I'm anaemic, is this why my nails are tearing at the free edge?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nenee

Reaction score
Hi there Iv been diagnosed with aneamia, and my nails have been tearing at the free edge right past the hyponychium from the corners! I believe aneamia can cause brittle nails etc. would you class tearing at the corners of the free edge brittle or soft?? I believe brittle nails lack oil and shatter, so therefore if tearing is that soft nails which need a hardener? if brittle nails i would use oil on them as hardener would make them worse!

Any tips on how to diagnose the difference. And does aneamia cause any other contra-indications with beauty treatments as im currently doing beauty therapy and not too sure on the aneamia side of things just yet:eek:

Sounds like your nails are soft to me which would make sense. Brittle indicates hard and inflexible so they shatter.

YOur nails and hair always give a pretty good indication of your general health and you are obviously a bit depleted at the moment.

Follow your doctor's orders and you will regain your stamina and strength I'm sure. Eat well and eat real food in a good balance of protein and carbs, fruit and veg. and take a daily multi vit. It is all anyone has to do really .... trouble is most don't do it.

Keep your nails real short and tidy and they won't come under too much pressure. As you regain your strength so will they.

Hi Gigi
Thanks for your kind advice, I am on medication to restore my iron levels at the mo, and I have already done as you advised and cut my nails short and applied jessica critical care. I also was a bit muddled as to the difference between brittle or soft, but it makes sense now if they were brittle they would snap off instead of tear at the sides as soft!

Are your doctors looking into WHY you are anaemic. i was anaemic for years before a doctor sent me for a biopsy of my stomach. They discovered i have an allergy to Gluten, im a Coeliac.

That means no cake, no biscuits, no kit kat, no cream sponges, no trifle, no french bread :cry: But really its not such a big deal, im used to it now.

Hi ya
Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it. Im aneamic due to having a whopping size baby 9 months ago weighing just under 10 lbs and im only 5ft 3!!!:green: It took its toll and I havent been right since. I thought being tired, having palpitations and feeling dizzy and feeling low was all down to having a baby so it took me 9 months to see my doc:eek:

My own fault, they have tested my thyroid, I have lost nearly 3 stone, but Im not loosing anymore, and dont have stomach issues, so I gather Im ok in that department.:rolleyes:

Just got to slow down a bit, but Iv done the opposite and attend college two nights a week, with assignments to do, then theres work and looking after my little fella, but I just sound like many many women in society today we just multi task a lot cause we are the higher species and can he he:lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back