In a bit of a pickle and after some advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahhh123

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Apologies now for the long post...

Basically I've been in this industry for 7 years, last salon I worked in did very well but left because I didn't like being on a commission and paying the owner a small fortune every week to do nothing. Moved to another salon as the rent was cheap...

Then realised I'd been FAR too hasty. The place is dirty and unprofessional, my appointments get messed up and I've had stuff stolen. My takings are down and I'm worried about my reputation as an established therapist. Now a family friend (very successful hairdresser and brilliant businessman) is opening up in the city centre and I was going to go with him until it came to light there was no room for beauty. He says as soon as the occupants upstairs leave (but that's an IF they leave at the mo) he will take on that shop aswell. But trouble is I don't want to wait. I want to leave like, now. I've seen an office space to let in a fort on a main bus route, and was thinking maybe I could just work alone? By fort I mean an actual military owned fort that has now been converted into office space. They also hold weddings there (could be a monopoly?) it's a beautiful landmark. Do you geeks think it could work there? It's a little out of the way but on a main road. What do I do? Sit tight and wait for these occupants to leave the other premises even tho it isn't a definate? Or go it alone?

Thankyou x

Heya,

Sorry to hear things aren't great at the mo :(

Is there no room at all for any of your services in the new hair salon?! Some beauty services don't take much space at all, I've rented a tiny room (more like a cupboard) and was a bit restricted just on a barbers chair...for tinting, brow, lip and chin waxing, mini facials, manis, pedis, makeup and lashes. The boss knew I'd outgrow it and do other bits and he had no space for me so gave me a fair rent...

With the other place can it defo be used for beauty? With converted office space you might need to double check it...and would you get a bit bored with no other hair or beauty pros? And you would be the only one booking your appointments, and when you have a base it is nice to have somebody do that for you....

I think it could be a good location but definitely would air my concerns regarding licensing of that premises and if you can carry out beauty there. Saying its an office must mean its basically a bare room I'm guessing? May cost you a small fortune to kit out and get all necessary licensing sorted. While doing all this you are still paying rent.

He reckons he can only fit nails in. And I've required about this office space but yes I do worry about getting lonely as I've worked in salons since I was a teenage Saturday girl (for the guy in question lol) I'm so stuck as of what to do. What sort of licensing would I need? X

You're best to contact the local council and they will tell you exactly what needs to be done and costs involved. Probably need the necessary salon/beauty licenses in place, then apply for a change of use on the premises in question (which can be refused). Remember have business rates on top of rent and bills on top.

Good luck! Worth checking out.

Latest posts

Back