I'm really struggling with my soak off gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emillie

Reaction score
Evening geeks.

Im a newbie, fresh out of traing school and i have to say i am finding it hard.

I have trainied with nsi and comtinue to use there acrylic but have opted for the akzents options as my soak off gel.

I believe i am following everything to the T with prep and applictaion , however i am yet to still have a set last more than 10 days. At the minute i am just using my family and frineds as crash test dummies and i am getting so frustrated as to why they wont stay on. They look lovely , but no point in looking good if they wont last.

I have read a few posts on here regarding lifting and lots of peeps saying prep an cap are the major factors so i upped my game in these areas and still lifting.

Here is what im doing

acetone nail
push back cuticle
etch nail
re acetone untill nail "squeeks" and ensure all dust is removed
apply primer
apply base n gloss, working into nail plate , cap free edge, smothing over b4 curing
flash cure each nail as i go for 30 secs, once all done cure 2 mins b4 applying colour
apply colour , cap free edge...again flash cure as i go
apply 2nd coat of colour, cap free edge - flash cure as i go , once done cure all for 2 mins.
apply final layer of base n gloss, cap free edge, flash cure as i go ... when all done cure 4 mins.
remove tack with remover.

so so sorry for the long post but thought it may help if you can see what i am doing.... any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thanks , Emillie x x x x

I don't use Aksentz, but are you sure you are removing all of the dead tissue when you "push back" the cuticle? And are you allowing the nail to fully dry after acetone and beginning application of base? And are you taking care that none of the product touches the skin around the nail? That's all I got!

I agree with Claudia on this. Especially removal of all dead tissue from the nail plate, not just pushing back and etching. Then not touching the skin, gel is notorious for lifting if you touch any of the skin around the nail with it.

Have a look on either the Young Nails website or Youtube for the Young Nails/Greg Salo tutorials. He shows prep very well there so this might help you no matter which brand you are using. :green:

i know for sure i am not touching any of the side walls or cuticles as im leaving a gap and i double check before i cure that there is nothing touching. the gap is visable, something i know needs imroving but for now i feel its safer for me to do this . just so i know for sure im not touching any skin !!!!!

as for removing all of the dead tissue - hum ??? im not sure. im doing what collage showed me i.e. use hoof and tease back cuticle and then etch over the nail. when etching i am sure to cover the entire nail plate. is this where i am going wrong - is there more to removing the tissue ????

thanks you so much for your help so far. i gotta get this right. its driving me nuts.

as for removing all of the dead tissue - hum ??? im not sure. im doing what collage showed me i.e. use hoof and tease back cuticle and then etch over the nail. when etching i am sure to cover the entire nail plate. is this where i am going wrong - is there more to removing the tissue ????

Yes there is. I use Cuticle Away from CND which helps lift the dead skin off the surface of the nail. I apply, leave for 1 minute then use my chisel and probe to remove all the non-living tissue. I then rinse it off with soap and water before removing shine and then Scrubfreshing.

I'd say this is your problem.

Hi, removing the non living skin from the nail plate is a must....but also try Akzentz Options Opti-Bond to use in place of Base N Gloss as a base for superior adhesion with Options gel...there is also the Akzentz group on here that might help you. http://www.salongeek.com/groups/akzentz+group.html

OptiBond is really good, but a bugger to soak off.
Im not sure if cleaning the nail with alcohol instead of acetone would help

so pushing cuticles back and etching is not enough ??? I think i have maybe been mis informed> in collage they just kept saying how important it was to keep times down and 1 way of doing that was not to use a cream/liquid cuticle remover. just quick push back of cuticles and etch ???

i have vanish from nsi, should i start using this again ??? then use hoof and go up and down the nail plate ??? does this need to happen after every soak of to apply new set ???

Here's another thouggt; don't soak the hands before applying a new set. The nails are like little sponges and swell up with water--then shrink back as they dry. So when applying a new set, it is best to perform a "waterless" mani.
Sanitize hands
Apply cuticle softener (or not-your choice)
By the time you have finished applying to last nail-first should be ready to push
Push back and gently scrape down nail plate to remove tissue--making sure to get into the lateral folds.
"etch" is a bad word for me--so using a 180-240 file/buffer gently "remove the shine" from the entire nail plate--making sure to get into the lateral folds.
Thoroughly cleanse nail plate with acetone or 99% alcohol (scrub it)
then go on with your application--dehydrate, base, etc.
HTH!

woooh Fab Girlies .

Really appreciate your info.

so there definatly isnt a problem with the product .. its not know for lifting ????

Is it ever the products fault or mainly due to tech not doin something right ???

whilst i have been out today one of my overlays that i dont on myself peeled off :eek:. eeeek not good ... does this confirm its my prep ??

