In home salon, honest opinions please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im under Vbnails. Ive been like this for a little while now, Used to have a room upstairs but i gave my boys a bedroom back each. Ive worked in very a busy salon and ive rented a room before i had my boys but found for me working from home suits me now. I do work school hrs and Sat when needed, My husband would take the boys out or to their nans for the day, Some clients don't mind you having them around.( My boys are very well behaved thankfully). School holidays, yes i arrange child care. I am very lucky my youngest is 6, i get to take him and pick him up from school everyday and go to all the school plays. You cannot compare on how i work now to how i was when i was working in a salon, You will get clients that will want the salon setting and thats ok, Again im lucky to keep clients from way back when I was in the salon. Doing this part time keeps me a wage coming in and more than i would earn than if i was mobile for the amount of hours that i now do.

Wow I am so glad I made this thread! Look at all of you working in your dining rooms, I had NO idea. I would love to see pics of all your dining room set ups!

Wow I am so glad I made this thread! Look at all of you working in your dining rooms, I had NO idea. I would love to see pics of all your dining room set ups!

If I can make a hallway work you can definitely make your dining room work! You've got a fantastic space there to use and the dividers, should you use them, will be great too :) have a attached a recent pick of my hallway/studio and if you fancy a nose there's more pics on my website www.thenailboutiquemargate.co.uk/nailstudio

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1392640365458.jpg
    1392640365458.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 790
I think school holidays would be a nightmare for me think I will stick with evening appointments as my youngest is 14 months oldest 13. I don't have childcare so not a option for me, who looks after your kids

If I can make a hallway work you can definitely make your dining room work! You've got a fantastic space there to use and the dividers, should you use them, will be great too :) have a attached a recent pick of my hallway/studio and if you fancy a nose there's more pics on my website www.thenailboutiquemargate.co.uk/nailstudio

Happyfeet, your website is amazing. I love everything about it and the business name!x

I love this thread, I was afraid to admit I was planning to start working from home as sometimes people here can be a bit snobby! Reality is not everyone has the luxury of a ten bedrooms house or a lovely huge garage space but we can do nails well, we care about our clients and we produce high quality work. Why shouldn't we make our space work for us?!
I have a day job too and have been putting off resigning for months and just doing nails part time, turning away clients and generally procrastinating (much to the annoyance of all my friends and family) simply because I'm so scared about setting up from home and hate the mobile...but today finally (partially thanks to this thread) I am actually going to do it!!!

Aw thank you xx

Yay my Dad said he should be able to come over tomorrow to do the table etc! Gonna decorate that wall today and put the mirror up! Need to bring y certificates back from college Friday! And in my out house I have a load of old kitchen cupboards gonna use that to make a shelf to display my nail varnishes! Il send you a picture once iv decorated it today then just get the dad round with his drill to sort the rest lol

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

I love this thread, I was afraid to admit I was planning to start working from home as sometimes people here can be a bit snobby! Reality is not everyone has the luxury of a ten bedrooms house or a lovely huge garage space but we can do nails well, we care about our clients and we produce high quality work. Why shouldn't we make our space work for us?!
I have a day job too and have been putting off resigning for months and just doing nails part time, turning away clients and generally procrastinating (much to the annoyance of all my friends and family) simply because I'm so scared about setting up from home and hate the mobile...but today finally (partially thanks to this thread) I am actually going to do it!!!

Yay! So pleased to hear this :)

I am definitely in the procrastinating stage. Lol

X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I also work out of my open plan dining/living/kitchen area :)

my clients don't mind one bit, they know I'm a home salon and thats why I'm a little bit cheaper and my kids are around after school (thankfully a bit older so not too clingy anymore) and they come back because I do a good job. You will always get people who will pay that bit extra to go to a fancy looking salon and thats fine too. I've only been doing this properly since about Sept 2013 and starting to now get quite a few regular clients who book in every two weeks its really nice :)

good luck after quitting your other job ! thats one thing I'm too scared to do right now so will hang onto it a bit longer and see how things go :)

one day (lol) when hubby cleans out the spare room of his junk it will be my nail room !!!

I may have got carried away lol! Me with Paint and silver marker pens on an empty wall is bad lolImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392653879.586502.jpg
Going to have the wall mounted drop leaf table where the draws are, a nail polish display on the left, certificates along the top and on the right of the mirror a smaller hand held for showing clients the back of their head! So it will only take up this much space when it's all folded away!

Oh my god that's FANTASTIC, it's a hallway?? It looks wonderfully private and intimate, I love it! See that's what I want the dividers for, to make the area more intimate and aid in space transformation. I'm in love with your little hall salon. You're a complete inspiration, thank you. *hugs*.

Aw thanks lovely. I won't lie I love my little studio come hallway- when I first decorated I just used to sit in there... with no clients haha.

You'll create a great space. Your home looks lovely and inviting and with the room dividers you'll create a perfect space. Get on it missus! And post some pics when you're done. Good luck xxx

Aw thanks lovely. I won't lie I love my little studio come hallway- when I first decorated I just used to sit in there... with no clients haha.

You'll create a great space. Your home looks lovely and inviting and with the room dividers you'll create a perfect space. Get on it missus! And post some pics when you're done. Good luck xxx

Thank you! I promise to post pictures when it's all finished. :D

I'm just about to move house, its quite small but hoping to section off part of my front room. It wont be a huge space but you've given me hope!

Those who have got screens, where did you get them from?

I'm just about to move house, its quite small but hoping to section off part of my front room. It wont be a huge space but you've given me hope!

Mines only small! But it's all wall mounted and foldable! Will be for hair, make up and nails! As long as it's all set up nice when clients arrive that's all that matters

I'll get mine from Jysk. It's another Swedish company like Ikea. Only cheaper lol.

So I'm hugely into up-cycling so I have up cycled and created my pop up home salon! Nothing here was paid for! This is the closed salonImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392735690.169850.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392735700.822411.jpg
This is for nails
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392735716.227973.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392735726.208435.jpg
And this is for hair and makeup
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392735744.800677.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1392735757.618624.jpg
It's small and rustic but I love it!

Just need to print some promo posters, price lists and some offer flyers! Hang up my certificates and get a bigger mirror!

Latest posts

Back