If you knew then what you know now...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzyBee12

Reaction score
If there's any advice you could give to a new nail tech what would it be?

I'm just starting out from home offering shellac (when I get the guts to go live). But if there was a piece of advice you could give or a tip or trick you have learnt along the way, what would it be? What product would you make sure you had before you started (e.g. A particular additive or glitter, etc).

Just generally curious and thought it would help people. There's loads I want to buy but I keep telling myself to wait until I get started!

My tip would be to give no discounts - value your work from the beginning. Hope it goes well for you.

My most recent realisation is don't become 'friends' with your clients and then think to give them discount... They're often the hardest people to accommodate and expect you to bend over backwards way more than loyal, long term clients who are just as deserving, if not more so!

I now stick to loyalty cards only!

Also, watch Fingernail Fixers removing the real cuticle video, it's amazing!

My tip would be to give no discounts - value your work from the beginning. Hope it goes well for you.

Yep that's good advice! Do not undercharge/undervalue yourself due to lack of confidence, you're the professional and people will pay for beautiful nails. If you start your prices off too low, it's not easy to increase prices in the future when your confidence has increased and you then realise you're undercharging for your services.

Another tip is to not get too caught up in what your competition is doing. Of course you should keep an eye on the competition, however try not to be too obsessed with undercutting their prices/ offering exactly what they do- find your niche and what you're great at and you'll get clients and keep them :).

Good luck! X

This has been helpful as I was thinking of starting low price wise as I don't feel as good as some people on here and don't feel worth it. And I've noticed someone locally doing shellac too so I've started thinking I won't be as good, I can't advertise myself yet.

As you said, wait until you get started before buying too much.
I wanted 'everything' straight away, thinking I would absolutely need it. I now have a lot of things I just don't use.

Price your nail art by the time it takes. No matter how little it costs you in product x

As you said, wait until you get started before buying too much.
I wanted 'everything' straight away, thinking I would absolutely need it. I now have a lot of things I just don't use.

This is definitely me! I bought Brisa lite smoothing gel and haven't used it yet. Just seen it may be discontinued so now I don't know if I can have it as a treatment!

This is definitely me! I bought Brisa lite smoothing gel and haven't used it yet. Just seen it may be discontinued so now I don't know if I can have it as a treatment!
I don't think Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel is being discontinued - just the sculpting gel. As at as I'm aware at the moment anyway!
I completely agree with all the advise above. Another little piece of advise would be keep up with your training. It gives you more confidence and keeps you up to date with skills and knowledge. New things come out and techniques change and if you keep in touch with your trainer and do training once/twice a year you'll be kept in the loop. I've been in the industry 12+ years and try to do a few training courses each year. X

I don't think Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel is being discontinued - just the sculpting gel. As at as I'm aware at the moment anyway!
I completely agree with all the advise above. Another little piece of advise would be keep up with your training. It gives you more confidence and keeps you up to date with skills and knowledge. New things come out and techniques change and if you keep in touch with your trainer and do training once/twice a year you'll be kept in the loop. I've been in the industry 12+ years and try to do a few training courses each year. X
I correct myself. I think all Brisa Lite is being discontinued as the base coat is definitely being discontinued. Sorry if I added confusion! X

This is what I read but I've a whole unopened base coat, gel and top coat! Not sure if I can offer it as a treatment now without looking 'out of date'

Some people keep telling me I should have opening offer price whilst I build clients, others tell me not to! Not sure which to do!

Some people keep telling me I should have opening offer price whilst I build clients, others tell me not to! Not sure which to do!
You could market it as an opening offer for stated limited period only. And make sure clients are aware what your price will be once the limited period has finished & you must stick to it. Good luck.
You're the pro be confident in your knowledge and relax, most clients will be lovely.

I started a year ago and made the decision not to have a starting offer. The reason behind this was seeing another local lady offering Shellac manicures for half the money I was asking and realising it didn't engender any more loyalty. In fact, as soon as she upped her prices, her clients upped and came to me or other local techs.

I charge £20 for a shellac manicure and 50p per nail for nail art but my clients all comment that my work is extremely neat and they don't mind paying for that. If you're giving a quality service with quality products, ensure you charge accordingly.

Offer say £5 discount when they recommend someone new ... But only pay out after the recommended person has been, not just on the booking.

Do not do low prices or opening offers, and always always charge for repairs. I cannot emphasize this enough.

I stupidly gave family reduced rates...
Family meaning, close family, extended family, my brother in laws family, my life long friends... [emoji58]

I stupidly gave family reduced rates...
Family meaning, close family, extended family, my brother in laws family, my life long friends... [emoji58]
As did I and had to explain that I could no longer do it from this month onwards.
I found that that discounts and freebies went from 4/5 weekly appointments to 2 and they didn't take care as they knew I'd be on hand to fix any repairs.
Once I got busier I couldn't afford to turn away a full paying client for a discounted/free appointment and some family and friends said "that's ok, I don't mind waiting until you finish at 9pm". I'm afraid after working a 12 hour day.....I do mind!
I found my close family and real friends insist on paying something.

Latest posts

Back