Increase in awkward clients ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
I've noticed from reading the threads on here that there seems to be an awful lot of clients complaining, moaning and being pretty agressive.

Why is this ?

I know there have always been difficult clients but I can't remember it ever being this bad. I work from home now so generally only take on clients from word of mouth but even when I worked in the salon and spas there weren't that many complaints and they were usually genuine and fairly minor compared what I read on here these days !

Is it because treatments are more affordable due to the amount of undercutting that goes on and therefore literally attracts all sorts ? Are people expecting much more for there money ?

I also cannot believe the amount of clients that threaten legal action its crazy !

I think it's because more people want something for nothing, partly because money is tight for everyone, partly because it's a challenge to see if you can manage it. I think websites like Groupon and so on have contributed to this.

I think it's because more people want something for nothing, partly because money is tight for everyone, partly because it's a challenge to see if you can manage it. I think websites like Groupon and so on have contributed to this.

Yes i agree. The reason i don't think id ever do any kind of deal. When i started i had a trial price of £20 for a full set of lashes. Now they have gone up obviously. One month i was slow so i had a 50% off offer on my Facebook. Never ever again. Out of 8 people i had 6 with complaints. Complaints i don't get when i charge full whack! People look after and appreciate their treatments when they have paid a decent and fair amount. People who go for offers usually do on a whim, and dont really bother following aftercare. Deal seekers i now steer clear of x

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

Personally, I don't care if they spend the rent money with me. It's their choice. But if they do, I'm not prepared to lower my standards by giving them their money back when they've had a good service ...
If they can get the original price back from you because they've moaned, all the better for them - and all the worse for you. Stick to your guns. As someone already said, if the client values what you do for a fair price, they'll look after their investment - and come back.

Also, the clients who come because it's cheap will never be repeat booking clients ... they're a one off. Why give people who will never come back a discount? Groupon and the like ...? No thanks - I'm worth more than that ...

Clients that only come because it's cheap, in the main are hard up. If they spend twenty quid on a beauty deal, they quite often cant even afford that and will regret spending their leccy bill money on lashes etc. I think thats why they aggressively try and get their money back.

I also think the media has a massive part in this, people see for instance Cheryl cole looking fab with Eyelash extensions so they go online look for a cheap deal book the treatment have it done and unfortunately they still don't look like a celebrity and they complain, it's like people expect miracles

I agree with all of you, especially about group on and clients spending money for bills on treatments then wanting it back !

I have noticed that a lot of the client problems on here seem to stem from mega cheap treatments in the first place. Its quite rare to see an established high end salon have a problem unless its an offer they have done.

It's such a shame. I was saying just yesterday that I would never risk no insurance simply because I've heard so many stories of people taking legal action and a rise in it since the recession hit.

Why can't we all just get along...? I'm contemplating bringing back the hippie era with peace and love lol... x

Groupon et al
no win no fee 'let's see what I can get for you solicitors'
one day therapists offering substandard treatments
even worse - the unqualified therapist (I mean how hard can it be?)
young naieve therapists who cannot handle the more experienced professional moaner
the have it all now culture even if you cannot afford it brigade
using ebay as your salon supplier
the new business owner who just cannot afford it and cuts corners

Yes you are right about the increase of customer complaints and even the odd ones threatening to sue!

I personally believe that the main reason is that clients have ALOT of choice these days. Many years ago, there weren't so many beauty salons around so they didnt have much choice.

Some clients go out of their way to make us therapists miserable BECAUSE they know it is a competitive industry. It's as if they are doing us a favour when they book in with us. We bend more more backwards for them, to the point where there are no boundaries. So whenever they come, they want more and more from us. They know we love and are passionate about our jobs, so they try to take as much as they can - if we allow them to!

That is why you should always remember that clients are not your friends - you never know what they are telling another Therapist about you or your work.

Being a Therapist is not just about doing treatments - it's about being assertive, have some kind of financial understanding and setting boundaries between two parties!!

We are in a customer service industry and its going to happen - we get a cross section of society and some are lovely and some will moan. I think the reason could be that 'beauty' is not so exclusive now and is more mainstream - so hence mainstream customers. I think what happens to us is no different from other service industries.

xx

I also think it's a lot to do with the new generation of therapists who have had poor and / or limited training.

Yes, some can do a one day course and find they have a natural aptitude for the treatment and excel, but many are turning out shoddy treatments, coming on here to whine about their clients complaining, getting lots of support and not even considering that the client may have a point, never mind the client is always right.

I also think it's a lot to do with the new generation of therapists who have had poor and / or limited training.

Yes, some can do a one day course and find they have a natural aptitude for the treatment and excel, but many are turning out shoddy treatments, coming on here to whine about their clients complaining, getting lots of support and not even considering that the client may have a point, never mind the client is always right.

Agreed. At the start I had my share of complaints - that's how you know how to improve.

I do think its a combination of all that has been mentioned on here but really its the voucher deals that are the nail in the coffin.

we now live in a sue-happy society and people are becoming a lot more assertive, with a handful of professional chancers.

