i think doing it "by the book" is more a jumping off point and i find it works best for me if i tailor my services to each individual client. theres a difference between adapting and cutting corners!
Posted via Mobile Device

Well I ceirtanlly don't use the way I was taught at collage :rolleyes: but I do use the method I was taught with the system I'm curretnly using.
:hug:

I have added to my prep b/c I've learned some important steps from this site that were missing in my training.

I've come to use a blend of NSI and CND products for my prep, depending on the client, but I'd never cut corners and my 2 CND products that I swear by are my cuticle remover and my scrub fresh.
How I work is still 100% CND. Its not broken, so I'm not going to fix it:lol:

Latest posts

Back