Immigration! AARRRGGGHHHHHHHH

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely LOVE this dress (I have a long neck too):

http://montreal.craigslist.ca/clo/485499344.html

2003512858166066007_rs.jpg

OR these 'cuts' of dresses (without lace/beading and such, JUST PLAIN FABRIC), I'm also thinking shorter, without trains... but the styles are nice:

POWER SELLER PROMOTION!!NEW BRIDAL WEDDING GOWN Dress - (eBay.ca item 110210544622 end time 08-Jan-08 18:49:15 EST)

New Satin Halter Bridal WEDDING GOWNS/Dresses All Size - (eBay.ca item 120204621302 end time 06-Jan-08 21:14:53 EST)

Horn Cheer Sleeves WEDDING GOWNS/Dresses/Prom All Size - (eBay.ca item 120205284838 end time 08-Jan-08 23:33:39 EST)

CHARMING LACE WORK WEDDING DRESS /PROM GOWN HB139 - (eBay.ca item 130186905828 end time 08-Jan-08 11:16:31 EST)

RR*Satin Embroidery WEDDING DRESS/GOWN/PROM BRIDE RR205 - (eBay.ca item 220189405847 end time 09-Jan-08 04:40:40 EST)
The pictured dress is lovely Victoria.

Oooohhhhh - my favorites are the one in the picture or the first linked one.

i love the one in the pic vitoria....it is GORGEOUS xxx

Very lovely! Have you actually tried any on yet? Sometimes what you think will suit you, doesn't, and you end up going for something that you would never have thought of. It's happened to me and two of my friends. I would really recommend just trying on some styles to find out what looks really good before you buy anything. Oh, and don't get one that you're not completely in love with!

Thanks!

I will be heading out to try some soon. Best friend/Maid of honour and I are trying to line our schedules up AND childcare (we do NOT need my two monkeys & her baby in a dress store LOL)

The reasons I chose the ones I did, is for their cut.
I've never worn anything so elaborate before...nor as long.
But I was looking at necklines because I know what doesn't suit me there. I have a long neck already and don't want to look like ET.
Anything strapless would have to add straps too, as strapless doesn't suit me. (don't need to be tugging all day at my bosoms either). Or the neckline like the Audrey Hepburn dress.
Sheathes don't suit me so well, honestly? I tend to look like a pole:irked:

I definately have to go and have a look.

On another note: I'll move this convo to my blog so as not to aggravate anyone, and especially since dresses are not a convo relating to immigration
:lol:

Having had 2 out of the three born abroad I deeply sympathize with what you are going through:hug::hug: Trust me, Canada is not the only country that puts you through it to prove that you are entitled by blood, birth and heretige to live where you are already living :irked:
Deep breath in and when dealing with the prats, try to do it in person and remember to smile at them, that old ' I know you have to follow the rules, just help me understand what they are thing':rolleyes: if you can get one of these people on your side it will be much quicker and cheaper for you, especially if you can get the sympathy over getting married bit.

Yup!

I play that role to the hilt "sweet, poor pitiful me, my poor wedding, waited so long.... I really don't understand all this fuss...I'm sure you'll be able to help...."

I do this ALL the time.
Sugar, especially when laid on thick, helps a LOT in messy situations:lol:

I'm trying to put a new foot forward this week, and am determined not to let it all get to me. SMILE!:lol:

What is REALLY bizarre is at the US Embassy, the dept with which I have to deal is only available from 2 till 4 every day. Geez, I'd love a job like that:lol:

Hopeing to get some answers today. No answer yet to my email. Will call again at 2 UGH and hope I don't sit on hold for 30min again, I gave up last time.
Crossing fingers.
:hug:

Yup!

I play that role to the hilt "sweet, poor pitiful me, my poor wedding, waited so long.... I really don't understand all this fuss...I'm sure you'll be able to help...."

I do this ALL the time.
Sugar, especially when laid on thick, helps a LOT in messy situations:lol:

I'm trying to put a new foot forward this week, and am determined not to let it all get to me. SMILE!:lol:

What is REALLY bizarre is at the US Embassy, the dept with which I have to deal is only available from 2 till 4 every day. Geez, I'd love a job like that:lol:

Hopeing to get some answers today. No answer yet to my email. Will call again at 2 UGH and hope I don't sit on hold for 30min again, I gave up last time.
Crossing fingers.

