Indecisive, negative, energy sucking client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline_music_

Reaction score
I have a client who has recently moved to me from someone else. The first consultation lasted 30 minutes whilst she bitched about her previous stylist so alarm bells started to ring...

So I did her colour, she complained non-stop about every aspect of her life, I worked quickly and professionally as possible and thankfully she was delighted with the result, I toned down bright white magma highlights to a more subtle high lift tint, bleach and 7/73, fine, lots of them. It was gorgeous.

She books in again and tells me she is thinking of a change. She wants balyage type colour but isn't sure. She showed me endless Instagram edited-to-death pics on stunning, stick thin models. I consulted carefully managing her expectations. I told her she would feel a lot darker (she's always been an upper middle-class competitive Mum kind of blond). I talked her through the pros and cons, yet again another 30 minute consultation. I told her not to do it unless she is 100 % sure. Plus I really don't want her bitching about me to all the other mums at school (she is friendly with several of my clients). In the end she goes for it and I was pretty bloody delighted with the result. I remained friendly and professional with her despite her yet again sucking the life blood out of me with her negativity. I foiled with highlift, took her roots to a 7 melted into 8 into 9 then 10. It was divine (if I do say so myself) She started saying afterwards, oh its dark, I'll have to get used to it and I could tell she knew she'd regretted her choice. She said that her husband had told her not to go darker so then he walks in and says oh you're darker but it doesn't look that bad.
So I see her today and say 'have you got a bit more used to it?' And she says 'people keep complementing me on it but I don't know whether to believe them, I think they're just saying it.' I said 'they probably wouldn't say if they didn't like it.' She said 'I'm looking at them to see if I can tell they're lying.'

Seriously wtf, I was offended. The colour is really nice and suits her skin and eye colour so much more, it was exactly what she'd asked for.

She drives me insane and I've only done her hair twice. She began another rant about her crap -huge 4 bedroom house by the sea, in an affluent area, husband with great job she only needs to work 2 days- kind of life. I asked her if she ever took any time for herself, she said no. I think she might need medical help, meds to calm down or something. I come away feeling anxious, questioning my ability, feeling like I need to cleansed of her really bad vibes. Is it just me? Does anyone else ever get clients like that? Do you keep them on or do get rid? Help!

Huge sympathy from me. She does sound like hard work and a borderline narcissist. :confused:

A few thoughts:

Could you implement a price increase (just for her) to cover the extra time it takes to do the consultation? Don't tell her that but that it's just a general price increase. Might not feel so frustrating if you're earning more from her appointment. (I have a client that is a complainer throughout the appointment so I charge her €10 more than my other clients for a cut/finish and she happily pays up.)

Bonus, she might not accept the increase and so slight possibility that she will go somewhere else?

Make sure you allow some chill-out time immediately after the appointment (dog walking/ cake&coffee shop stop?) to re-energise. I indulge in lovely cake treat from my fave cake shop or a coastal walk, if it's good weather and I'm in the mood. Because, she's paying more, she's effectively buying my cake therapy. :)

Again, my client is friends with some of my other clients (all word of mouth). So if she starts moaning about one of them, I politely remind her that we all know each other and I'm there with my hairdressing hat on and not a social visit. That way, I can focus on the job and not listen to irritating gossip.

I have a client who has recently moved to me from someone else. The first consultation lasted 30 minutes whilst she bitched about her previous stylist so alarm bells started to ring...

So I did her colour, she complained non-stop about every aspect of her life, I worked quickly and professionally as possible and thankfully she was delighted with the result, I toned down bright white magma highlights to a more subtle high lift tint, bleach and 7/73, fine, lots of them. It was gorgeous.

She books in again and tells me she is thinking of a change. She wants balyage type colour but isn't sure. She showed me endless Instagram edited-to-death pics on stunning, stick thin models. I consulted carefully managing her expectations. I told her she would feel a lot darker (she's always been an upper middle-class competitive Mum kind of blond). I talked her through the pros and cons, yet again another 30 minute consultation. I told her not to do it unless she is 100 % sure. Plus I really don't want her bitching about me to all the other mums at school (she is friendly with several of my clients). In the end she goes for it and I was pretty bloody delighted with the result. I remained friendly and professional with her despite her yet again sucking the life blood out of me with her negativity. I foiled with highlift, took her roots to a 7 melted into 8 into 9 then 10. It was divine (if I do say so myself) She started saying afterwards, oh its dark, I'll have to get used to it and I could tell she knew she'd regretted her choice. She said that her husband had told her not to go darker so then he walks in and says oh you're darker but it doesn't look that bad.
So I see her today and say 'have you got a bit more used to it?' And she says 'people keep complementing me on it but I don't know whether to believe them, I think they're just saying it.' I said 'they probably wouldn't say if they didn't like it.' She said 'I'm looking at them to see if I can tell they're lying.'

Seriously wtf, I was offended. The colour is really nice and suits her skin and eye colour so much more, it was exactly what she'd asked for.

She drives me insane and I've only done her hair twice. She began another rant about her crap -huge 4 bedroom house by the sea, in an affluent area, husband with great job she only needs to work 2 days- kind of life. I asked her if she ever took any time for herself, she said no. I think she might need medical help, meds to calm down or something. I come away feeling anxious, questioning my ability, feeling like I need to cleansed of her really bad vibes. Is it just me? Does anyone else ever get clients like that? Do you keep them on or do get rid? Help!

Next time....Be busy! :cool:

Great advice. I realise the irony in my post, I am complaining about her complaining. Thank you for your reply. I feel so much better already. Most of my clients are amazing and a joy to work with so I will take comfort in that and I love the idea of a cake reward :)

Latest posts

Back