I'm declaring war on my local salons !!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailzoo

Reaction score
I'm quite busy, but in the last few months I have had about 10 regulars move interstate, it's thrown my whole diary out and I have gaps everywhere. I've even lost a few "cheap clients" to the cheaper salons.

I have bitten the bullet so to speak and am currently doing a full set special at the same price I do infills (plain infills), a full set takes me the same time.

I just don't want to sit on my butt and do nothing.

I'm also working on perfect application with no buffing, my acrylic is smooth enough, (just a final shaping) and a gel seal (faster than Popits).

I bought a new sign for the out the front of the salon (it's metal) and I have made laminated letters which I am going to attach magnetic tape to the back (so I can change the sign as I like).

One thing I am doing is making my specials by appointment only (paid in advance) and the day of the week I am offering specials will change as I see fit.

The specials do not apply on days that are not advertised and they don't apply without paying in advance.

My sign is for drive-by trade, so if they can drive by and see my special, they can call in and pay a their deposit (or it's a no deal).

The worst thing about doing a special is the fact some of those clients don't return (I don't care if i make a certain amount per hour).

Also many people who see a special and book in advance don't turn up (I don't care if they have to pay in advance).

I'm ready for some new personalities in the salon, I've been in the same area for over 20 years. It's time for some new recruits.

In that 20 years there have been another 4 salons open up, so I'm biting the bullet, matching their price on full sets and I'm gonna cut their throats with quality nails and bleed the area dry of potential clients, that in the past could not afford the start-up price with me.

Just to fill some spaces for the time being.

Good for you - Hope you get heaps of walk ins.....

Taking a deposit is a great idea, and changing your special days is even better - it makes people pay more attention to your shop front as they approach.

I was visiting Adelaide recently, and whilst on a shopping frenzy in a huge shopping centre - I sat for a coffee out the front of a NSS salon (dont need to name it), I could not beleive the amount of people of whom just walked in and were seated almost immediately. I also witnessed that not one of the techs washed their hands or even applied ANY form of sanitatation to their clients and then proceeded to use an E-File on the NN. (OMG I was horrified).

I did how ever have a chuckle when I seen a few ladies walk out sporting quite lengthy shovels on the ends of their fingers.

Nail Zoo, I have watched everyone of your video clips, and read loads of your Threads, you are one hell of a talented artist, and I would be proud to wear your nails (what ever the cost). I hope that soon business will pick up for you again, keep your chin up mate and even better keep your aussie spirit alive.:hug:

hi there,
this is what happened to me but, I've got a hairdressers, just building the business up, been there 4 years. bop some hairdressers open up down the road. why?. do they see how well your doing, and think oh right i think i'll set up shop here and have a little of whats she's got. I say no go sling your hook go poach in some other area, businesses are'nt easy to run and some clients will go elsewhere, and like you say the ones that take advantage of your offer, most of them won't come back, But! you might just get the odd client who loves what you do and have a loyal customers" yer little diehards" is what i call them. and there worth there money in gold. I do a great offer and have been doing it since they opened. and it seems to attract the odd client, That's why i've started the nails. early days yet. but it's another string for my bow.So one day i can sit doing nails which i love, and my daughter can cut hair until her hearts content. what a idylllic world we live in (NOT)..
Thg:lol:

Good for you Carl! If these NSSs are keeping you on your toes, imagine what they are doing to the rest of us LOL!

At the end of the day, we need to be quick off the mark to keep one step ahead.

Hope you fill those gaps soon xx

Sounds good, thank God you are not just up the road from me:green:

Hi I really feel for you, I'm not a nail technician but I know it must be so frustrating to be so highly skilled and committed to quality and then to watch as people file into the NSS just because it's cheap.

I don't understand why people do this, I don't have enhancements because I do reflexology but if I was having them done I would want the best available tech to do them for me.

Good on you for taking them on, and good luck with it all!

just to reitereate, most have moved interstate (Sydney can be very transient), but with having a few NSS around many potential "new" clients will choose them over me because they don't know any better.

Every now and then I just need to pull my finger out an get an influx of new clients.

