I'm unqualified as nail tech am I allowed to do manicures?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
Hi geeks :)

I just did my little girls school fayre but that was with my jewellery. A lady there asked me if I would like to do the Junior school fayre in a months time, I jumped at it (sucker for these things :green:) Anyway, when the lady who organises it phoned me, she asked me what I did, so I told her it was handmade jewellery and she said 'Oh, we already have two stall like that already' :irked: So I said I was going to be doing my nail technicians training and perhaps I could do mini manicures and nail art instead. She loved the idea, but before I commit myself, am I allowed to do this? I won't have even started training when this comes around.

Thanks in advance

Sarah. xx

Not really sure!!! As you will be working on the public and I presume charging for the service I would imagine you would need insurance at least. You can get this as a student.

You have to take into account product exposure. Allergies etc.

wouldn't think you could do it, check your insurance.

Hi,I am currenly studying Beauty Therapy in college and was advised by my tutor that us students can practice on people at home etc as long as we are insured. She then went on to hand leaftlets from BABTEC, so maybe you could contact them for further advice??Hope this helps xx

wouldn't think you could do it, check your insurance.

Hmmm. Problem there too, I haven't got any yet. I've got a few quotes for as if I was qualified as I will be needing it eventually, but as I'm not officially a student and not qualified in anything I'm not even sure I could get it right now. I really want to do this but I'm not prepared to do it 'illegally'!

Thanks for your answers so far

Sarah. xx

My honest opinion is that you shouldn't do it. If you are not trained and have not begun your training yet, how are you going to make a good job? You could damage your reputation before you've even got started.

With regard to insurance, there is no legal requirement to have insurance, but just as an example, if you were to cut someone, let's say someone who suffers with diabetes, this could lead to gangrene (worst case scenario, I know) but you could be in a lot of trouble.

My honest opinion is that you shouldn't do it. If you are not trained and have not begun your training yet, how are you going to make a good job? You could damage your reputation before you've even got started.

With regard to insurance, there is no legal requirement to have insurance, but just as an example, if you were to cut someone, let's say someone who suffers with diabetes, this could lead to gangrene (worst case scenario, I know) but you could be in a lot of trouble.

I know ZoZo. I'm not and never will be NSS and wouldn't do anything unless insured, I'll have to give it a miss :sad:, unless it's safe to just do nail art? Polish, stickers, that sort of thing?

What are your thoughts on this - anyone, not just ZoZo!

Sarah. xx

Hmmm. Problem there too, I haven't got any yet. I've got a few quotes for as if I was qualified as I will be needing it eventually, but as I'm not officially a student and not qualified in anything I'm not even sure I could get it right now. I really want to do this but I'm not prepared to do it 'illegally'!

Thanks for your answers so far

Sarah. xx
then don't do it.

II'll have to give it a miss :sad:, unless it's safe to just do nail art? Polish, stickers, that sort of thing?
I would check with the school to see if you're covered on their public liability insurance.

If you're just going to be applying nail stickers and a bit of nailart/enamel I can't really see the harm, I remember school fayres at my children's junior school, they had yr 6 girls doing nailart etc!

Providing they're making donations and you're not making anything from it I personally can't see a problem, but I wouldn't offer manicures of any kind until you're fully qualified sweetheart, best to be safe than sorry :hug:

then don't do it.

Yeah, you're right. :sad:

Is it safe to just do nail art? Polish, stickers, that sort of thing? I wouldn't be using files or anything to actually injure/cut/scrape anyone then. Get them to sign a disclaimer too before I put polish on re: known allergies? Obviously get insurance too.

Or, I could just show up with literature, questionnaire, email sign-up list, business cards, flyers, that sort of thing and get my face known, then when I am qualified contact them? More of a PR exercise than anything.

I want to get my name and face known as the people who's kids go to this school generally have a bit of spare cash, they're pretty cliquey and my little girl is due to go there in September, so I think the PR route may be the one. Not actually doing anything to/on anyone so no harm to be done :)

Let me know your thoughts?

