Ikon.iq and return to industry after long break

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mama June

Reaction score
Hello Ladies,

I am a qualified beauty therapist but have been out of the industry for several years. (Bad experiences with greedy bosses).

I am now ready to return to the industry after finally feeling confident in working for myself.
I am getting my garage converted into a salon with its own toilet and am going to concentrate on nails and waxing initially.

I have done a tonne of research and have alternated between a few companies, Gelish, the gel bottle but think ikon.iq looks the best bet for me. I am concerned about safety primarily and am impressed with what I have read and the companies ethos.

I have £1000 pounds to invest in gel polish training and products and intend to do 3 months practicing on friends and family (free of charge) before going live and making a real go of things.

I am really interested in any advice you can offer me for returning to the industry and any experiences of the brand first hand would be really of benefit to me.

Thanking you in advance!

I don't have any brand information as I dont use any of these I use another brand called gellifique and havnt had any complaints plus they are really affordable for starting out as I have not long myself
for me social media kicked everything off and then word of mouth but you have to take social media on as a second job am on it hours and it can get annoying... personally I done about 3 family members then jumped in feet first as long as you apply basic colours neatly everything else will come later
More mature ladys seem to love the fact I am a perfectionist at my prep even if that means I take an hour and a half doing just a gel polish but they have brought me the most loyal bussiness because they love the time I take were as my young tend to want to be in and out
Make sure you apply your gel perfect around cuticle and side walls I stated out with a tiny brush to help with that then I just pick it up
And lastly at least charge a small fee because you dont realise how much stuff you use practising even if it is 5 per person
Good luck xxx

Thank you Rebecca, yes that's great advice, my favourite customers were always my older ladies as I found the younger ones to be very flighty and in an ideal world my ideal customers would be older loyal ladies.
I have just joined Facebook tonight reluctantly as I really do dislike social media but I know it's going to be crucial to developing my business.
Thanks again, I will think about charging a little if only to put it towards more colours.

Learn how to take good quality photos for your social media. Super important. Nothing worse than bad photos letting down your good work. This video has great tips.

Also I use photosho-express to edit. You can download it free on your phone. When I say edit, I strictly only use it to remove shadows and increase the backround light if my picture came out darker than i realised. I also use it to tag my business name in the photo. Just don’t go editing your actual work, it needs to be realistic of your skill level. Good luck

Thank you, I will use this advise, i have got my course dates now x

Hello Ladies,

I am a qualified beauty therapist but have been out of the industry for several years. (Bad experiences with greedy bosses).

I am now ready to return to the industry after finally feeling confident in working for myself.
I am getting my garage converted into a salon with its own toilet and am going to concentrate on nails and waxing initially.

I have done a tonne of research and have alternated between a few companies, Gelish, the gel bottle but think ikon.iq looks the best bet for me. I am concerned about safety primarily and am impressed with what I have read and the companies ethos.

I have £1000 pounds to invest in gel polish training and products and intend to do 3 months practicing on friends and family (free of charge) before going live and making a real go of things.

I am really interested in any advice you can offer me for returning to the industry and any experiences of the brand first hand would be really of benefit to me.

Thanking you in advance!
In regards of safety, Ikoniq is a very wise choice. Their products are HEMA free, hypoallergenic and they include their own lamp with a larger purchase. I’ve started working with their products recently and find them completely fantastic. The quality is by far better than the brand I trained in, both builder (hard gel) and gel polish.

I agree that it’s good to take a small fee for your services, people tend to be a bit more careful when it’s not for free.

Good luck and well done for making this for yourself! :D

Latest posts

Back