I'm rubbish at my makeup

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxcetera

Reaction score
I could really do with some advice. I've always been rubbish at doing my makeup when I go out. My mum never wore it, I didn't really have girlfriends to do makeup with, so am very poorly self taught.

I'm 43 and looking for a subtle look but don't know what to buy thats in my price range. I can't afford more than say £10 per item and would have to buy 1 a week.

Main problem, i'm almost blind in one eye, so when I close my good eye, i literally have to do it by feel.

1. Where should I be putting eyeliner, below the rim or on it?
2. Can you recommend a nice mascara that will give me longer lashes esp the outer ones that I don't have many of, I've tried 2 by maybelline, a red one and cats eyes, both not very good.
3. I use a 3 colour eyeshadow, smokey brun by rimmel, like the colours, but i'm unsure where u put the middle and darker colour, is there a diagram anywhere? I've blue eyes and want to make them stand out, but in photos, i look like a ghost with brown panda eyes :o

I don't use foundation, powder or blusher, just face pearls on face and neck with more of it on cheek bones. I do use a concealer under my eyes though.

Can anyone help with the above, I could really do with the advice, as I'm pants lol

thanks in advance x

Hi, the best advice I can give is maybe book a make-up lesson with a local therapist - they will show you how to apply make-up and also tell you which colours work for you - it could save you money in the long run! Make sure you have a good chat with them first before you book - get the right person! Good luck!

Ruth x

Hi, the best advice I can give is maybe book a make-up lesson with a local therapist - they will show you how to apply make-up and also tell you which colours work for you - it could save you money in the long run! Make sure you have a good chat with them first before you book - get the right person! Good luck!

Ruth x
oh blimey, I never thought about that, I didn't realise someone would teach you as opposed to a course if you wanted to do it for a living.

I'll ring a few beauty shops tomorrow to see if its the sort of thing they offer, thanks Ruth x

Also try Youtube! There are SO many amazing Make Up Artists on there that give simple and effective tips.

Try Pixiwoo and pix2woo - I have learnt SO much from them.

Good luck xxx

Also try Youtube! There are SO many amazing Make Up Artists on there that give simple and effective tips.

Try Pixiwoo and pix2woo - I have learnt SO much from them.

Good luck xxx

thanks, will have a look :D

I have always gotten on well with 'No. 7 Extreme Length Mascara' from boots for good length and definition, it is around £12 but they frequently have a '3 for 2' offer on their products. Ask one of their consultants if you are able to try it out. Hope this helps you.

Getting a makeup lesson is great advice. I have given several of my friends lessons and they all say it helps.

And Barry M's Lash Modelling mascara is great. I really love the brush!

Latest posts

Back