Im starting to wonder if i chose the right career..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlegrohl

Reaction score
Not me personally.. I know im in the right place.. I know what i want and no-one can convince me otherwise.
I have learnt so much and come so far.. sure my business/client base could be better.. but even with that side of my career still up in the air my passion for nails is still alive.

Now You would have to be crazy to not to have felt the confusion around here at the moment, people are a bit tense.. but the one thing that i am hearing more and more is that nail technicians are becoming disheartened by the industry... and wondering if they have chosen right.. and if the money they have outlayed on training was a waste of time.

Please keep it civil.. lets not blame or criticise others.. or look backwards.. lets look forward and see what it is that is needed for techs old and new to continue on and become important to the industry..

This is where your voice can be heard..

I want to be important in my country as far as my industry is concerned.. im not afraid of being laughed at about where i came from.. im not afraid of failing.. i just want, one day, to be some-one other techs/students can look up to and learn from. I want to be the "gigi" of Australia.. I want to give Elle McPherson the best set of natural french sculpts that she ever had.. :rolleyes:

High hopes? probably.. but if we dont set our standards high.. the standards of the industry will suffer.
Dig deep... find your passion.. and lets hear it.:hug:

High hopes? probably.. but if we dont set our standards high.. the standards of the industry will suffer.

Well said :hug:

Without High hopes,standards and passion there would not be an industry within which we all work.

It does get somewhat tiresome when hearing the same old "I should give up" story...if individuals had more commitment,passion,desire, staminer and mostly self confidence they would rock.

Glad to see how posative you are and how high you have set your own standards of acheivement...maybe next year you could become the next Prime Minister of Oz :hug:

Well said Chels! I'm happy to just be on the periphery at the moment, helping other geeks out with IT stuff and doing the occasional bit of modelling (as well as my body art stuff of course) but it really is such a fab industry to be in!

It gladdens my (sometimes world-weary) heart to learn that there are still people out there for whom good enough isn't. Too many people in all professions do just enough to get by; whatever happened to being passionate about what we do? I've worked in IT for the last 15 years and managing apathetic, disinterested juniors (and sometimes seniors too!) is exhausting. I'd far rather have someone whose skills need sharpening up than someone whose attitude needs a jolt. Skills can be taught, personalities are a whole other ball game.
I applaud your wanting to be the best. Don't ever let go of that.

It gladdens my (sometimes world-weary) heart to learn that there are still people out there for whom good enough isn't. Too many people in all professions do just enough to get by; whatever happened to being passionate about what we do? I've worked in IT for the last 15 years and managing apathetic, disinterested juniors (and sometimes seniors too!) is exhausting. I'd far rather have someone whose skills need sharpening up than someone whose attitude needs a jolt. Skills can be taught, personalities are a whole other ball game.
I applaud your wanting to be the best. Don't ever let go of that.

I bet it's exhausting, Calla! I guess one reason that I'm still working in development than having moved on to management - I love what I do - and doing management really isn't my thing! Well at least I'm hopefully a breath of fresh air on someone's project team lol...

I'm tired in my soul, Ruth. This is the reason I've given it up and am expanding my little business.
I'm tired of being held to ransom by ruthless directors, tired of trying to chivvy along nigh-on useless support people who don't even know utterly basic keyboard shortcuts like CTRL-A :eek: and tired of my mental wellbeing suffering. I'm worn out with trying to explain that if I could fit 36 man hours into 24 then I'd be accepting the Nobel Prize for Physics, and not trying to meet impossible deadlines, and I'm tired of explaining that a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
I will earn a whole lot less money, and be happier. Sometimes one just has to re-evaluate one's priorities in life.

Well said :hug:

Without High hopes,standards and passion there would not be an industry within which we all work.

It does get somewhat tiresome when hearing the same old "I should give up" story...if individuals had more commitment,passion,desire, staminer and mostly self confidence they would rock.

Glad to see how posative you are and how high you have set your own standards of acheivement...maybe next year you could become the next Prime Minister of Oz :hug:

PM?? never seen one with nails i like so that could also be a first?? nail tech to the first lady PM of australia (Julia gillart wearing ruby red stilettos?)