Hang in there.... hoping by now you've made some headway!.... Maybe with luck you'll end up with DUAL citizenship!!! (Oh yeah!:rolleyes: that'll happen!) .... That's our gov't for ya.... :zzz:hmmm you've been here most of your life, work, pay taxes, have all the other gov't documentation.... what you really need here is a CRIMINAL RECORD!!!! lmao... seems to be plenty of that around and nobody gives THEM the boot!!!!!!:irked:

Seriously...... I agree with the 'go to the press' suggestion.... it's the only way to get something like this fast tracked.... there must be a local reporter for the 6pm news that has a 'on the side of the underdog' type of segment..... just check it out, I'm certain they can get through a lot of the red tape for you!!!

Good luck, let us know how you make out! (LOVE your gown photo....very classic!)
:hug: Tina.

Ok, here's the update (sorry, was posting in my blog as didn't want to annoy anyone with this soap opera LOL)

Ok, re: Immigration

When I initially followed up on it, I had called the 1-800 number (toll free number for long distance, no charges to me) that was at an office outside of my province. I guess the twits (yes, MULTIPLE TWITS) with whom I spoke were not aware that Quebec laws differ from some of the other provinces.
So, it boils down to that FOR MY MARRIAGE, I do NOT need to prove citizenship. Only to provide a valid birth certificate. That's IT.

But, yes, I still need to pursue this Immigration issue and get it settled, and it will still be a lot of red tape.
As per the US Embassy, I am still, according to THEIR Immigration laws, an American citizen and ALWAYS will be no matter what. Even if I obtain a Cdn citizenship.
As for the Cdn Immigration laws, it's all complicated and convoluted, but I am pretty much guaranteed citizenship. It's just a question of paperwork. I am entitled via different routes for different reasons, so they have absolutely no reason to deny me, when I do file the paperwork.
Derivative through mother, derivative through common law hubby, 'grant' due to my long residency here - 34yrs -, late registration of birth abroad, mother to 2 canadian children... etc LOL Basically it's mine, it's just a question of time and dollars to file the application and take the test.

OK
As for my dress.
For the moment, it appears I shall be wearing my beloved Nana's wedding dress that she wore for her own wedding during WWII. In likelihood, it has likely seen the back of several brides due to the circumstances and shortages back then, during that terrible time (just as she and my grandfather had mismatched bands due to shortages).

While it's not my 'style' nor exactly my taste, it is still a lovely dress and as it turns out - FITS ME PERFECTLY. (ok, the arms are a tad short, but that can be fixed).
You can see it in my blog.

I was in tears the moment my mother told me she still had it. I'm waiting to see a picture of my Nana on her WEdding day to see how she did her hair and what accessories she wore.
I plan on scanning the picture and printing it to frame it.

When I tried it on, I was so overwhelmed with feelings, I couldn't speak for a moment. So much history in such a shred of fabric.

It does need some repairs before I can even consider cleaning it. It was stuffed in a bag for over 60yrs... I'm hoping it's even possible to make the repairs so it doesn't fall apart when it's cleaned.
Needless to say, the UTMOST care will be taken about the cleaning of this peice of history, my heirloom dress.....My Nana's dress....

Ok, so that's the update.
So, I now have less stress, and can focus on the little stuff (like finding an officiant to perform the ceremony on the date of my choice LOL)

:hug::hug::hug: to everyone

Thats better news though isnt it Victoria about the citizenship?

Does it mean you are going to save $200 too? $200 more towards the wedding?

Well, not really:irked:

I still need to resolve this citizenship and will still need to spend the money because laws will be implemented in the coming months that will restrict my travel.

For example, I will need a passport if I want to board a train or cross the US/Cdn border to go to Plattsburgh, New York. A lof of Quebecers do that for shopping as we can find SO MUCH MORE there that we can't get here and the PRICES! OMG!
Because of the language laws here, that have strict regulations regarding labels and such, many companies won't distribute their products to Quebec and/or will limit it to only part of their inventory. So there's a lot we don't have, that we can purchase for 1hr's drive away.

Also, should I ever need to go and visit my family in New York, I'll need a passport.

I can't vote either, as it stands for the moment. Given the Quebec political climate, voting is a NECESSITY.

AND in a lot of places, Americans are not welcome but Canadians are.
So, whatever the future of this planet and my life hold; I would much rather have a Canadian passport/citizenship than an American one.

In any cases, for all intents and purposes, I might as well be a Canadian already.

So, I still need to spend the 200$ (or more). It's just not as 'rush' as it was. Although, I'd really like to go shopping in Plattsburgh for my daughter's dresses.

Thanks for listening

AS the "Nike" slogan goes ........ JUST DO IT !!!!!:)
No point procrastinating.

AS the "Nike" slogan goes ........ JUST DO IT !!!!!:)
No point procrastinating.

I'm not procrastinating dear.
But the wallet is EMPTY!!
I went overboard at Xmas and am catching up... like most folk LOL

But heck, if you wanna pay for it, GO FOR IT :lol:

Latest posts

Back