The proof will be in the pudding as they say !!!! cant wait for my next guinea pig now hehehe !!!

thank u x x x x

emillie :green:

It may just be my pregnancy brain but I didn't get from your step by step if you are doing a full 2 minute cure after the first and second coat of color. This is very important. If each layer is not cured properly this will definatly cause problems.
It should be 2min cure after base n gloss
A 2min cure after 1st coat of color
A 2 min cure after second coat of color
and 2 min cure after final coat of base n gloss Not 4 mins.
Also it is best to use the Akzentz prep products over straight acetone.
I would not use a product like cnd cuticle away with this product as akzentz options is best applied to nails that have not been soaked or wet.

If the gel is peeling from the tips be sure to really cap the free edge. Opti bond can also be used just on the tip and free edge to ensure a really good seal without increasing soak off time.

If you haven't done some training with this product I fully recommend it as different brands have different applications and not knowing 1 little thing can make all the difference.
Check out this website for excellent Akzentz step by steps by Gina Silvestro :)
Tutorials

Hopefully this was helpful :)

so pushing cuticles back and etching is not enough ??? I think i have maybe been mis informed> in collage they just kept saying how important it was to keep times down and 1 way of doing that was not to use a cream/liquid cuticle remover. just quick push back of cuticles and etch ???

:eek: Gosh, that's not good! Where I went to College they said getting times down comes with practice, if you concentrate on getting a quick time, the results won't be as good and once you get used to 'doing' nails you'll find your timing gets (slowly but surely) quicker! They always said that clients would be happier with an excellent set that took longer, than a not-so-good set that didn't take as long (this isn't always the case - you will always get one client that wants fabulous nails in 30 minutes!).

I use NSI vanish on cuticles :) through practice my time has gone down from 2hr 55mins to 2hr 30 mins at the moment lol getting there! :green:

D* xXx

i have vanish from nsi, should i start using this again ??? then use hoof and go up and down the nail plate ??? does this need to happen after every soak of to apply new set ???

Vanish is a great product and will definitely help in ensuring the non-living tissue is removed. Just make sure to wipe the nails with Cleanse afterwards - you don't want to leave the Vanish on then nail plate when moving through prep and then on to application.

Vanish is a great product and will definitely help in ensuring the non-living tissue is removed. Just make sure to wipe the nails with Cleanse afterwards - you don't want to leave the Vanish on then nail plate when moving through prep and then on to application.

Oh yes :green: forgot to say that! Don't forget the trusty Cleanse!

D* xXx

Ok so i have done my own following all of the above to the letter and after 2 days they are lifting.... i am confident enough to say i know i have done it correct now.... is this the gel ??? does anyone else have the problem ??

Yes I am having the same problem with akzentz options gel. I have a client whose akzentz gel just peeled straight off when she was in the shower (she even kept the bit gel for me to see). The gel is just lifting straight off in one piece with no splitting or cracking. She only has one nail left with gel on (her pinkie nail). I did put the same one on her toenails and they are still ok. Her nails do grow at a phenomenal rate though and she uses acetone in her work to clean the lenses of glasses (she has told me she wears gloves?). Feel deflated as I really like this gel and don't want to lose her as a client.

is she the only 1 this is happening too ?? i have just decided to road test on 3 of my friends who all have diff jobs, lifestyles etc ... this is the last chance saloon !!!! if they dont stay on ne 1 of them then im jumping ship. i have ruled out anything that could be me. i.e. prep, application so its all on the gel now. lets wait and see.

i keep hearing great things about gelish - maybe they are worth a shot b4 i fork out for bio sculpture .

What primer are you using?

I don't know about gel nails - I do fibreglass and acrylic. I find I get no lifting at all if I use nail prep (which just cleans and dehydrates) rather than some primers that leave the nail slightly shiney. Maybe you don't need it at all with the acetone you use to wipe the nail.

Just a thought. Perhaps you could try it on one of your own nails.

Last edited:
is she the only 1 this is happening too ?? i have just decided to road test on 3 of my friends who all have diff jobs, lifestyles etc ... this is the last chance saloon !!!! if they dont stay on ne 1 of them then im jumping ship. i have ruled out anything that could be me. i.e. prep, application so its all on the gel now. lets wait and see.

i keep hearing great things about gelish - maybe they are worth a shot b4 i fork out for bio sculpture .

Hi Emillie,

We have great offers on Gelish and a step by step in the August issue of Scratch too....Our smallest (and very reasonalby priced kit) comes with a 14 day money back guarantee...you have nothing to lose!

Give us a call Monday 0800 0148300

Regards, Georgie xx

Latest posts

Back