Immigration! AARRRGGGHHHHHHHH

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Ok, not even 1mth engaged and ALREADY, frustrated:irked:

I was researching what I needed to get married, and on the government site, it said I needed certain proofs of identity.
One of them being........ a passport.
I've never travelled, so never needed one.
Until now.

EXCEPT
My citizenship is in question and it's quite the ridiculous circle right now.

I was born in Florida of USA. Lived there 2years and "landed" here in Montreal as an infant. So, I have 'landed immigrant' status and permanent resident at the very least.
BUT the Immigration office has no idea if I'm Canadian or American.

The reason this is all so convoluted is this:
My mother is Canadian.
My father was American until he applied for citizenship in Canada when I was a teen.
My mother never registered me as 'birth abroad' when they 'landed' here in Canada and had up until 2004 to do a "late registration of birth abroad'.
Of course, none of us knew this:rolleyes: They don't exactly call you up and tell you.

At present, Immigration is undergoing some changes in their rules regarding birth's abroad and etc...
Apparently there are a couple of court cases going on that would determine one way or the other what I am.
For the moment, I am "nothing":grr:

Now, there are 3 ways I can apply for citizenship, or grant of citizenship.
2 ways are cheap BUT my application would be in limbo until the court cases are resolved and laws established and this could drag on for another year or two.
OR
I can pay 200$, file a Request for Citizenship, take a 30min test on the subjects of: Canadian history, Canadian Geography, some Politics and a language test (to prove I can speak the language of the country :rolleyes:)
and they will rush the application through so that I will have citizenship determined before my wedding so as to have the appropriate documentation.

BUT if after the court cases are settled, it's deemed I was already a citizen, I do NOT get reimbursed my 200$ for the application ALTHOUGH it's not my fault that they don't know what I am.:irked:

I have been schooled here. I have my Social Insurance Number, I have medicare, I PAY TAXES
and NOW
I have to pay to be a citizen and god help me if I flunk the test because I SUCK at History and Geography:irked: (there's a book in the mail for me to study)

THE OTHER OPTION is to go through the American Embassy and all the sorts of headaches that THAT poses, and it might be the same darn situation. In any case, much easier and more convenient to be Canadian since I DO live here. UGH.....

welcome to my world where "Murphys' Law" likes to make an example of me
:lol::lol::lol:

Red tape just makes you want to scream doesn't it?! :grr::grr::grr:

Oh Victoria, what a dillema!
Hope it works out for you hon.
Marion x

have to admit as much as i love caanda the immigration dept are a nightmare at sorting things out , they have so much red tape :lol:
i would pay the $200 and at least its stress free then , haha

Have just run into MORE red tape.

On the form, it asks
"are you a citizen of another country".

The answer to that is I DON'T KNOW:!: How could I? When they don't know:rolleyes:

Have just spent 30min on the phone trying to figure what answer to put, to be told to contact the local US consolate or Embassy and that they will tell me if I'm considered a US Citizen and how to answer the question.
Ok, so I look up their number.
10min into the phone call, pushing this number and that number through the @#$%^&( automated system..... no one answers and it rings and rings and rings.
I call back, get their website info.

GUESS WHAT???

THE DAMNED SITE IS DOWN:evil:
So... no one answers the phone.
And can't contact them via the site.

:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

I know what you mean.

I need to have my passport renewed on the 21st, but because the passports are now Biometric, I actually need to go to London to apply in person and have to have a interview with a consular member.

I have nothing to worry about (I think), yet I'm pooping myself. What if they don't renew my passport ? I'll be kicked out of the country (literally !!).

Marlise

Just a thought Victoria, although perhaps bumping up expenses, but maybe you would benefit from the services of an immigration lawyer (only if you can't manage to untangle the red tape on your own that is).

Can't afford an immi' lawyer,hence why trying to do a wedding for no more than $1500 with a reception/party in my mum's backyard. Really can't afford the whole 'shebang' no matter how small.
As it is,so far, this immigration thing is probably going to eat about 500 of my 1500 budget..

So.. now looking for a free dress LOL:lol:

To add to matters, I can not reserve a date at the court house with a j/p for a civil ceremony UNTIL I have my citizenship established and papers in hand.

Hows that for a pisser?
UGH

lol:lol:

I know what you mean.

