if you couldnt get your stock from your supplier would you??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotus blossom

Reaction score
if you couldnt get your stock from your supplier, would you consider buying from overseas??or suchlike?
just interested to see what people thought?
if you were in this situation, would you

be patient?
order from elsewhere?
order from overseas?
order from a non reputable place?
change brands?
if you changed brands , did you stay with them or revert?
eek out your stock and be careful until the stock comes in?

have any of you been in this situation and what did you do?

the way i see it is like this....

as some of you know from my journal Robs been on short work now for ages...he isn't earning even half what he normally earns...no fault of his own...but he isn't able to work, and so isn't able to earn his living.....its unrealistic for him to wait as in that time you accrue debts and so he is getting a new job.

same thing....if you are not able to work and earn your living due to suppliers then i don't see what choice you have...if you have done everything you can by ordering sensibly and still there is no stock then you would have to either get it from elsewhere...(safely) or change brand...even if its temporally.

I understand that suppliers can run into problems....sometimes these things cant be helped and i am sure its no fun for them either, but you have to have stock to earn money...no stock...no clients...no money...end of business.

i think if i was desperate for stock and the supplier/distributor didnt have any in stock then i think i would have to order from elsewhere, but that would only be if the need was too great to wait................as angie said, no stock, no clients, no business - so you lose

OK honest answers coming up ........:green:

be patient? Nope, how can you be patient if you have no stock left ?
I'm a worrier anyway so no im afraid I couldn't be patient.
order from elsewhere? If it was all above board yes
order from overseas? I don't think I would no.
order from a non reputable place? Nope, I could easily be buying fake products, so then would be out of pocket and products...Im not giving my hard earned dosh to someone I cant trust
change brands? Yes probably I would If they didn't have stock problems
if you changed brands , did you stay with them or revert? This would depend on the current suppliers situation.
eek out your stock and be careful until the stock comes in? I would try to do this , but as a newbie to the business side of things I have to say Im not earning enough to stock up well, and I dont know how many clients I will be getting, I haven't had experience first hand really of high and low periods etc...

if you couldnt get your stock from your supplier, would you consider buying from overseas??or suchlike?
just interested to see what people thought?
if you were in this situation, would you

be patient?Nope if I needed stock I would lose business by waiting
order from elsewhere?Yes I would order from someone who had the stock I need
order from overseas?No would never do this
order from a non reputable place?Nope dont touch these places
change brands?If every place was out of what I needed then I would have to again need stock to survive
if you changed brands , did you stay with them or revert?If I could go back later and get stock then I would change back again
eek out your stock and be careful until the stock comes in?I couldnt make the stock last longer than I normally do

have any of you been in this situation and what did you do?

I agree with what others have said if we have no stock we have no business and no money, No business can survive without stock.

This is the prob with being loyal to ONE supplyer... I have 4 different suppliers USA based which I order from, I have never once ordered from the parent company here as they are HUGELY expensive compared to buying direct from the US.... and no I am not bringing in 'inferior products' I play the exchange rates off each other, I bargan with each suppler, then go back to the other(s) and see if they can better the deal ... and get the best deal for Me ... this is the prob we have in this country with one suppler for the whole brand, they can pretty much get away with what ever they wish to charge for the product, which in our case is 500% mark up on what I pay for the same product Express delivered to my door from the USA.

This is the prob with being loyal to ONE supplyer... I have 4 different suppliers USA based which I order from, I have never once ordered from the parent company here as they are HUGELY expensive compared to buying direct from the US.... and no I am not bringing in 'inferior products' I play the exchange rates off each other, I bargan with each suppler, then go back to the other(s) and see if they can better the deal ... and get the best deal for Me ... this is the prob we have in this country with one suppler for the whole brand, they can pretty much get away with what ever they wish to charge for the product, which in our case is 500% mark up on what I pay for the same product Express delivered to my door from the USA.

And do you realise that those 4 different companies in the States are breaking their legal contract with CND USA by suppling you?

I would obviously try and order enough stock so that any problems came to light well in advance. I would order it from where it was available. I would try my regular supplier first and if the stock wasn't forthcoming at a reasonable date I would source it from elsewhere, ideally in the UK and ideally reputable. If that wasn't possible, my next source would perhaps be the not so reputable and if the worst came to the worst I would change brands.

If I changed brands because the stock supply wasn't reliable I probably wouldn't revert back to the original unreliable source. I want a supplier I can depend on and who can meet the demands of business. I want to be confident that the products and services I promote to my clients will be available when required.

Although I prefer to promote and work with one brand for certain services, I suppose I could be putting my eggs in one basket. Food for thought.

Great thread!

I would obviously try and order enough stock so that any problems came to light well in advance. I would order it from where it was available. I would try my regular supplier first and if the stock wasn't forthcoming at a reasonable date I would source it from elsewhere, ideally in the UK and ideally reputable. If that wasn't possible, my next source would perhaps be the not so reputable and if the worst came to the worst I would change brands.

If I changed brands because the stock supply wasn't reliable I probably wouldn't revert back to the original unreliable source. I want a supplier I can depend on and who can meet the demands of business. I want to be confident that the products and services I promote to my clients will be available when required.

Although I prefer to promote and work with one brand for certain services, I suppose I could be putting my eggs in one basket. Food for thought.

Great thread!
Exactly what I think and so well put !!

be patient? That depends on 'how patient' I have to be and what it is. Are we talking 1 or 2 weeks? Or a month or more? When I want something, I don't want to wait longer than 2wks. Most of the time, I need it "now".
order from elsewhere? I currently order from 4 different places. It saves me money. Nail art stuff from one. Uv Gel from another. Files & foot rasps from another. Ane the rest from Nailite.
order from overseas? The final cost would have to justify ordering from overseas if I'm saving money OR it would have to be something I can't find anywhere else.
order from a non reputable place? NO!
change brands? I have changed brands, and aside from the quality of the product, it was also due to problems with original supplier.
if you changed brands , did you stay with them or revert? Stayed
eek out your stock and be careful until the stock comes in? This has happened before due to shipping delays...