Im positive because i am surrounded by world class techs.. Techs who dont give them selves enough credit most of the time.. which is why i thought this thread would be a cracker.. I know there are a few geeks sitting on the sidelines wanting to make major moves.. and a few who's self esteem needs a lift.. and the only way to lift it is to dig deep and do it!

I'm tired in my soul, Ruth. This is the reason I've given it up and am expanding my little business.
I'm tired of being held to ransom by ruthless directors, tired of trying to chivvy along nigh-on useless support people who don't even know utterly basic keyboard shortcuts like CTRL-A :eek: and tired of my mental wellbeing suffering. I'm worn out with trying to explain that if I could fit 36 man hours into 24 then I'd be accepting the Nobel Prize for Physics, and not trying to meet impossible deadlines, and I'm tired of explaining that a lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
I will earn a whole lot less money, and be happier. Sometimes one just has to re-evaluate one's priorities in life.

A good idea too! That's why I want to do a whole lot more work helping geeks out with websites and designing the mother of all salon management computer systems instead of just doing work for other companies...

Not me personally.. I know im in the right place.. I know what i want and no-one can convince me otherwise.
I have learnt so much and come so far.. sure my business/client base could be better.. but even with that side of my career still up in the air my passion for nails is still alive.

Now You would have to be crazy to not to have felt the confusion around here at the moment, people are a bit tense.. but the one thing that i am hearing more and more is that nail technicians are becoming disheartened by the industry... and wondering if they have chosen right.. and if the money they have outlayed on training was a waste of time.

Please keep it civil.. lets not blame or criticise others.. or look backwards.. lets look forward and see what it is that is needed for techs old and new to continue on and become important to the industry..

This is where your voice can be heard..

I want to be important in my country as far as my industry is concerned.. im not afraid of being laughed at about where i came from.. im not afraid of failing.. i just want, one day, to be some-one other techs/students can look up to and learn from. I want to be the "gigi" of Australia.. I want to give Elle McPherson the best set of natural french sculpts that she ever had.. :rolleyes:

Well I'm seriously thinking of giving it up. Around here nobody has any idea & nobody cares. The only job availble to me had no standards & I couldn't cope with it.
The CND distributer near me has CHerie Pollard (one of the top educators in Aust) running a class & nobody is interested.
I stopped posting on an Australian forum because they deem it ok to teach non professionals how to do nails & promote ebay as a supplier of professional products.
I want nothing more then to raise standards, but :grr:.
Sorry Chel, I still love nails more then anything but there is only so much a girl can take.

Last edited:
What a great thread Chels! There has been such a lot of bad feeling and tension lately, it's like a breah of fresh air. xxxx

Well I'm seriously thinking of giving it up. Around here nobody has any idea & nobody cares. The only job availble to me had no standards & I couldn't cope with it.
The CND distributer near me has CHerie Pollard (one of the top educators in Aust) running a class & nobody is interested.
I stopped posting on an Australian forum because they deem it ok to teach non professionals how to do nails & promote ebay as a supplier of professional products.
I want nothing more then to raise standards, but :grr:.
Sorry Chel, I still love nails more then anything but there is only so much a girl can take.

I had a sneaky suspicion you were going through it.. I can not believe nobody is interested in seeing cherie.. this is exactly what im talking about..
and look.. i wish people were as passionate about the industry as i am over here but at the end of the day.. its up to them.
im not sure that we are being churned out with the passion ifykwim.. lets just be one of the very few then huh?

PM?? never seen one with nails i like so that could also be a first?? nail tech to the first lady PM of australia (Julia gillart wearing ruby red stilettos?)
now that I would like to see :lol::lol:

Good thread !!

I am not sure if things are tougher in our Industry at the moment or not...I have not seen any evidence of it, apart from some things read on here.

I started in the Nail Industry 10 years ago and I certainly have had my ups and downs!!
But nothing has put me off................and I still have a passion for Nails!