Sarah. x

Yeah, you're right. :sad:

Is it safe to just do nail art? Polish, stickers, that sort of thing? I wouldn't be using files or anything to actually injure/cut/scrape anyone then. Get them to sign a disclaimer too before I put polish on re: known allergies? Obviously get insurance too.

Or, I could just show up with literature, questionnaire, email sign-up list, business cards, flyers, that sort of thing and get my face known, then when I am qualified contact them? More of a PR exercise than anything.

I want to get my name and face known as the people who's kids go to this school generally have a bit of spare cash, they're pretty cliquey and my little girl is due to go there in September, so I think the PR route may be the one. Not actually doing anything to/on anyone so no harm to be done :)

Let me know your thoughts?

Sarah. x

With the greatest of respects,you won't be able to apply enamel like a pro yet,people remeber these things and it may hinder your future as a nail tech hth's

I love your attitude! Well done you.
If its a PR exercise (and lets face it, we all do it for our kids school hoping to get our face known as a therapist rather than a mum) then get some info cards made up, make some party bags up with some bits and pieces to give out and why not buy some false nails and get the kids to decorate them themselves.

You will have
a) entertained the kids
b) given them something 'different' to do
c) stick in the mums memory

You could perhaps give a prize out at the end for the best decorated nail.

Minimum cost, maximum impact.

good luck xxx

You could just get yourself known by getting involved with the PTA, baking cakes and/or helping out on a stall or whatever they need you for, doesn't need to be nail/beauty related. Then when you start your training you can ask your 'new friends' to be your models.

Thanks for all your input girls I really appreciate it :)

Donations are a great idea as ValencianNails said and if they want me to pop a sticker or two on their nails with a bit of topcoat then I don't see the harm either, and Becki you're right about probably doing more harm than good so I'll leave the polish out :)

hippy-chick I love the idea of the goody bags, and the create-a-nail idea is just genius! I'm a bit of a whizz with Microsoft Publisher and I have a load of card so info cards it is :)

Zo Zo, great idea and I really want to be involved more with the school PTA, the thing is I work school hours and only get a chance to help out with things like this.

Thanks again guys :)

glad to have been of help.:green:

Hi
Iv just finished my training at college doing manicures and ped and i dont get certificate till sep.I would'nt do it if i did'nt have insurance cover,also you dont really know how to do a good job yet, if you've never done it before and you dont know how to do a good paint job.I dont mean to be harsh.xx

Hi
Iv just finished my training at college doing manicures and ped and i dont get certificate till sep.I would'nt do it if i did'nt have insurance cover,also you dont really know how to do a good job yet, if you've never done it before and you dont know how to do a good paint job.I dont mean to be harsh.xx

Not harsh Sandra, just your opinion hun :)

Thanks for that, I welcome all praise and critisicm equally :green:

Sarah. xx

PS well done for passing your course, shame you have to wait so long for your certificate. Where did you train hun? xx

What will you include in your mini manicure? If it is just a bit of varnish then you will b fine.I dont think you will be covered to start applying creams and stuff because if they had a reaction you dont hold a qualification that says your qualified to do this.xx

Hi Kylieb :)

Thanks for your reply. It's all about reaction of some kind or another isn't it!?

I was going to just file the ends off the nails to make them uniform in length and put a bit of polish on the adults or with the kids just a nail sticker and some clear top coat to seal it. I wouldn't be going anywhere near the skin around the outside. But due to inside info and good judgement and intelligence from this great site, I'm just going to do the stickers with some clear and put out some info leaflets about me and what I am intending on doing in the very near future with some goody bags with bits and pieces in and probably do a 'create-a-nail' comp for the kids where they can win a small prize such as some lipglosses or something like that.

Sarah. xx

Just to throw another Idea into the mix.....

How about you 'showing' the kiddies how to do some designs, and then let them try? I speak from experience here.... lol I had the same idea as you many years ago, and the children ran wild!!! :lol: ( I know this is to be expected)

For instance.... paint a stick on nail Red, two white blobs at one end for eyes, a line across separating the head, a line down the middle to the other end, and three dots on each side......voila! A Ladybird!!! :green:

Kids love this sort of stuff!

Latest posts

Back