IKON.IQ or Magpie!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaby

Reaction score
Hi all,
After weeks of researching nail gels and acrylics i have narrowed my choices down to two. IKON.IQ and Magpie.
I'm looking for vegan, cruelty free and HEMA free and these two brands tick the boxes!
My questions is has anyone used both and have any preference, pros and cons etc?
I could try both but that will get costly as i do need the lamps to go with.
Thanks in advance,
Leaby

Hi Leaby,

To make a short test, you don't need to buy a UV lamp. There are two issues to consider with lamps:

a) over curing - i.e. excessive heat during curing because the lamp is too bright for the product, and
b) under curing - so the product is not correctly cured.

The risk of under curing can be minimised by simply doubling the minimum recommended cure time. Once the product is cure i.e. the chemical reaction is done, throwing additional UV light at it won't have any effect. So increasing the curing time is never wrong.

If the product / lamp combo over cures, you will know this. For test purposes simply either use a low power setting if your lamp has this, or flash cure for 10 to 15 seconds, before curing for the recommended time in the lamp.

Obviously when you chose a product and use iton customers, I totally recommend using the brands lamp.

BTW, HEMA-free and hypoallergenic are different. Hypoallergenic means the product contains no known and proven allergens.

If you join our Facebook group, you will see that our Educators are starting to announce more See & Try events across the UK for 2020. This is a nice and easy way, without obligation, to see the correct application techniques for all products, ask questions, test the products and get more of a personal feel about the company, understand our back story and get an impression of the Educator for your region.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ikoniqnails/

At the end, it is a personal choice and we appreciate that you are doing serious research and we are on your list :). If you have any questions, you are always welcome to contact me directly.

Thats
Hi Leaby,

To make a short test, you don't need to buy a UV lamp. There are two issues to consider with lamps:

a) over curing - i.e. excessive heat during curing because the lamp is too bright for the product, and
b) under curing - so the product is not correctly cured.

The risk of under curing can be minimised by simply doubling the minimum recommended cure time. Once the product is cure i.e. the chemical reaction is done, throwing additional UV light at it won't have any effect. So increasing the curing time is never wrong.

If the product / lamp combo over cures, you will know this. For test purposes simply either use a low power setting if your lamp has this, or flash cure for 10 to 15 seconds, before curing for the recommended time in the lamp.

Obviously when you chose a product and use iton customers, I totally recommend using the brands lamp.

BTW, HEMA-free and hypoallergenic are different. Hypoallergenic means the product contains no known and proven allergens.

If you join our Facebook group, you will see that our Educators are starting to announce more See & Try events across the UK for 2020. This is a nice and easy way, without obligation, to see the correct application techniques for all products, ask questions, test the products and get more of a personal feel about the company, understand our back story and get an impression of the Educator for your region.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ikoniqnails/

At the end, it is a personal choice and we appreciate that you are doing serious research and we are on your list :). If you have any questions, you are always welcome to contact me directly.

Great response thank you Bob. ☺️
Knowing what i now know about the lamp i will go ahead and order the IKON.IQ trial kit.
I have researched for weeks and you are top 2 from many brands. I love that the products are vegan and hypoallergenic, and HEMA free (i also didn't know they were 2 different things)
Can i ask how long is the free lamp offer running for please?
Thanks, Leaby

I use magpie glitters but use IKON-IQ gels and polytek

I was leaning towards that option. Do you do acrylics also? If so, which products do you use for those please?

I dont do acrylics sorry

Latest posts

Back