What situation? I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to?

I also dont stay loyal to 1 brand. Thats just how I work within my business. If I cant source my product - I will go to my wholesalers and get the next best thing. It will do till I get my product, but almost always the product is inferior to what I use already.

I get my files, wipes, blocks base top coats, glues and nail art items from wholesalers.

My product brands and tips and prep items from the companies themselves because I dont like to buy brands available to general public (sorry public if your reading).

I panic if I run out of nail wipes or files so if run out of my main items I will cry. I try to reorder when I am 3/4 gone of particular item, it stops you panicking.

what a great thread, seing as im still training, and currently using the products that came in my kit, with occasional top ups from sallys /millenium etc, seeing as i cant buy from creative /OPI/NSI etc til ive completed my training, its not something ive struggle with yet!! until this week, i cannot get solar oil anywhere, so i must admit it has crossed my mind to try an alternative, but dont know what, so i guess ill just have to wait, good job my client is only my grandma lol

this is great food for thought hun, xxxxx

I would use another brand if I ran out completely.

I have trained with three different brands and am happy to use any three of them to be honest.

One (actually the cheapest) I get on with very well and they have been brilliant when it comes to stock - never had a problem getting. My main brand I used to use all the time was not reliable and when going to the shop to get the products 9 times out of 10 they didn't have what I wanted, were shut with no warning, and they are not exactly close by to me either!

I think, especially when you are starting out, you really need to be able to get hold of what you want, when you want it. I certainly couldn't afford to buy "bulk", and if the supplier not once but lots of times lets you down, this ends up being a big consideration in changing brands.

If the stock problems were ongoing then I would change to another brand, at the end of the day a tempoary stock problem is absolutley fine BUT if its long term then its not worth sticking with the supplier and getting grief from your clients because you can't supply their products.

I have actually GAINED a client from another salon due to their stock problems, the client came to me to see if i had a product in stock and ended up having treatments with me instead !

I wouldn't have a problem with ordering overseas but feel that if it isn't available from the official supplier I just can't be bothered with them.

And do you realise that those 4 different companies in the States are breaking their legal contract with CND USA by suppling you?

Just out of curiosity why are they breaking their legal contract with CND USA? Is it because they are selling products to people in countries where the product prices are grossly inflated compared to the US? Just wondering.

I always make sure where possible to buy my products in bulk, to try and stop myself getting to the point of having to go elsewhere to get my products.

I have in the past bought from a different source when i couldn't afford to buy more than one pot of what ever i needed, and then found them to be out of stock. Have to say though, i have never had a problem with who i use with supplies or otherwise, so now i never need to go to a less reputable supplier.

When you are in this business, or any business come to that, i think we just have to make sure we always have a spare pot of what ever we use, then we are never in the situation of completely running out. This can be difficult sometimes, but then if you have good suppliers, plan ahead and be especially careful with business money, you shouldn't have to worry. In an ideal world anyway.:)

Just out of curiosity why are they breaking their legal contract with CND USA? Is it because they are selling products to people in countries where the product prices are grossly inflated compared to the US? Just wondering.

And you know what about the prices in NZ?

From what I understand every company in the US signs a contract stating that they will sell only to people who don't have a legitimate distributor. NZ has a legit distributor and so those people sending product into NZ are breaking that contract.
If I can afford to buy the products the legal way in NZ on one income supporting a family of 4 with a mortgage, then why can't others? People seem to forget that when importing the legal way there are all sorts of import taxes, legal fees, hazardous goods taxes, shipping costs, we also have this wonderful thing called GST (goods and services tax), there is also the conversion rate etc etc. The conversion rate at the mo is $20 US is $25.72 NZ.
And no I don't work for Creative NZ, I just buy their products legally.
Oh and I have purchased from the States before, was very interesting I tell ya. Brought some polishes, not a brand available down here, about US$20 worth and it was shipped to me all legal like and ended up costing nearly NZ$120. Would you please explain to me the $100 difference?

Last edited:
I always make sure where possible to buy my products in bulk, to try and stop myself getting to the point of having to go elsewhere to get my products.

I have in the past bought from a different source when i couldn't afford to buy more than one pot of what ever i needed, and then found them to be out of stock. Have to say though, i have never had a problem with who i use with supplies or otherwise, so now i never need to go to a less reputable supplier.

When you are in this business, or any business come to that, i think we just have to make sure we always have a spare pot of what ever we use, then we are never in the situation of completely running out. This can be difficult sometimes, but then if you have good suppliers, plan ahead and be especially careful with business money, you shouldn't have to worry. In an ideal world anyway.:)
Always the larger sizes for me...its false economy ,well i feel it is to buy smaller sizes, i would panic,and when something gets half way down,its time t o get on the phone again to re order..LOL

"Would you please explain to me the $100 diffrence?" Simple... Civillian Purchase... I bring in thru my company, I pay all the correct fees and it STILL works out at half the price as CNDNZ the 4 supplyers I have in the states are CND wholesalers... now if they were breaking some code of practice then I imagine they would say oh sorry no we cannot send to you we might upset CNDNZ and might get our selfs into some trouble... no.. I order from CNDUSA as well (Yep the big mamma parent company) they dont have a problem with it..... AFAIAC if I can bring in the authentic thing at dramatically lower prices that my friend is GOOD business practices. just because you can manage to afford to pay NZ prices doesnt mean you should HAVE to pay such inflated prices.

Latest posts

Back