I'm home!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
HowdA All...

Welcome to the new server for my site.
It is a dedicated server located in the UK (the old one was in Hong Kong and hosted over 350 web sites).
That means faster processing of the pages and faster downloading of content.

Whats with the silly 212.100.252.5 instead of www.samuelsweet.com?
That is just temporary until all the DNS servers update their information (this could take up to 48 hours) and then all will be back to normal.
In the meantime, you should be able to browse the site as normal... but instead of seeing www.samuelsweet.com in the address bar, you will see 212.100.252.5

Please inform me if you have any wacko problems.

nJoy our new home.

By the way...

Until the domain name gets transfered... if you click a link that takes you to the older site... just replace www.samuelsweet.com with 212.100.252.5
i.e. to get to the quizes... go to http://212.100.252.5/quiz instead of http://www.samuelsweet.com/quiz

Well... overnight it appears that the DNS and IP fairys were hard at work as the name www.samuelsweet.com and www.thenailgeek.com now point to our new home.
I am about to go through the code and revise it to get rid of the 212.100.252.5 references.
Fingers crossed this shouldnt cause a problem.

Doesnt seem to be the case :evil:
I will leave the IP Address coded into the links for right now until I am sure all the worlds DNS servers have the updated information.
This shouldnt cause any kind of problem for users... it will just casue a couple of small hicups until it is resolved.

Any thoughts on the move so far? Anyone notice much of a speed difference.

o... The quiz statistics are a few days old. I couldnt port the data over so If you took any of the quizes in the past two days... it wont know ;)

I also updated the Health and safety quiz to ask 10 questions as it was only asking 6. That means the high score can now be 1000.

I also updated the spell checker. It should be loads faster and better now.

Hi Geek
Thanks, the site is much faster loading messages now. It used to take me ages to read posts etc. The only problem I can see is I won't be able to make a cuppa in between messages loading now hmmmm :rolleyes: LOL!

Karen

Hi Sam,

yes it does seem much faster but it doesn't highlight new messages from last visit like it used to. Or maybe I was too slow clicking off and they were posted while I was still here LOL.

Wicked :D Sam,

thanks for giving us all this brilliant site :) :) :D

Definitely faster, therefore much better. It doesn`t highlight the new posts though, is this something you`ve done or is it just so fast it doesn`t have time for that :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back