Ikea glass tabletop shattered

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkyboots33

Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys, like myself use the glass tabletops frm ikea so thought id update you on what happened this am. I was in my room with my wee one when the glass top completely shattered into a million pieces. There was no misuse, the only items on the table were my lamp, three pump bottles and a hand lotion. Its 1.5yrs old and although nobody was touching the table at the time it actually shattered around my bare footed daughter - luckily we werent hurt but im still feelinh sick with the thought of what could have happened.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1391955617015.jpg
    1391955617015.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 602

Attachments

• 1391955647831.jpg
    1391955647831.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 640
  • 1391955661168.jpg
    1391955661168.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 631
  • 1391955679992.jpg
    1391955679992.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 596
  • 1391955722011.jpg
    1391955722011.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 588
  • 1391955739556.jpg
    1391955739556.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 583
  • 1391955754470.jpg
    1391955754470.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 575
  • 1391955777700.jpg
    1391955777700.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 549
I had the same thing happen with a glass table mat, it was on my dining room table and my pump bottle of acetone was on the table but not on the mat being used to take off my own nail polish, the mat just shattered into hundred of tint bits, very odd! i'm glad you and your little one weren't hurt x

Oh no! I'm glad that you and your daughter are okay, that is so scary!

I'd b on he phone to ikea!! Xxx

O my goodness!!! Glad you two are ok, thank god you were not doing a treatment at the time!!!!! 😧 xx

I think I have that table :/

Glad you are all ok - how bizarre!

Unfortunately toughened plate glass, though very hard to actually break, nearly always shatters like this when it does - very sharp, very scary.

There may have been a fault in, or tiny bit of damage to the glass, that would set up stresses in the glass and cause it to just go ping.

Glad you're OK!

I expect if you complain to Ikea they'll give you a new table top - even if you've had it a while - if you're not too worried to use it.

Thanks for posting this. I also have that table so it's good to be aware that this can happen.

You could of banged it ages ago and it's only shattered now.

Did you ever drop anything on it? My mum hit her shower screen accidentally and it was months later when the thing shattered in the middle of the night. Imagine if one of them had been in it!

Thank goodness one of your kiddies didn't get hurt.

Can I ask, did you have it on 4 legs or on two legs + resting on a unit?

I have a glass top table from IKEA tho not the same as OP, I'm just wondering if putting a protective film sandwich is now a fab idea.. I think I'm going to price some up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

No, defo wont be using another glass top. Wasn't any visual damage but just thought id warn you all.

It was two legs and the unit.

There was a big story on the news about glass tables doing this. Something to do with a chemical used to make the glass would start to deteriate over time resulting in the glass shattering like this

Glass Table tops that are only supported by legs need to be toughened by regulation and a minimum of 10mm thick. This toughening process enables the glass to become a safe, secure product, but by its very nature, any glass can break, crack or explode. Toughened glass will break into tiny little balls which will not cause much damage should they come into contact with skin unlike normal float glass which will break in shards and can cause multiple deep wounds to the skin. You can buy safety filming which you can stick on the underside of your table top, so if it does break the film will hold it all together.

Glass Table tops that are only supported by legs need to be toughened by regulation and a minimum of 10mm thick. This toughening process enables the glass to become a safe, secure product, but by its very nature, any glass can break, crack or explode. Toughened glass will break into tiny little balls which will not cause much damage should they come into contact with skin unlike normal float glass which will break in shards and can cause multiple deep wounds to the skin. You can buy safety filming which you can stick on the underside of your table top, so if it does break the film will hold it all together.

Any idea where I could buy this film that you mention, Deeders?

Any idea where I could buy this film that you mention, Deeders?

I work for a Glass company and we sell it, so maybe try a local one to you or we also sell it direct to some glazing companies, so you could so try them in your area. Which area are you in (we might have a branch near you)

I work for a Glass company and we sell it, so maybe try a local one to you or we also sell it direct to some glazing companies, so you could so try them in your area. Which area are you in (we might have a branch near you)

Oh, in that case I know who could get this for me. My OH friend works in glass, he is meant to be making me a glass table top. Thanks for the info!

I have this glass top ...... I've just given mine a clean and a good look over, I'm glad your both ok it must have been a shock x I would deffinatly

Latest posts

Back