Impossible client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lipstick Kisses

Reaction score
Just a rant really, I have a client who is really starting to get on my nerves. I am mobile and I won't put details but the work environment she provides is less than desirable for many reasons and to top it off she seems to have no concept of time or acceptable hours! She asked for an appointment for nail extensions and Gelish and Gelish toes, I offered her 11am. She asked for something earlier so I said 9 (swapped a friends appointment to fit her in) but that was too late and asked for 10. I eventually agreed to 9.30 if we are quick. She's then texted me at 10 past midnight saying 'just confirming it is 9.30 tomorrow as I have to leave at 10.45' How is she expecting me to do nail extensions and Gelish toes in 1 hr and 15 mins??? I've replied this morning saying I can do 9 so we have more time but that's still a tight squeeze. She's not replied yet though.
I don't understand the way some people think! I think it's annoyed me more than usual because I'm not very well but my boyfriend is also annoyed on my behalf so it's not just me haha. What would you do?
Guess il go get ready then lol

Sometimes it's just not worth the money and stress. Can you not stop seeing her or would she get funny and cause you trouble?

I don't know, I've never successfully sacked a client before! When I've told her I'm fully booked before she gets a bit funny. She always claims she can only do weekends but when I've been fully booked before miraculously she finds a midweek morning she can do! She books quite regularly so I make quite a lot from her I just have to brace myself before going in lol. Just sat here now having a hot chocolate to get myself ready haha

You need to clearly state your "opening hours" somewhere on your marketing material. Separate phone number maybe??
The problem is when you are mobile,i used to be, the general public assume you are open 24 hours a day.
I would reply to texts at that hour as if it is a automated response."Sorry xyz nails is currently closed til the next working day at abc"
Also when they are booking ensure,which is sounds like you have tried to,that the client understands how long each treatment is...
Shes comparing your service to the local NSS where you are in and out in under a hour.If she wants cheap ,shoddy work then let her crack on.
If she wants a professional job with good quality work then she can come to you.
You can't rush perfection.
A nail technician is a ARTIST!
It is what it is...explain how long its gonna take and the balls in her court

I don't know, I've never successfully sacked a client before! When I've told her I'm fully booked before she gets a bit funny. She always claims she can only do weekends but when I've been fully booked before miraculously she finds a midweek morning she can do! She books quite regularly so I make quite a lot from her I just have to brace myself before going in lol. Just sat here now having a hot chocolate to get myself ready haha

Really is a case of biting your tongue if she is that good a paying client but shes not a bloody VIP.I think re print your price lists with timings on and opening hours..especially for her xx nevermind hot chocolate..sounds like your gonna need a vodka :hug:

Sound like you just need to be tough, like you said she miraculously finds time....give her your available appointments no swapping no tweaking for her benefit... You don't want or need to feel rushed!! At the end of the day she could possibly cancel now saying there isn't time and you could have been doing your friends!!

I am also mobile and had to get tough very tough a few months ago with everyone cuz I was being a bit of a push over trying to please everyone and hey hoe I didn't lose a single client!! Xx

Thanks everyone =) i have my phone set to do not disturb between 11 and 7 specifically because of her texting at ridiculous o'clock. Once she texted me at 2am to cancel when her appointment was at 9am! I know I should be more strict but we are saving for a house right now and my mantra has sort of become 'what would I rather? £xx amount for 2 hours stress or wait a bit longer for the house?' Seeing as my other half works 7.30 to 5.30 and doesn't complain (much) I usually feel guilty and just grin and bare it. All for the greater good of our own house =)

did you ever ponder putting an approximate time in and state "Please understand, each client is different and time required is approximate. it may take more or less time depending on the care you require"

This way you could put with your price list ... "Extensions (60m)...... $45".
By doing this it wouldn't be a surprise that you need at least 1.5-2h for mani/pedi that includes extensions?

if she insists on a 1.25h time limit do only her hands, do them right and say 'sorry there isn't time for your toes. To do it correctly i'd need another 40m. I don't want to do a shoddy job, because then neither of us will be satisfied."

How did it go in the end? :)

Yep it says on my website approximate times and she's had me do her nails and toes plenty of times before so I thought she knew!

I wouldn't bend over backwards for a customer that is a pain in the *** just be firm with the timings required for treatments and your available hours like the other geeks have said and if she can't flex with that, then so be it

One thing I've learned through the years is to never give off the vibe that I need them more than they need my services. I haven't been mobile as long as I've been an in-salon tech, but the attitudes of clients are much the same. Some are about as nice as they come, and I appreciate the level of respect we have between us. But some seem to think we are to go above and beyond what we are meant to provide to the public (ex. asking for ridiculous requests like picking up their dry cleaning while they're soaking), and think we have no life outside of work (ex. texting or calling at I'm-not-even-awake o' clock in the morning to respond to something from 2 days ago). Those clients, you just have to put your foot down. If you're not available then, you're not available. If you're fully booked, then you're fully booked. They need to understand you are not there to serve only them. When they waste your time, they waste other's time, and the same would apply to them if someone else wasted your time.

I'm just reading this post out of interest. I've come across a couple of difficult clients and I must say, from a business perspective, I find them to be a brilliant PR/Marketing exercise. There's always tactful ways to redirect how you run your business. The above post is spot on, never let on to a client that you need them more than they need you. They are approaching you because they need your services. if she's not happy with your times she can't say much if you've already clearly outlined your availability.

xProjectPrettyx

Latest posts

Back