Last edited:
Its a bugger when you lose your longstanding clients coz they have moved away. A few of mine have moved and it is suprising how big a gap they leave when they are gone.
I hope your specials pull em in Carl then you will be back to normal quickly and have some new blood to work your wonders on and wow with your talent. Hopefully when they see what you do and how good your work is they wont worry about the cost...:hug: to ya carl in the mean time to keep ya going!!!
Jen xx

Good to see that you are being pro- active about this sort of thing....... there are so many pepole that just dont know any better of these places like you say......then when you tell them a few stories they are horrified, and there are so many techs who just give up too easily without a fight.
you dont sound like much of a defeatest to me so i am sure if this doesnt work for you, which i am sure it will, then you wil come up with something else!!!
Good luck

Hi Nailzoo
Its Good To See That You Are Not Just Sitting Around It Good To Keep
The Nails Going Some Clients Went To Cheaper Salons Well I Will
Tell You Once They Find Out Thet Are Not As Good Has The Job You Do
They Will Be Begging You To Take Them Back They Will Say To You I Want
You To Make My Nails Beautiful Like You Alway Did
Good Luck

Hi Nailzoo
I think a lot of small business is feeing the pinch at the moment. I dont reckon you are on your own. People are being very careful with their coin what with the climbing interest rates and all.
For those clients that have moved interstate you will gain more. It is most important to try and attract new customers all the time not just when things go quiet. By then sometimes it is too late. You need to put a plan in place to grow your client base weekly. Have you thought of a referral reward system? ie if a client refers a friend who goes on to have a service with you, the original client is rewarded with a discount at their next service. This works believe me. My husband does this in his new business and in 6 months we have grown our customer base from 100 to almost 300.
I have watched some of your videos and I am in awe of your talent.
Chin up
Cheers
Karen

i want to see nailzoo's videos
:):):)

i want to see nailzoo's videos
:):):)
He has a link on his post to his website, go there and you will be able to watch them hun hth

Sounds like a great idea taking deposits, we should all take a leaf outta your book. If you were in the UK i'd pop in for a set.

Carl hunny....YOU GO GURRRRLLLL....(ok then Guy...but guuuurl sounds better lol)

Its inspiring to see a geek who's ready to seriously kick some ass !

Your comment about you working towards creating the WHOLE enhancment shape and smoothness with the brush is exactly what I have been focusing on lately...
My reason is to ease up my asthma...But its working...
And I can't remember the last time I got arm ache from doing a set of nails :lol:...

My attitude used to be " oh well just whack this acrylic on quickly, and can file it into shape at the end"
Now I take that extra time to sculpt with my brush..and smooth over...and minimal buffing is needed..

You can read something over and over...And It just doesnt sink it, then all of a sudden one day IT CLICKS !!!

Anyway...good on you mate.. ( I might rob the special offer only if booked in advance if you dont mind :hug: )
xxxx

Carl hunny....YOU GO GURRRRLLLL....(ok then Guy...but guuuurl sounds better lol)

Its inspiring to see a geek who's ready to seriously kick some ass !

Your comment about you working towards creating the WHOLE enhancment shape and smoothness with the brush is exactly what I have been focusing on lately...
My reason is to ease up my asthma...But its working...
And I can't remember the last time I got arm ache from doing a set of nails :lol:...

My attitude used to be " oh well just whack this acrylic on quickly, and can file it into shape at the end"
Now I take that extra time to sculpt with my brush..and smooth over...and minimal buffing is needed..

You can read something over and over...And It just doesnt sink it, then all of a sudden one day IT CLICKS !!!

Anyway...good on you mate.. ( I might rob the special offer only if booked in advance if you dont mind :hug: )
xxxx

I used to do that too!! WHACK it on and sort it later but after a little nail geek ass whooping I noticed I was doing it totally wrong!! "how embarrassing" i thought, but we all learn our lessons eh?

Stevie x

Could be that the customers that go to these new nss because of the lower price come back to you when they figure out that there is a big difference in quality.

I for example charge higher then moste other salons in my city. I have had some that go off to places that are cheaper, but moste come back since they rather like to pay a bit more and have nails that are durable, look good and moste of all keeping their natural nail in good shape.
In the beginning it was a bit slow starting up in this way and hanging on to those prices but now i am fully booked and have customers that are willing to pay.

...then again it maybe is different from country to country.

But what i want to say is that you are very skilled and are so entitled to charge for that and think that you should hold on to your prices.
I hope everything will pick up as soon as possible again for you.

Taking a deposit is definitely the way forward!!! Your work is fantastic and don't you forget it!!!
My motto is 'You only get what you pay for' I always choose quality, and I would rather pay double and have it done properly. I guarantee they will be back with their tails between their legs begging for a 'decent' set!!!
Good luck :wink2:

nailzoo dear,
you have such an exclusive webpage. i can't even get on to it. (have you sold out to microsoft by any chance?)
i love what you're doing with your business. and what karentriff said. the referral reward thing works a treat. i don't advertise at all - only work on referrals and i have more clients than i know what to do with.
i want to watch videos of your awesome talent. a lot. and i can't 'cos of some java thingy. sounds like coffee. think i'll have a cup.

Way to go carl hope its all successful (which im sure it will be hun) :) :) let us know how you go with your plan ;)

Latest posts

Back