I have worked in a Salon, and I have run my own business, starting small, and getting to a medium sized business!(big enough lol).
I have been let down by Landlords, more than once!!! and still never thought of giving up.
Branching out into Education, certainly gave me motivation, and that is where my real passion is now, I am no idol or icon or whatever,:rolleyes:
I teach people about nailcare and enhancements, and give them new skills to go out and build a new life for themselves....How cool is that for a job!!!
It will do for me:)

Maybe if I was your age Chels, starting out in this Industry I would also be setting my sights as high as you are, I certainly try and get my students to aim high.
There are plenty good opportunities in the Nail & Beauty Industry we just need to open our eyes....or just get out there and grab them.

There are plenty geeks out there who are doing just that....Scratchers and Blackjack are 2 who come to mind immediately and if I had time I could name a few more.

Surely that is why so many people come into our Industry...to have freedom to work the hours they want and to do something they love and is rewarding.

The scope in our Industry is HUGE....salon work, self employed technician, or a Home Salon ....Cruise Ships, Competition work, Photo shoots, Working for a Distributor, Sales, Oh and yes EDUCATION!!
You name it there are plenty of different routes to take in this Industry.........and if one isn't right for you then try another.

I never thought 10 years ago as a part time trainee in a Salon I would be doing what I am doing now, and still enjoying it so much.

Here's to whatever the next 10 years brings ..................cheers!!

well done chels.......... it needed saying and you put it very well. I have noticed quite alot of tension of late.....alot of it probably unnecessary. I am striving to be the best i possibly can be....and wont stop!! All industries have there tough patches....and it looks as if i have started right in the middle of one....it will pass....they nearly always do.
I feel that it is pretty imenant(???) that there will be some standards guidelines put in place to help all us honest techs...i feel that when this happens the 'tough' patch will be over and spirits will be lifted.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<group hug>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

:rolleyes:Wow its great to see all your feelings,I have only started learning nails 2 years ago , I started mobile last September, I also have another self employed job which Ive been doing since December 2007,thank god for the other job as I wouldnt know where Id be now if Id just given up my day time job to do nails.:confused:

Ive had many, many ups and downs in my little time in this industry, what keeps me going is that my nan..bless her ..paid for my first course..and I said to her it will bring me a career..now Ive got to proove it!!I also borrowed money off my 7 year old daughter for my 2nd course, which I yet have to replace..(shes obviously too young to know)..at some point, and I know I wouldnt hear the last of it from my husband , all the money Ive wasted.:confused:

Im finding it all a bit of a visious circle at the moment,and I look at you other geeks on here that have been doing nails for 5-10 years and think ..I cant wait untill thats me.:)

As I ve ive previously mentioned I started mobile last year, Ive had bits and pieces here and there , but no permanant clients,it is getting me down,I dont have much self esteem, and I take critisizum to heart, so when no one returns I get disheartned.:rolleyes:

Sometimes I actually wonder if Im cut out to be a nail tech, as Im not very strong.

Is it like this to start out with for everyone?

Sometimes I wonder if its my timings,it takes me 3 hours to do a set, most clients say ..ooh I didnt realise it would take that long...god why do the have to have that dig at me!!
Sometimes I wonder if Im not advertising enough.Im in Yell .com, Yellow pages ,have a web site, with my website ad.displayed on my car window,I do leaflet drops sometimes , but there comes to a point when youve delivered so many , and with no bookings,..is it worth it ?and all the ink I keep going through,and please dont sugest getting someone else to print and deliver them..I just wont go there.:rolleyes:

Sometimes I think may be its still just early days, maybe this time next year Ill be laughing ??
Im hoping once the weather warms out..lol...maybe it ll be worth doing a leaflet drop then , and maybe I might get a few peeps in for their tootsies.

I have tried in the past to get a job in a salon, all seemed promising, but I think they were put off because it takes me 3 hours to do a set , and the fact I havent got NVQ only a diploma .

Ah dear,I dont know , just wish I could rub a crystal ball and see to the future,I wont be giving up as I said before, as its not my main job so if it does work out ..great,if not ..then poop!

