In a dilemma please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca1107

Reaction score
I'm 29 and after many years of wanting to train as a hairdresser I'm doing it. I currently work full time so applied for an evening course. This is a level 2 VRQ. Anyway I've been accepted and need to go and enrol next week (last week to do it).
I want some salon experience whilst training so I've been ringing around salons to volunteer on a Saturday. There's a salon right around the corner from me, spoke to the lovely lady she was more than happy to offer me a Saturday job. After getting into a conversation with her she asked if I'd consider doing an apprenticeship as she's currently looking for one and is a tutor herself, I explained I don't think I could give up my current employment and survive on that salary. She said adult learners tend to learn fast, the faster I get through it and show commitment and common sense the faster pay rises. I'd love to be in a salon 5 days a week because I know the experience whilst training would be invaluable. I know I'd learn so much more than a one evening a week college course. I'm going in on Tuesday to speak to her but I've a week to make a decision!
The course I'm paying for myself is £1,250. What would you do?

I'm surprised she offered you an apprenticeship without giving you a trial first to see how you both get on. You're too old for the standard apprenticeship scheme so legally, she'd have to pay you adult rate minimum wage.
You could do with working in her salon and seeing if it suits you before giving up your secure job. Can you take some holiday from your job? Don't just jump in feet first without a back up plan.

Do you have to pay for the course upfront or can you defer payment for a couple of weeks?

She hasn't offered it to me as such she's just asked if I'd be interested and asked me to go in for a chat.
These are my concerns too, what if I'm rubbish at it, what if I don't get on with the girls, what if I hate it. All my eggs will be in one basket.

To secure my place on the course at college I've got to pay £500 on the day of enrolment.

I'm going to go and speak to her on Tuesday. Have a list of questions ready to ask and maybe see if I could train there part time so I'm not having to give up my current employment completely. Then if things don't go right I'm not totally screwed.

Have a look and see if you would be entitled to working tax credits, if you are then this would bump up your wage.

I am 28, I qualified this year and it is the best thing I did. I did it through college, but honestly if an apprenticeship had been offered then I would have much preferred that, but that's just my learning style.

I'm 38 and did that course last year. I currently do a late night and Saturday at a new local salon - I'm SO lucky! But I made it clear that I couldn't give up my full time job at the moment as we want to get a mortgage plus I cannot afford to do the level 3. SO she suggested I took top up courses and really has been challenging me by booking me in services I would not have done if I was mobile. I'm looking at the next two years as training even though I am earning in my time there. I hope to build up both a client base so that I can go full time and in the interim help her to build her new business. I feel REALLY good about achieving these two things probably because there is no financial pressure?

Latest posts

Back