I'm very low, been put on sertraline

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire@OBNMK

Reaction score
I think things have built up and last thursday was the last straw, i just feel i have no energy, tired, crying for no reason (watched an ad on tv and it made me cry!), i feel so useless and embarrassed.

I even lost interest in my nails stuff and i normally love that and I've lost all creative ability my mind just goes blank.

the doc has put me on sertraline I felt awful for about 4 hrs but i know feel quite anxious & shakey & butterflies in my tummy, has anyone been on these before how long before these side effects disappear.

I'd ask my doc but it's such an ordeal to try and get to see him :(

I have been on these before when I was 15, I found them very good, but then had to change. They do take a while to work though and for side effects to improve, how long have you been on them? I found it took around 2 months or so before I got the full benefits of them.

I have been on these before when I was 15, I found them very good, but then had to change. They do take a while to work though and for side effects to improve, how long have you been on them? I found it took around 2 months or so before I got the full benefits of them.

I took my first tablet today, but i wasn't expecting this feeling of being off my head/not in control/anxious.

I'm worried about my business (nail tech at home) and i worry that i wont be able to perform my services to the best of my ability and/or my clients might think I've gone a bit odd, do you know what i mean?

And what with xmas coming up.
I've have a few regular clients that i get on with very very well, should i mention that I'm not well and that might explain for me coming across as a bit odd or is it all in my mind so i should carry on as normal.......christ i feel so paranoid....

I took my first tablet today, but i wasn't expecting this feeling of being off my head/not in control/anxious.

I'm worried about my business (nail tech at home) and i worry that i wont be able to perform my services to the best of my ability and/or my clients might think I've gone a bit odd, do you know what i mean?

And what with xmas coming up.
I've have a few regular clients that i get on with very very well, should i mention that I'm not well and that might explain for me coming across as a bit odd or is it all in my mind so i should carry on as normal.......christ i feel so paranoid....

It sounds normal to me, you can feel worse before you feel better.
Would there be anyway you could take a couple of weeks off work?

I don't think your clients will notice to be honest unless they know you really well, maybe with the ones you get on well with you could tell them your not feeling yourself at the minute.

I'm in these and after 4weeks I did start to feel better but I've been dealing with depression for 12years.
I felt ill for the first 4days of taking them and was told the side effects should only last a week or two while your body adjusts to them.
Hope you start to feel better soon x

It sounds normal to me, you can feel worse before you feel better.
Would there be anyway you could take a couple of weeks off work?

I don't think your clients will notice to be honest unless they know you really well, maybe with the ones you get on well with you could tell them your not feeling yourself at the minute.

Thanks for getting back to me.
Because i work in a school in the kitchen and we've got xmas dinners starting from next week it's not the time to have time off :(. I'm gonna try and go back tomorrow.

As for clients i can't cancel them, it's my first xmas as a nail technician.
I'm just going to see how i get on today, took a tablet at 8am (I was given zopiclone to help me sleep, took one tab 1 hr before my bedtime but 2 hrs later nothing so i took another and zonk, but now feel a bitwobbly and groggy.

I think i'll stick to one from now on (I was secretly hoping the doc would give temazepam, had it before and I've never slept like it, but sadley no, didn;t want to ask him for it he may think im a druggie! Lol)

Hi I have been on sertraline for the last yr & a half. My previous tablets stopped working for me so docs gave me these. Luckily I didn't have any side affects on the change over . If you are getting bad side affects & are feeling anxious as well go back to the docs & ask if you can have a low dose of Diazepam or propanolol. The diazepam calms you & takes away the side affects & the propanolol takes away the physical side affects . Doctors can sometime be reluctant to give out diazepam but if you are suffering bad they might give them to you. Side affects can take up to a month to go as it takes upto 2-4 weeks before you might see any difference in yourself & the tablets to work.

