I'm openeing my own salon!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tisha

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just thought I'd share with you that I have finally found a place where I am going to open my own salon.

I have done beauty training and am also a qualified nail technician having done my NVQ at college.

I'm currently working part-time as a self-employed therapist at a local salon but I think I'm being ripped off as I have to pay 40% of my takings as rent. And although I started working there on the understanding that any new customers would come to me, this is not always the case and I was beginning to get fed-up with it all. Anyway, the rest of the time I was working from home and although I have attracted a fair amount of customers I still think I would benefit from a larger premises and passing trade.

So...my husband (who's been amazingly supportive and encouraging....and very interested) and I have put in an offer for this place on a main road. I will have to do it all up but it's in good shape and has the upstairs for any future plans for expansion.

Hopefully the property will be ours soon and we can get iour hands on it and get going with the kit out - but what I wanted to you lovely helpful people out there was if you had any ideas on where I can get nice furniture, accessories etc.... Has anyone come across good suplliers of contemporary furniture or bits and bobs that I can have a look at.

I have been searching on the internet and have found some lovely stuff but the prices are a bit too much on the expensive side.

Anyway, sorry for the long mail but wanted to share this good news with you and was hoping I may get some good advice from some of the more experienced members.

Also....is it a legal requirement for nail salons to have extractor fans?

thanks guys,
Tisha

Well done and good luck!

I love Ikea, everything in my nail room is from there. Very contemporary and at an affordable price.

yeah i would say ikea , if you go to the show why not have a look at some of the stalls that do salon furniture , hope this helps
oh and btw if you like plants , i paid £5 for 1 stalk of twirly bamboo at ikea , but at asda they do a bunch of em for about £3, and they have allsorts of nice bits and bobs (not much help really am i :eek: )

Thnaks for the reapy girls, my first stop was Ikea too - went there last weekend to do a bit of chcecking out the stuff - soem really nice things that I will definately been going for.

My theme is pink and white - to go with my logo and it's a lovely bright pink that will bring fresh, vibrant colour intot he salon - so I'm looking for some nice pink furniture as well - seen these nice office chairs in red/pink that I can use as nail tech chairs, very funky and very comfortable - something different from normal white therapist chairs!

I'm so jealous. Good luck with your new venture.

good luck with your new venture

Good luck Hun, and yes Ikea is the best bet....................
I like the sound of the colour scheme...............
Remember take before and after pictures, so when it gets all a bit much , you can see how far you have come xxxxx

sounds fab! keep us updated :)

Jess
xox

Thats great news Tisha! The more decent salons there are out there the less room for rubbish ones! (like certain dodgy ones across from Asda in Bolton huh??). I'll be round for a nosey! J xx

Good luck Tisha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone, thanks for all the support, I'll definately take some before and after pics - good idea.

I know what you mean about the dodgy one across from Asda JoJo. I had a client yesterday who had her nails done there and they stuck tips on with some acylic overlay and then airbrushed the french white - which always looks perfect. But the lady said they used window cleaner to remove the paint from her fingers!!!!

And they were so thick, yet not much lifting! Hmmm....not sure about the products being used but they certainly sound dodgy!

Tisha said:
Hey everyone, thanks for all the support, I'll definately take some before and after pics - good idea.

I know what you mean about the dodgy one across from Asda JoJo. I had a client yesterday who had her nails done there and they stuck tips on with some acylic overlay and then airbrushed the french white - which always looks perfect. But the lady said they used window cleaner to remove the paint from her fingers!!!!

And they were so thick, yet not much lifting! Hmmm....not sure about the products being used but they certainly sound dodgy!

Well Tisha it was 'Eagle Eye Chris' my blokey who noticed they all wear masks and the poster in the window says 'Nail Here Now £20' or something that equally made no sense atall! J xx

Hmmm! window cleaner huh! Nope dont remember that in my training lol!
Best of luck with your new venture
pam xx

Tisha said:
Also....is it a legal requirement for nail salons to have extractor fans?
As I don't think anyone answered this I will.

It is not breaking the law if you do not have extraction ventillation. However, you would, in my opinion, be very foolish indeed to ignore every manufacturer's advice on this matter.

One only has to read of the problems that many technicians are suffering right here on the nailgeek site to see that extraction Ventillation is a must for your good health and that of your clients. Helps allot twith the cleaning too :lol:

Polished UK make fantastic properly ventillated desks in any colour to go with your salon; chairs and retail shelves too to coordinate. The desks are expensive as is any really good and effective piece of equipment. 0113 275 5719

This is an investment in your good health for goodness sake. Rather than spend a couple of thousand putting down some funkey flooring, spend it on your desks that will last you for years and years.

I've just moved back in with the old folks ;) after coming back from uni, but the house my boyfriend and I had we kitted out prodominently from Argos, Asda, Homebase, Wilkinsons and a fab store in Preston (there are others around and about but I think mainly in the north and Scotland) called Au Natural.
What kind of 'feel' are you going for - chic and streamlined, luxurious, modern? (Sorry, I watch Changing Rooms way too much :o)
From my own experience of doing a house up 'on the cheap', which I know isn't quite the same as a salon but... is:
own-brand paints from Homebase, B&Q etc are just as good as Dulux but cheaper, and some brands do amazing top-coats and metallic paints now. Benneton paints are fab - they do pink glitter too, but a bit more pricey.

Argos have some really nice silver mesh drawers.. I'm not sure if they'd be good for anything, but I've had my eye on them for a while.
Woolworths are worth a look if you want to 'dress' the room, like have some nicknacks and things on shelves that are non nail-related other than plants, an Au Natural are brilliant if there is one near you.
I'm a major advocate of shopping around and going for cheaper stuff as long as the quality is still OK, I'm the opposite of a label-freak (no wonder I didn't get on with the people on my fashion course...)
Good luck, I'm so envious of you! My mum is on a redecorating kick, so luckily I'm getting to pander to my inner Laurence Llewellyn -Bowen right now.... We're doing a 'neopolitan' themed room - cream with chocolate brown and duskt strawberry pink, and I found some lovely stuff in Woolworths to match.
Lol x

Latest posts

Back