I'm no longer a (sunbed) virgin!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordinaildesign

Reaction score
Yes, I have finally been on a sunbed! At nearly 25 years old I have had my first visit to the Tanning Shop!

A colleague of mine has just come back from a week in the sun looking absolutely GORGEOUS and it made me realise that I'm fed up of my rather feeble Bury tan and I too want to be a bronze beauty!

Just a little question, the lady was trying to persuade me a bottle of tanning lotion for about £30, I'd like to buy this if it makes as big a difference as she was telling me, but I thought I'd ask you guys first which brand you recommend and if I can get it from any beauty suppliers for less than they charge in the Tanning Shop?

Thanks guys!

Hi i like to go on sunbeds as you have a nice tan all year round.They do like to sell you their products however using a cream makes a difference,you get a better colour than what you do when not using creams i think anyway. I get my tanning cream for the beauty shows which start from £5 for austrialian gold products which i think are great.or go onto ebay you will get them cheaper there.:)

I live on my sunbed (naughty but nice) i use a cream but i get it from "just esantials" in Ipswich,, they have about 4 different types of the one i use from a hot one (which make you feel very warm and gives you a red glow for about hr after then you go brown) to mild one and they are about £1.95 each i sware by them.. I will post some to you if you want to try them.. :D

Well Im just a pastie looking girly and will stay that way. Had skin cancer (on my face of all places) 10 years ago and thanks to a brilliant surgeon its hardly noticable now. Makes me determined to stay out of the sun and off the sunbeds though. On holiday I wear total sunblock cream and coming back from holidays is really funny cos I am the only white person on the plane. I stand out like a white sheep amongst all the lovely brown/black sheeps.

I admit that inside I really LONG TO BE TANNED AND BROWN cos I look so much better if I am brown. Have thought of having a spray tan and to be honest, if I was thin then I would go and have one immediately, but the thought of standing there, all naked and with all my flabby bits hanging out all over the place makes me decide to remain WHITE.

What I need is a blind beautician who can give a good even spray tan, without having to actually look at my naked frame. Anybody know of a good one???

My cream is £11/12!

£30 Seems a bit steep to me!

oohh sorry to hear about that.... there is nothing wrong with being white.. my husband is lilly white infact we call him a bag a plain flour he is so white.. Its better that you look after yourself and not worrry about what other people think..:D
Cameo Val said:
Well Im just a pastie looking girly and will stay that way. Had skin cancer (on my face of all places) 10 years ago and thanks to a brilliant surgeon its hardly noticable now. Makes me determined to stay out of the sun and off the sunbeds though. On holiday I wear total sunblock cream and coming back from holidays is really funny cos I am the only white person on the plane. I stand out like a white sheep amongst all the lovely brown/black sheeps.

I admit that inside I really LONG TO BE TANNED AND BROWN cos I look so much better if I am brown. Have thought of having a spray tan and to be honest, if I was thin then I would go and have one immediately, but the thought of standing there, all naked and with all my flabby bits hanging out all over the place makes me decide to remain WHITE.

What I need is a blind beautician who can give a good even spray tan, without having to actually look at my naked frame. Anybody know of a good one???

I work in a tanning salon, and we use Australian Gold which is fab, especially the Iced Creme one!! You must use a cream when going on the beds, and it does make a difference!!

As for the spray tanning, beauticians don't care what you look like!! We have had all sorts, we've seen it all before! Just take the plunge and go for it!! You don't have to go fully naked, most people we spray wear an old bikini. :) xxxx

I go on the beds too. I love the lie down the best, my face gets tanned so quickly and when you get hot you just press a button and water sprays over your face. i have tried a sachet of the austalian gold and it seemed good, think you may have to use it regularly though. I try not to go very often though, im so scared of getting wrinkles and of course skin cancer! People that go too much look old and wrinkly and they dont even know it. Try not to get addicted!

Im with Zoe on this one. I like to use them before I go on holiday, nothing worse than being the whitest body on the beach! I use a tanning gel which costs about £5 and is fab..cant find it to tell you the name though. At the same time I get worried about the risks to my skin, especially when they show you those piccies in magasines and on tv, you know where the persons face is shown under a special light and you can see the damage!!!
Happy tanning

Sorry me again, just remembered something in relation to sunbeds. I used to work in a leisure centre many years ago and there was this one lady who came in twice a week without fail for a lay down sunbed. The only way I can describe her skin was like an old well used brown leather sofa! urgh!!!

Ok my profession opinion is this
the leather look is over-exposure and not investing in your skin, sun beds in moderation can provide you with a healthy tan as YOU control your exposure to UV unlike the sun which is uncontrolled amounts of UVA,B,C, gamma rays beta etc.etc. You also produce vit D, produce serotonin the feel good thing in chocolate! and have quiet time to yourself. (it can also help people with SAD)

everyone must invest in the cream Australian Gold is a great make, as is Californian Tan and Emrald Bay(in that order) Get some at the show or get it from the shop either way buy it!

When you tan your skin deflects UV to protect it self, tanning is a REACTION to the sun not a PRODUCT! tanning cream help the skin absorb the rays and keep it soft and supple. a tan bed is accomopanied by a fan this is extremely drying on your skin, if you do not have a good moisturisation routine your skin and tan will suffer. If you do not keep your skin hydrated it will flake off (skin naturally exfoliates) and the next bed you will be tanning the same layers of skin thus not getting any darker. Cream keeps you soft during and after the bed, when you shower you will be moisturising after so this is your new routine.

I suggest you start with Gelee (AG) a good cream with hemp seed for moisture, the next creams you use will have bronzers or tingles whatever you like!

Happy Tanning

Thanks for your advice everyone, I think I'll be making an appearance at the G-mex to stock up!I'm not gonig to overdo it though, I used to go to school with a girl who practically lived on the sunbed and she looked terrible for it, God only knows the damage she's caused herself!

I am scared stiff of Sunbeds.
I have only used them once on Doctors rec. to improve my Psoriasis but I started going a funny colour so stopped using them. It did however get rid of my Psoriasis so I would consider using them again if it came back. I love the look of light tans(not tango or mahogany!) on other folks but I am dont like the idea of the damage its doing to my skin.
Even the moisturiser I wear on my face all year round is an SPF 30 - destined to be pale and interesting!!
KxXx

Latest posts

Back