I need to have my passport renewed on the 21st, but because the passports are now Biometric, I actually need to go to London to apply in person and have to have a interview with a consular member.

I have nothing to worry about (I think), yet I'm pooping myself. What if they don't renew my passport ? I'll be kicked out of the country (literally !!).

Marlise

Sorry to hi-jack this Victoria - but I didnt think you needed to do this Marlise for renewals. The reason I ask is mine expired in May 07 and I need to renew mine too. :confused:

So.. now looking for a free dress LOL:lol:

To add to matters, I can not reserve a date at the court house with a j/p for a civil ceremony UNTIL I have my citizenship established and papers in hand.

Hows that for a pisser?
UGH

lol:lol:

try your local freecycle hun , its on yahoo , you never know you might get lucky , lol

try your local freecycle hun , its on yahoo , you never know you might get lucky , lol

AHHHHHHH freecycle!
never thought of that!!

THANKS!!:hug:

oh wow Victoria

how awful, i hope you get it sorted out real soon

Goes to show every country has a government that has no idea what it's doing with some of the laws it makes - obviously makes sense to someone but not the rest of us.

Mine was when I wanted to get my father added to my birth certificate - due to circumstances when I was born Mum didn't put his name on it. Anywho, about 5 years ago I ring up births, deaths and marriages and they say when he fills in the paperwork, my name is automatically transferred to his surname and I have to go through deed poll and pay to have my name legally changed back to the name I've had for 27 years - being my mums name. What the?

A couple of years ago the law was changed so when I had him fill in the paperwork I could keep my name.

AHHHHHHH freecycle!
never thought of that!!

THANKS!!:hug:

hey - go to the local press - tell everyone - 'spec the paying taxes bit !!lol you might get some good help and maybe a free dress and reception too?? sell your story to a trashy mag - anything to raise your profile. good luck
tracy
x

You poor thing, how stressful for you. . I hope someone comes to your aid Victoria, it shouldn't be this difficult.

AArrhhhh hun ... sending you a hugh:hug::hug::hug:

I have a wedding dress you can borrow.. It nothing fancy as hubby and I did our wedding on a really tight budget aswell.. But you are more than welcome if it fits...

Hope you get it sorted real soon. x x

AArrhhhh hun ... sending you a hugh:hug::hug::hug:

I have a wedding dress you can borrow.. It nothing fancy as hubby and I did our wedding on a really tight budget aswell.. But you are more than welcome if it fits...

Hope you get it sorted real soon. x x

That is SO generous of you to offer :hug::Love: and much appreciated.
But odds are, the shipping would be horrendous.
I've been looking on 'freecycle' and ebay... they do have some for under 200$. A friend is checking out a shop in FLA/USA that's having a 99$ sale right now, and she comes back from FLA in a month, she would pick it up for me IF she can find anything similar in style to pics I've shown her.

I've plenty of time to find a 'cheap/affordable' dress.
it's mroe the immigration stressing me out for delays, than anything else.

Giant hugs and smoochies to everyone!!

Have you got a pic that we can see? Someone here may find one or have one that would fit you. And I'm nosey as well! :)

I absolutely LOVE this dress (I have a long neck too):

http://montreal.craigslist.ca/clo/485499344.html

2003512858166066007_rs.jpg

OR these 'cuts' of dresses (without lace/beading and such, JUST PLAIN FABRIC), I'm also thinking shorter, without trains... but the styles are nice:

POWER SELLER PROMOTION!!NEW BRIDAL WEDDING GOWN Dress - (eBay.ca item 110210544622 end time 08-Jan-08 18:49:15 EST)

New Satin Halter Bridal WEDDING GOWNS/Dresses All Size - (eBay.ca item 120204621302 end time 06-Jan-08 21:14:53 EST)

Horn Cheer Sleeves WEDDING GOWNS/Dresses/Prom All Size - (eBay.ca item 120205284838 end time 08-Jan-08 23:33:39 EST)

CHARMING LACE WORK WEDDING DRESS /PROM GOWN HB139 - (eBay.ca item 130186905828 end time 08-Jan-08 11:16:31 EST)

RR*Satin Embroidery WEDDING DRESS/GOWN/PROM BRIDE RR205 - (eBay.ca item 220189405847 end time 09-Jan-08 04:40:40 EST)

Latest posts

Back