I do not offer huge discounts because I do not want that type of client. if a client does not behave I sack them.....therefore I have a lovely clientele. I have people who value the treatments they have with me.

We need boundaries and rules. After all once they fill in a consultation form they have entered into a contract. You must stress what you want from your client as much as listening to what they want.

I have a sneaky feeling that some clients complain to see if they can get a discount on my services. I think that my clients have worked out that I am a soft touch lol.

I do tend to give a litte bit extra to my clients if they were unhappy with my previous treatment and I think they have worked this out and told their friends lol and so they target me for free stuff.

Anyway I have been doing nails long enough to take the rough with the smooth. My clients are NOT smarter than me even though they think they are:rolleyes::wink2:. I just humour them at times which I think is necessary in the service industry??. But I am pretty good at putting my foot down if it all gets too much x

I'm thinking as well as all the very good answers above, we've become a 'culture of blame' - it is always someone elses fault, i've even heard of people complaining when they are on holiday that there is seaweed on the beach!

AND a vast amount of the complainers are just plain greedy, they want as much for as little as possible and if they can generate a bit of cashback from complaining they will ( don't get if you don't ask attitude).

Try to avoid such people if at all possible methinks:smack:

Clients that only come because it's cheap, in the main are hard up. If they spend twenty quid on a beauty deal, they quite often cant even afford that and will regret spending their leccy bill money on lashes etc. I think thats why they aggressively try and get their money back.

Agree 100%. They can't afford to come otherwise and then they receive this magical discount offer, book in and then regret it. How do they get their money back? Bitch and moan.

I have a sneaky feeling that some clients complain to see if they can get a discount on my services.

I've seen this first hand. We had a client that would call in on day 13 of her Shellac application complaining that her polish had chipped. By the time management caught on, she had received several complimentary services.

I'm thinking as well as all the very good answers above, we've become a 'culture of blame' - it is always someone elses fault.

No one wants to blame the man in the mirror.

We bend more more backwards for them, to the point where there are no boundaries.

I refuse to bend for fear I will get screwed.

There seems to be a flood of youngsters fresh outta college opening their own shops that daddy set up for them.. Or maybe it's just where I live.. Every other shop is a salon of some kind! Japanese nail bars.. Chain hairdressers where u don't have to book etc.. I think that as the recession hit the customer then felt like they had the upper hand.. Creating a surge of complaining 'where is the red carpet' bad tempered clients! I did actually have a lady booked in for her hair doing a few months ago.. She threatened to sue me if she don't like her hair.. I removed the gown n sent her out of the shop! :) I don't get paid enough to take that !

Do you think that it is generally the customer that is wrong but are some salons/therapists, not up to scratch with their customer service skills ?

I have had an incident this morning (I was the customer) where I ended up getting what I wanted but it was an awful situation and I feel really hacked off this afternoon. I will explain and you can tell me what you think, its not beauty related but its a classic example of two sides thinking they were right ! I will try and keep this short !

Last week my son was sick on the carpet which prompted me to get them cleaned, I got several quotes and one very nice man said he would come out the same day to clean the sick area then come back the following week to do the rest.
Today he came and told my boyfriend whilst I was out that two bathrooms I had asked to be cleaned were not in the quote and I would have to pay £20 extra bringing the total to £100. I was furious drove home and confronted him half way up the stairs ! After arguing it out he said he would do the bathrooms as I was getting all huffy and puffy with him. He said I never at any point mentioned the bathrooms. I did 3 times, once in the initial phone call and twice whilst he was here.
Luckily this was resolved but he could go away and tell everyone he knew that I was a vile customer demanding stuff that was never agreed when in my opinion he has totally messed it up.

It made me think that a lot of things read on here about nightmare clients are just one persons story and the clients could be totally different. I still agree with everything wrote on this thread but I do wonder if a lot of the problems encountered are down to poor communication.

Does the client that complains about her nail enhancements understand that the technician is newly trained ? Had she seen a portfolio of the work the technician has done ? Maybe she thought she was getting super thin nails but instead got doorstops ?

I think it's entirely different to be honest.. We have price lists which clearly state how much a service will cost.. And our prices reflect our experience. With ur carpet cleaning it's a grey area (excuse the pun lol) it's always best to get a full quote and in writing. Or better still go to someone reputable. I had to have my drains unblocked and I was told it wud cost £90 it ended up costing £180.. Annoyed? Yes I was, as they added callout! It's not like I cud go to them for that service! I don't think in our industry we have a habit of ripping ppl off.. It's a very personal service aswell.. More intimate than having a carpet cleaned.. There has to be an element of trust.. I think that's why it's such a shock wen a client turns funny on us!

When making bookings for hotels, restaurants etc I find e-mails invaluable.
After a phone call I always e-mail, stating what has been agreed, and ask them to confirm.
(I think I may be a bit of a control freak!)

Latest posts

Back