Im struggling with tanning!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kim-Sparkle

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice on a few things that im finding a bit hard, and im getting a bit down about it. I've started doing mobile spray tanning and in general I really do like it.

I've started off only charging £15 as an introductory offer just to build up a client base and then im gonna put up the price in december. I cant change my price until dec because i've leaflet dropped around my area with the offer. And because its so cheap im not seeing any profit really because im quite new im probably only getting 12 tans out of a bottle at the moment and im spending on other outgoings such as petrol.

Im finding it really tough having to carry everything into peoples houses, im only 5ft and not the strongest so by the time ive carried everything in and set up im knackered, I also struggle being this short when im spraying very tall people as I cant see their shoulders. Does anyone else have this problem?

Im also really paranoid about getting solution on any carpets and things, i've got an extractor fan but it gets covered and im worried about it dripping.

Sorry for this being such a long one, but i needed to let it all out lol
Im stressing myself out about it, and wondering if i've made a mistake going into this kind of work. As im stuggling phyiscally and finanically:Scared:

Thanks for takin the time to read this anyway! xxx

Hi there,

I think when you are not making any money, it can all seem like a chore. It's tricky when you've started prices low to put them up though... maybe give your clients some notice that, say, in a month, two months' time, the introductory offer is ending and your new price will be X.

Maybe if you can start charging more for the Xmas rush it might all seem more worthwhile!

Re worrying about spilling, I take along a shower curtain which I lay on the floor just in case.

Re carrying it all I'm not sure what to say as I always think doing a spray tan is travelling 'light'. I'm mobile too and am used to having to lug in my couch, stool, etc !!

Really hope things pick up for you. Think you need to readjust your prices when you can xxx

hi yes it is hard to make a profit stating out, i ,ve not been tanning that long myself, i stared out at £10 a tan to get clients, charging £15 now in my area don,t think they will pay more than that, soon i will be going mobile going to charge £18 c how it goes, i use about 50ml of solution can use a bit less if really try but think this is about average i think. like you want to charge bit more but there is few places that they could go , but i think if you build a good clientele they will say with you if you slowly put your prices up.​

aww hun keep ur chun up... it is a struggle at first as ya seem like its all for no money. The shower curtain is a fab idea but what do you have your things in to carry? have you tried a case to put all your bits in ? Also fill your gun b4 you go so that you have enough and top up in the car as you go. Also jml do a pop up step for £10 i think and they are fold down and light weight that should do the trick just pop up on them clients won't mind as not everyone is different.

Try carrying ya tent and machine in then ya case and fan and that should be all you need good luck hun and stick at it xx

Aw hun I know exactly how u feel, Im only 5ft 1 myself!! About the equipment, a know this might sound stupid but do u really need the ex fan? I know a few people use them but they can be hard to carry around. I have my mobile minimist, solution, wipes ect in a holdall and my tent n I find that easier. There are a few companies who do 2 or 3 tier box trolleys with a pull out handle and wheels, this might help u a little bit more aswell.
A black towel under the front of youre tent might help (got this tip from my trainer) if youre worried about spills or marks on the carpet, but the shower curtain idea is good too hun. Good luck and dont loose heart youre obviously really passionate about wat u do, so dont give up..
xxxxx

Hey guys,

Just looking for some advice on a few things that im finding a bit hard, and im getting a bit down about it. I've started doing mobile spray tanning and in general I really do like it.

I've started off only charging £15 as an introductory offer just to build up a client base and then im gonna put up the price in december. I cant change my price until dec because i've leaflet dropped around my area with the offer. And because its so cheap im not seeing any profit really because im quite new im probably only getting 12 tans out of a bottle at the moment and im spending on other outgoings such as petrol.

Im finding it really tough having to carry everything into peoples houses, im only 5ft and not the strongest so by the time ive carried everything in and set up im knackered, I also struggle being this short when im spraying very tall people as I cant see their shoulders. Does anyone else have this problem? Get a cheap plastic step

Im also really paranoid about getting solution on any carpets and things, i've got an extractor fan but it gets covered and im worried about it dripping. It sounds like you are using too much solution, it should not covered to the extent of you worrying about drips.

Sorry for this being such a long one, but i needed to let it all out lol
Im stressing myself out about it, and wondering if i've made a mistake going into this kind of work. As im stuggling phyiscally and finanically:Scared:

Thanks for takin the time to read this anyway! xxx
Have you had any training hun, if so who did you do your training with,
when i train most of the problems that you are experiencing are covered in the training along with marketing advise.
i use from 30mls to 40mls per tan depending on the canvas hth

Last edited:
Moosey's right the step is called "The Blue Step" and its light weight and folds flat so that shuld help with the shoulder tanning.

And I agree with Loobylou that if you are only getting 12 tans per bottle of solution then you are proably using too much, hence the dripping! When I did my training I was told you should get 20 tans from a litre (using roughly 50mls each tan)

I use brown towels spread underneath the front of my tent so any spillages would not be noticed.

Being mobile means you build up your muscles lol - I have shoulders like Geoff Capes!!!!!

Good luck hun I hope you get everything sorted

i would set up my tent and fan first then go get my machine and liquids, or ask someone to help you in with it all,
as for carpet protection, then yes, this is important in case you spill anything, but could you not fill your gun inside the tent area?? so any spillages would occur in there if there was to be any?

could you ask your client to squat slightly for a few seconds as you do the high parts?
or a stool is a great idea!!
as for the fan getting covered etc, then you are using far too much solution, and have your gun turned up too high!
this is just wasting your liquids, resulting in less profit for you

could you not ask your trainer about the usage of your machine and liquids??

you should be able to finish the tan, wipe over with a wipe , the floor of the tent and pack away and off you go, with no after effect for the clients to deal with

hth x

I love to do spray tans (it's my best treatment) as in my opinion you travel light with this treatment. I have all my tanning solution in my bag and just take the box with compresser in.
I dont know which brand you are using but i know Solglo do feet sheets for your client to stand on. I just put one at the front of the tent and poor my solution in over that to avoid spills. If i run out i use couch roll or a towel.
I too did tans cheeper in the begining and that im sure is what has got me the clients i have today!
xxx

Thank you so much everyone, your advice has been brill!! Think i will invest in getting a fold away step thing, more to carry though lol. :biggrin:

With the extrator fan i didnt really mean it as in drips, but it is wet to touch so i worry that someone will brush up against it or if it accidently rubs against a wall as im leaving. I only spray once and i dont get any overspray so i dont really understand how im using too much but i guess I must be if i only get 12.

Im just gonna have suck it up and build up some muscles and get used to carrying stuff I suppose, normally i wouldnt mind but a few clients that i've done so far live in apartment blocks and either the lift doesn't work or there isn't one!!!

Thank you so much for your help though, its so nice to know that there are people here to support you! x

Hi Kim!

With regards to the amount of soution your are using ~ I was exactly the same only a few months ago (lots of people on here will tell you!) I was using 100ml's per client !!!!???!!! I really can't believe i was doing that and don't have a clue how BUT you must perservere because today I have discovered that I now only used 30ml on my client!!!!

So what I'm trying to say is, please don't give up because although it all seems horrible at the moment, you WILL get there. One day it just clicks in to place. Good luck with it all and enjoy the process you take to get there! xx xx xx

Latest posts

Back