Stick with the tablets and take them regularly. They won't be a quick fix but over time they will help 'the fog' lift and that feeling of not being in control of your emotions will gradually go.
The first couple of days will be pretty grim but that will settle. Promise.

Look after yourself. Talk to those people you feel able to. Don't beat yourself up. Book some time off over Christmas. It can be a difficult time of year if everyone around you appears happy and you don't feel like that.
1 in 3 will suffer with some sort of mental illness at some point in our lives which means a lot of people will understand will understand how you feel.

Thinking of you xx

Ah thanks. I do feel however that im being silly and i should just snap out of it but i can't, I have no energy, i feel so embarrassed.

I've had serveral boughts of depression over the years, PND after 2 kids, living on my own the lonleyness was unbearable. My brothers, mum and husband have suffered/suffering with this blight.

I hope to god my kids dont get this when they are older. :sad:

Claire, I'm hoping the Dr explained the common side effects to you when discussing which anti depressant to prescribe? I know they are pushed for time, but this is basics. If they didn't then in the info leaflet the side effects that are listed first are the most common and it works its way down the list to the less common. But please bear in mind that everything that was experienced has to be documented on these leaflets and just because they are listed it does not mean that you will experience them.

Everybody experiences depression and the effects of meds (both positive and side effects) differently. You are on the right track saying that you would speak to your professional about it as they know you and what the depression is like for you. If you can't get in to your GP then your local Pharmacist is the next person to be discussing this with. You can go in and ask to speak privately with them and they will be more than happy to answer any questions, no matter how small they may feel to you. I would rather my patients tell me if they are unsure than have this add to their anxiety. You have enough on your plate. :hug:

Forgot to mention if you are suffering with side affects take the tablets before bed. This way the worst will be over when you wake up.

Claire, I'm hoping the Dr explained the common side effects to you when discussing which anti depressant to prescribe? I know they are pushed for time, but this is basics. If they didn't then in the info leaflet the side effects that are listed first are the most common and it works its way down the list to the less common. But please bear in mind that everything that was experienced has to be documented on these leaflets and just because they are listed it does not mean that you will experience them.

Everybody experiences depression and the effects of meds (both positive and side effects) differently. You are on the right track saying that you would speak to your professional about it as they know you and what the depression is like for you. If you can't get in to your GP then your local Pharmacist is the next person to be discussing this with. You can go in and ask to speak privately with them and they will be more than happy to answer any questions, no matter how small they may feel to you. I would rather my patients tell me if they are unsure than have this add to their anxiety. You have enough on your plate. :hug:

Are you a doc too?

no we didn't go through side effects, but he is a lovely doc (hes the best on on the clinic.)

I dont feel as anxious today so far but lets wait and see but i feel a bit floaty like every know and then stuff is in slow motion for a sec or 2 then my brain gets zapped and i forget what i was doing!! weird

Take them at night, they made me feel so sick and like I was drunk. Took them at night and felt much better the next day x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Take them at night, they made me feel so sick and like I was drunk. Took them at night and felt much better the next day x

ok then but I've taken one this morning, so can i take one tonight the same time i take my zopiclone sleeping tablet (was perscribed at same time as AD's by doc)?

Wait until tomorrow night otherwise you'll be overdosing x

Sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather. Your posts usually make me chuckle!! So just sending you a hug and hope you feel more like your usual chirpy self again soon. Xxx

It might be your zopiclone, that knocked me sideways!

It might be your zopiclone, that knocked me sideways!

maybe i did take 2 last night.

Anyways the side effects have pretty much calmed down, like 12hrs later.
I'm gonna try and take the antidepressant at about 8pm and see what happens.

I'm glad i can make someone laugh CeeCee:Love:

Ask for prozac. Makes u high as a kite lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

You took two! Wow. I was still zonked on half a tab. I think with anything, you'll get used to it. I'm on fluoxetine (Prozac type) and no side effects but when I was on citralopram I was rattling, similar to what you are describing.

Latest posts

Back