Sorry to have babbled on but Im just hoping some of you geeks might say..I was exactly the same..and now your laughing!

And I must add , this sight is great for coming on to when your feeling a little bit down, it makes you realise its not always your fault.:hug:But maybe at the moment lack of sucess is my fault.:cry:

Debbie I feel for you and your situation as I do for many here on the site who find it so hard to get going. Sometimes I just want to scream at the top of my voice to you all and say, "Why do you make it so hard for yourself and start MOBILE"??? It is such a hard way to start.

Many say, that they want to build up their skills mobile and then go into a salon. NO NO
It is not the way. Neither is necessarily working in someone else's' salon. Why not rent a space and GO for it in your own space??

If you wait you think you are never ready! If you just do it then you DO IT. Sure you'll have some less than perfect sets but that is all 'lipstick and rouge'. As long as you haven't damaged the clients' nails and work with professional integrity then the great work will emerge with EXPERIENCE. NEVER compromise on high standards ... the rest will follow ... I know it ... I've done it .. I've encouraged others to do it who have wished they'd done it years earlier.

People, if you want a successful business .. go out there and get it in your own space and give it your FULL undivided attention. Part attention gets part reward.

I do have a chance of setting up in a salon,a girlfriend of my my husbands friend said I could start up in her salon, I have thought about it, but just concerned its in an area where..what can I say ..people arent so well off!!As I said Ive not much self esteem I think Id be scared of things going wrong or not working out and end up looking a prat...but then thats just me A BIG WORRIER!!

Youve got me thinking now I might think of taken this offer up maybe within the next six months if things dont start working out ,in the mean time Im going to try and book my next 'BELIEVE & SUCEED' course within the next 3 months, and try and find out where to get my times down,and go from there...yeah that sounds like a good idea.:)

In the mean time lets hope the wether soon picks up, Im sure this doesnt help and the time of the year, maybe when people start getting married, and going on holidays, we may get more bookings.

well debbie you were hoping that someone would say it was exactly the same for them as it is for you and you got it!!!!!!!.........ME!!
I only did my training 7 months ago......and yes i was in the hope of going mobile. (bad idea) It was soooo hard....especially as it used to take me longer than you to do a full set.
I was lucky enough to be offered a job in a local salon only a month after doing my course..... I pondered on whether to take it or not as i am not the most confident of people and was worried about my timing.....but some fellow geeks persuaded me to take it.....i am so glad i did now. I only work one day a week in there.....3-8pm but that was all i wanted as i have 2 young kids....and i just wanted to use it so that i got regular practise. I am now nearly fully booked on this day and am starting to work every other saturday so i can fit in more clients....my timing is down to 2.5 hrs ish...depending on what i am doing but i can see my progress in just the short space of time in the salon...it was the best thing i ever did!!!!!
i do honestly recommend that you should think about doing the same as your situation sounds so similar to mine.... it may not be the same for all but its what works for you. By the way i am not nvq qualified either....just done training courses with two of the most reccognised brands in the industry....so it is possible!!!
Good luck.

Definitely a good idea to get experience in a salon first-good advise. I worked for someone for 3 yrs before setting up mobile which I have been doing for 2 years in April. It really builds your confidence and luckily the owner who was a therapist and gave me loads of help to perfect my skills. :hug:

Last edited:
Omg..dicissions dicissions, last year I had to make the big one as to wether to go self employed , now Ive come to should I forget mobile and go rent a room/desk?:rolleyes:
The thing I like about being mobile is being on your own and not have to worry about getting on with anybody..appart from your clients of course.Ive seen alot of people on here who have not got on with the salon owner or have had disagreements with them,it might feel like having a boss again.I know this friends girlfriend but I dont know her mum who actually owns the salon.:rolleyes:
What other rooms do any other geeks rent out appart from in a salon or above a florist?
Ooh and another thing that worries me is the vapours from the acrylic, if I have to work in the actual salon Ill be worried about stinking the place out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back