import tax

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angel fingers

Reaction score
has anyone ordered stuff from the u.s before? i'm curious to know how how import tax is calculated.

I buy my Quicksoak Bowls from the US and when they come into the UK I have to pay VAT at 17.5% plus Customs duty which is determined by what category they are in plus Parcelforce's handling charge to deliver them to me.

Generally if you are only looking to buy small items which are already available here then it probably is not worth the hassle LOL.

hi if you speak to them and they say it is a present you dont pay the tax prob doesnt work with big companies works on e bay xx

I think you have to pay import tax if the value of the goods is over £50.00

Hi
I recently got 'stung' when purchasing goods from the USA, had to pay 46.00 GBP customs and handling charges.

I phoned up Customs & Excise and they informed me that if the goods were UNDER the value of 18.00 GBP then no charges would be applied - anything above that - the charges start (Even if they state that the goods are a 'gift' - they have to state that they are UNDER the value of 36.00 GBP otherwise, again, charges will apply)

VIcky

Who are you thinking of ordering from?

nails@42ndstreet said:
Who are you thinking of ordering from?
well, i had an e mail from the nail supply source which got me curious, but its more for my jewellery making hobby because silver wire etc is about 1/2 the price i would pay in the u.k and i wanted to work out if i would still be better off after paying shipping and tax.

VickyB said:
Hi
I recently got 'stung' when purchasing goods from the USA, had to pay 46.00 GBP customs and handling charges.

I phoned up Customs & Excise and they informed me that if the goods were UNDER the value of 18.00 GBP then no charges would be applied - anything above that - the charges start (Even if they state that the goods are a 'gift' - they have to state that they are UNDER the value of 36.00 GBP otherwise, again, charges will apply)

VIcky
so who decides what the value of the goods is and do you have to prove it ?

angel fingers said:
so who decides what the value of the goods is and do you have to prove it ?

I think this is what is put on the shipping declaration when they send it to you.

yes it is so if you are dealing with a 'friendly' supplier they will price the goods under their actual value and you will 'get away' with it.

Watch the shipping costs from The Supply Source - they send international by Fed-Ex which works out very costly. The cheapest method of shipping (IMO) is by USPS - try to find a company that will ship using this method.

If you want to know more, call the cutoms and excise advice line on 0845 010 9000, or look at www.hmce.gov.uk and look under importing.

Most of our porducts come form America, i deal with 15 different suppliers! I pay an awful lot for postage, and import tax, :evil: which is normally at 3.2%, but that depends greatly on what you are bring in. I am vat registered so at least i get to claim the vat back.

If you let me know what you want, i can bring it in on my next order, as i will get some bits from the supply source, i will be ordering next week and it takes about 2/3 weeks for delivery. xxxxx

does anyone know if import tax would still be charged on items that arrive in an envelope by air mail ? :confused:

Hi there,

I recently used a company in the US to buy loads of items from, and although i did have to pay almost £50 import tax when the parcel was delivered, i still saved loads of money doing it thet way. The items i got cost me $590, inc shipping, which i think works out approximately £370, ish. Had i bought these things from the Uk, i would have paid around £760 for them, so you see even thought i had to pay a bit of import tax, i still made a HUGE saving!

Hope this helps,

Michelle.xx

You know, what we charge for nails in the UK is also about double what they charge in the USA ... so UK nail technicians ar no worse off in paying the normal UK charges for products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back