I'm a foil failure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emma9383

Reaction score
I've tried and tried and every time I get in a strop, screw it up and bin it.

I really want to do pretty foil nails. I just can't get it to stick on the bloomin nail.

What am I doing wrong. I use gel, so wipe the tacky off and try to push the back of the foil on, if that makes sense. I get nothing on or a pathetic tiny bit and that's it.

Please help geeks, one frustrated tech here!

What am I doing wrong. I use gel, so wipe the tacky off and try to push the back of the foil on, if that makes sense. I get nothing on or a pathetic tiny bit and that's it.

Maybe I read this wrong but are you wiping the tacky off the nail before trying to stick the foil on? The foil needs something tacky so it comes off the plastic sheet and onto the nail. Also, cheaper quality foils tend to not work well because they need a stronger adhesive to pull them off the plastic. That's where foil adhesives come in. But usually a good piece of foil only needs the tacky layer of the gel for it to come off.

I too have always really struggled with foils until I bought some from S2. Previously no matter what I did I couldn't get them to work and I watched so many YouTube vids but was just useless. I'd pretty much decided that I'd never get any where with and wouldn't bother buying any more until I saw one on S2 which I couldn't resist and it worked perfectly first attempt! So I wonder with me if it was the quality of the foils I was using which was the problem. I'd previously bought them from either eBay or an online nail art store (can't remember the name) - where are yours from?

Hmmm, I tried with and without with no joy on either. Could I ask where you get your foil from so I know it's then not the foil and it's def me just being feckless! X x

I too have always really struggled with foils until I bought some from S2. Previously no matter what I did I couldn't get them to work and I watched so many YouTube vids but was just useless. I'd pretty much decided that I'd never get any where with and wouldn't bother buying any more until I saw one on S2 which I couldn't resist and it worked perfectly first attempt! So I wonder with me if it was the quality of the foils I was using which was the problem. I'd previously bought them from either eBay or an online nail art store (can't remember the name) - where are yours from?

Ahhhh, yeah, I be had some from ebay and some from a couple of nail stores like sparkly nails etc. I shall get some from s2. I really hope I'm like you and end up a success story because they can look SO nice x x

Yes! It was Sparkly Nails I bought some from too. Here's a pic of the one which worked from S2 :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 761
See, they look stunning when you know what you're doing.

* slopes off to spend a fortune in foils on s2 * :D

See, they look stunning when you know what you're doing.

* slopes off to spend a fortune in foils on s2 * :D

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1409858603.724974.jpg

Hi I got these from Ebay. Silver Starburst Foils. I put 2 layers of cnd silver chrome, then cured, then pressed the foils into the tacky layer😊 x

Can't honestly say I really knew what I was doing lol I think it was just better quality foils :)

View attachment 74293

Hi I got these from Ebay. Silver Starburst Foils. I put 2 layers of cnd silver chrome, then cured, then pressed the foils into the tacky layer😊 x

Just to add. I watched a few videos first. Liverpool Lashes and The real Mrs Grey xx

As Chickafish asks, are you wiping the sticky layer off? - if so DON'T this is what the foil needs to stick to. I'm using very cheap and cheerful ebay foils, they work amazingly.

Karaxxx

I've bought a couple from the sweet shop a couple days ago, must be slightly older stock since it's still branded irresistible, I've only had a couple goes but I can't seem to get full coverage, I get a few flecks that come off onto the tacky layer... Has anyone got any tips they could give?
X

I get full coverage every time with ebay/online stores (cheap) foil by removing the tacky layer, painting on a thin layer of foil adhesive, curing for two minutes and then applying the foil. I'm sure I read this tip on here somewhere and it's the only way I have tried as it works brilliantly every time.

Fingernail Fixer has said that the darker Shellac colours are easier to get a good full coverage on foils when applying straight onto the tacky layer.

I get full coverage every time with ebay/online stores (cheap) foil by removing the tacky layer, painting on a thin layer of foil adhesive, curing for two minutes and then applying the foil. I'm sure I read this tip on here somewhere and it's the only way I have tried as it works brilliantly every time.

Fingernail Fixer has said that the darker Shellac colours are easier to get a good full coverage on foils when applying straight onto the tacky layer.

Thanks :) could you recommend what and where to get a decent foil adhesive?

I had this problem, I use OPI gelcolor and foils just don't stick to it. Ever. The tacky layer is no good for foils so I just wipe and use foil adhesive, now I'm in love with foils. The edge do a great foil adhesive. Don't give up :)

Thanks :) could you recommend what and where to get a decent foil adhesive?

I didn't get decent foil adhesive as I wouldn't know what was! I bought foil and adhesive from ebay with the attitude of just giving it a go and seeing what happened.

You must paint the adhesive on with the same precision you would a coat of Shellac, as where the adhesive goes, the foil will follow.

Random question but has anyone tried stamping with foil adhesive then putting the foil on? If it works would be a really good way to get an intricate design in foil 😊

Random question but has anyone tried stamping with foil adhesive then putting the foil on? If it works would be a really good way to get an intricate design in foil 😊

I tried this this morning and it didn't work lol!

I find foils stick better to Shellac (before wiping the tacky layer) yet with other brands gel polish I have to wipe the tacky layer off and use the foil adhesive like Nicole

Why not stamp with shellac, cure, then add foil onto sticky layer? :)

Sent from my D6503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back