Independent Beauty ??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as someone who is totally independent with regards to beauty brands...??

If we are totally honest you would say ...this brand has the best night cream....but this brand does the best eye cream and that brand has the most amazing cleanser....

I always defer from going to beauty professionals in salons and department stores cos they will (understandably) rate all the products via the brand they are representing....but are they really the best out there...?? for each and every product.

So do any of you work independently and not just for a certain brand...??

Most of us must be independent? I have 3 skincare ranges, I could have any number if I wanted to, but that would be a bit expensive lol

I am looking at a fourth..

Seriously, I know where you're coming from because if I went to the Clinique counter (perish the thought) then obviously they could only sell me Clinique but unless we work in a salon and have no say in what products are used, then we are independednt.

I don't think you can say there is a best cleanser or a best night cream because everyone's skin is so different and also peoples objectives are different.

Hi I know what you are getting at but I well researched several companies before choosing the brands I am stocking. I chose Nimue by the way. it depends on what you are promoting and what your target market is. I chose them because they can cater for a wide range of skins although they only list four main types (many variations fall into these types) and offer sensible, proven results with great quality ingredients. Some beauty therapists may chose to market organic or pamper type treatments. As we are all individuals we have different needs and perceive products to mean different things. Also our skins react to different preparations so one person thinking a product is great may not be pleased with another. Read The Skin Type Solution by Dr Leslie Baumann I think she lists 16 different skin types and why we react differently than the next person.:lol:

Its difficult because we choose a brand because we like the way it feels on OUR skins - another person may completely disagree with you - find it brings them out in spots.

I have a few brands I deal with - mainly because I like them - and like what it does for me. But I think that generally makes me a bad sales person - I am too honest - I dont go out to sell the client a product just because I like it.

But I understand that if your looking for something and you like it - the salesperson wants you to buy the whole range because this works better with that and you get better results if you use that as well - blah blah.

I also find the reccomendations in magazines crap too - a journalist uses it then says a celeb uses it - so we want it - buy it - and find it a bit dissapointing!!

Maybe there is a market for this kind of consultant who can be totally non biased and give honest advice - a bit like a personal shopper. Who knows!!!:)

Hi

Instyle magazine do a best buy for products every year, dermalogica always has loads of products in it, as do cnd.

In fact dermalogica is in the book of brands, so if your looking for something thats been voted by the public check out the instyle product awards.

PR can make a product look good. Sometimes the product is good. Not always. But it still depends on what suits the individual.

PR can make a product look good. Sometimes the product is good. Not always. But it still depends on what suits the individual.
Too bloody right girl:green:

I use a brand that has had NO PR whatsoever....but my clients love it,i love it,it gets the result,has everything for every skin type and superceeds all expectations....yet my clientele never heard of it....until thay experienced a treatment,and told in laymans terms what the treatment and brand could give for them:)

Oh....did i not mention the brand...:rolleyes::lol:....Academie...I have never,in all the brands that i have worked with come across a well respected French skin care with such longevity,over 80 years,in fact they started the first beauty school in 1926 in Paris....ok i wont go on anymore....LMAO:lol:

I forgot the point of topic now:eek::lol:

Latest posts

Back